Gifted Education Programme

Solar

Turbocharged

I understand that kids in both GEP and non GEP will go thru the same PSLE.

Some bypassed and went thru their choice secondary school via DSA.

Like some has mentioned, GEP kids don't start preparing for PSLE until P6.

So that's the consideration u have to make.

For us, we are not too sure if it was a wrong decision to skip the chance, but the school has given him the opportunity in many activitys and competitions, such as Math Olympiad, and he always manage to bring back to the school a trophy.

He is able to shine, but that probably won't happen if he's among the best.

↡ Advertisement

for me, I was ex GEP 30+ years ago. The thought of rejecting GEP NEVER crossed my mind.

I always believe its your peers that affect you the most... my daughter is now too relaxed for her studies, she needs to see the "higher mountain"

Why don't you believe your kid can continue to top in the GEP class?

Edited by Wind30

she is primary 3. selection test is at primary3

OH HAHA. somehow i got this thread mixed up with PSLE  [dead]  [:p]  Congrats man!

for me, I was ex GEP 30+ years ago. The thought of rejecting GEP NEVER crossed my mind.

I always believe its your peers that affect you the most... my daughter is now too relaxed for her studies, she needs to see the "higher mountain"

Why don't you believe your kid can continue to top in the GEP class?

i was from the non-GEP section in my sec school. But i think good lah. Especially some of the GEP kids are quite intellectual. Normal curriculum, they will get bored easily. They have peers to interact with them who also have these intellectual mindset, also can click better.

Frankly, most GEP kids will stick out like a sore thumb in the non-GEP section.

OH HAHA. somehow i got this thread mixed up with PSLE  [dead]  [:p]  Congrats man!

i was from the non-GEP section in my sec school. But i think good lah. Especially some of the GEP kids are quite intellectual. Normal curriculum, they will get bored easily. They have peers to interact with them who also have these intellectual mindset, also can click better.

Right. If the child is naturally gifted, then it's better for him or her to join the GEP. In a normal curriculum, they'd be bored and too idle, and that's where the problems start.

GEP has loads of work and activities, frankly, I suspect, is just to occupy the kids so that they don't get into trouble [laugh]

Parents should note that GEP kids only prep for PSLE during their P6, and usually do not do extremely well in PSLE. Easy questions kill them because they think too deeply. But to get the gifted kid to follow the conventional route in most schools where the "drilling" for PSLE using endless repetitive exercises starts as early as P4 ... I think it will just 'kill' them [laugh]

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Right. If the child is naturally gifted, then it's better for him or her to join the GEP. In a normal curriculum, they'd be bored and too idle, and that's where the problems start.

GEP has loads of work and activities, frankly, I suspect, is just to occupy the kids so that they don't get into trouble [laugh]

Parents should note that GEP kids only prep for PSLE during their P6, and usually do not do extremely well in PSLE. Easy questions kill them because they think too deeply. But to get the gifted kid to follow the conventional route in most schools where the "drilling" for PSLE using endless repetitive exercises starts as early as P4 ... I think it will just 'kill' them [laugh]

The PSLE thing is one of the reason particularly my wife was worried about. There's no advantage in PSLE and has a risk of flunking cos they start really late.

On the other hand, like u rightly pointed, my kid finds school and homework boring.

What my wife did was to do our own 'GEP' for him.. gave him mini projects and assessment questions and lots of outside books like non-fiction like the LKY memoirs. He loves them. (I nearly doze off after the first few chapters

Turbocharged

OH HAHA. somehow i got this thread mixed up with PSLE [dead][:p] Congrats man!

That's true.

Some kids don't like that, prob label them as show off.

More nasty ones will bully them.

My brother was a gep chap 30 years ago

That guy is really is genius

Uni that time, never study, play basketball, go to church, dean list

What happened to your brother’s Brother?

GEP is probably not the best term, these are very high ability kids based on the assessment at P3 for Math & English.

Only a few are really gifted beyond their age either in one or more domains

So at the end, its an individual choice (based on several factors, schs, personality etc) whether to choose the curriculum if selected.

GEP or no GEP, at that age and over 3 years, it wont make any difference in the long run because in secondary schools things eventually even out

The main advantage of GEP is the DSA but with the new changes doing away with GA test and focusing on individual talents and domains, this perceived advantage becomes not so relevant anymore. 

• Praise 10

Guess a lot depend on the child and how GEP will benefit the child. I allow my daughter to take the test but I told that is just to gauge her ability. She will remain in her school and sit for her PSLE. She was delighted she managed to qualify for GEP and happy to remain in her school cos she will continue to have free time to do the things she likes eg. swimming, reading, drawing, playing with her brother and dogs, etc. after she complete her homework.  

• Praise 3

The PSLE thing is one of the reason particularly my wife was worried about. There's no advantage in PSLE and has a risk of flunking cos they start really late.

On the other hand, like u rightly pointed, my kid finds school and homework boring.

What my wife did was to do our own 'GEP' for him.. gave him mini projects and assessment questions and lots of outside books like non-fiction like the LKY memoirs. He loves them. (I nearly doze off after the first few chapters

Guess a lot depend on the child and how GEP will benefit the child. I allow my daughter to take the test but I told that is just to gauge her ability. She will remain in her school and sit for her PSLE. She was delighted she managed to qualify for GEP and happy to remain in her school cos she will continue to have free time to do the things she likes eg. swimming, reading, drawing, playing with her brother and dogs, etc. after she complete her homework.  

so she is in a non GEP school or already in a school with GEP classes inside?

If you leave it to the kid, every kid will want to stay with their friends. I am surprised that gep has such bad press now. I have mostly good memories about my time in gep and most my peers seem to like it too. I think it is because of all those parents who drill average kids and make them join gep. When their kids feel stressed out, they have a bad impression of gep....

I don’t remember having less free time in gep. I don’t think we did more stuff, just more interesting stuff.

My wife and I have nothing against GEP. In fact we feel it is good to for those who want to learn more and not having to ‘dumb down’ to wait for others to catch up.

My daughter is, by nature, competitive and we took some effort to put her in an average school instead of sending her to my wife’s ala mater (I also didn’t send my son to my ala mater but for a very different reason) so she take her study easier and feel more readily to explore other aspect of her childhood eg. Playing with toys, baking, cooking, catching insect, playing football & rugby, etc. So we are not going to undo all that by putting into a GEP school. She has a lot more studying to do in future while her childhood is slipping away very quickly.

My neighbour’s kids transferred to a GEP school and seems happy....so it doesn’t mean going to GEP school = unhappy and stressful kids.

• Praise 1

I observed my relative kids that came out from this system,

High iq but low eq.

Nothing to do with the kid. It's your relative for not inculcating the right values.

• Praise 1

Unfortunately, some parents pushed their children in the GEP program (whether their children natural or not) because they look at it as boasting rights. That is so wrong. The poor kid suffer because of the parents.

↡ Advertisement