What make and model worth renew COE after 10 years

Maskedrider

Neutral Newbie

I'd say go with your own judgement.

If the car have no major issues, and you only need to go from Point A - B, renewing would be a good choice.

Too much 3rd party opinion causes analysis paralysis  [smash]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

inspection is at yr 3, 5, 7, 9. Near 10 yr, no need inspection. But after renew, at 11 yr, need to go again. In 6 mth's time, i can tell you whether yr 12 got inspection or it's still same (once every 2 yr)...

renewing is v simple. Dun even need go LTA. Can use internet banking. Just clicked, done...

That, is exactly what all the new car salesmen are hoping for [laugh]

Can help ensure that they continue to get paid salary and comms... :grin:

and is every workshop's nightmare [bigcry]

COE car is annual inspection

• Praise 2

Most people kiam siap on major parts replacement, that's why say not worth renewing.

They rather spend the morer $$$ on new ride 'cos got new car smell. :D

Maybe its the Singapore air or maybe all cars brought in Singapore are fed some kind of drugs.. most cars past 8 years will suddenly show signs of aging. Even in nearby Malaysia, B&B cars can last 20 yrs or more no problem. But here, 10 year old cars suddenly need eldershield n high hospital fees

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Not advisable to Renew COE for >1600cc vehicle as PARF is High >$10K

OK for those <1600cc (less than)

It depends on what type of cars.

Statistics show otherwise. Many many many many many many more Cat B cars have been renewed vs Cat A since COE was introduced.

Not when you stand to lose >$40K in PARF rebate and have to pay in excess of $4,000 road tax from its 15th year onward!

I'd rather deregister my car on its 10th year and get a new one!

those porsche and ferrari owners who renew are dumbos then...according to your theory. And there are quite a few.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

But if PQP too high, can't do internet banking unless got SCB account. All my other accounts only can do up to 50k for internet banking.

Oh, you are likely correct.

Mine was $58k+  [bigcry]

and I did use SCB...

• Praise 2

you have been staying in Singapore for too long and probably got brain washed that cars, especially small ones are a liability to keep after 10 years. 

I didnt say its a liability bro.

I think i will feel safer driving an Attrage than a 10 year old Vios/Altis.

After 10 years, cars will become less efficient & having a drop in their performance, etc.

Higher CC cars wont feel so much difference as its usually more powerful than smaller CC cars.

In other words, theres still performance & stable ride due to it being bigger. But smaller CC cars are a different case.

• Praise 2

After 10 years, cars will become less efficient & having a drop in their performance, etc.

Higher CC cars wont feel so much difference as its usually more powerful than smaller CC cars.

In other words, theres still performance & stable ride due to it being bigger. But smaller CC cars are a different case.

I beg to differ leh bro. my FD1 civic 1.8 still drives like the day when we collected it from KAH motors in 2006 (albeit with proper maintenance)

• Praise 6

I beg to differ leh bro. my FD1 civic 1.8 still drives like the day when we collected it from KAH motors in 2006 (albeit with proper maintenance)

Yes bro. Civic 1.8 is towards a higher CC car.

Lower CC cars are like Chery QQ, Chevrolet Spark , Hyundai Verna, Toyota Vios.. etc..

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Yes bro. Civic 1.8 is towards a higher CC car.

Lower CC cars are like Chery QQ, Chevrolet Spark , Hyundai Verna, Toyota Vios.. etc..

My Hyundai Verna drove exactly the same at 10 year old. My uncle drives a COE Vios and not much difference also. Mostly cosmetic stuff and more vibrations. Power and FC roughly the same.

• Praise 3

Lol. Two months ago we renewed my wife's Subaru R2 for another 10 years... Not true that there is any drop in performance... It is as under powered today as it was the day she collected it fro the showroom. You just adapt to what you drive and it is fine... :-)

In fact I think a basic bread and butter car with simple gearbox and accessories is much better to keep for the long term than some massively complex and computer laden atas ride that then develops all sorts of costly gremlins in its silver years...

• Praise 7

Maybe its the Singapore air or maybe all cars brought in Singapore are fed some kind of drugs.. most cars past 8 years will suddenly show signs of aging. Even in nearby Malaysia, B&B cars can last 20 yrs or more no problem. But here, 10 year old cars suddenly need eldershield n high hospital fees

It might be because car owners neglected the maintenance of their cars from 8 Yr old knowing that it is going to be scrapped anyway
  • Praise 2

Lol. Two months ago we renewed my wife's Subaru R2 for another 10 years... Not true that there is any drop in performance... It is as under powered today as it was the day she collected it fro the showroom. You just adapt to what you drive and it is fine... :-)

In fact I think a basic bread and butter car with simple gearbox and accessories is much better to keep for the long term than some massively complex and computer laden atas ride that then develops all sorts of costly gremlins in its silver years...

What's ur mileage bro?

It might be because car owners neglected the maintenance of their cars from 8 Yr old knowing that it is going to be scrapped anyway

not sure bro. I have friends who intended to renew COE so maintained their car well but end up scrapping cos more n more higher price parts need replacement. It was an Odyssey, Merc B class, Altis and Rush. Don't think these cars are among those known for reliability issues.

• Praise 1

(edited)

One dealer told me if renew 10 yr coe today and deregister the next day, LTA will straight away deduct 20% of the coe value before refund. Is that true?

Edited by currypuff
  • Praise 1

I had a R1 and fuel consumption was 16km/l. Didnt renew and bought a 9yr lapin. Fuel consumption was bad... 12km/l. Am thinking of renewal next yr april but wonder if its worth it. Probably will need overhaul as previous owner covered 250000km....whats your advice?
↡ Advertisement