What make and model worth renew COE after 10 years

Maskedrider

Twincharged

By renewing COE you are in fact resigning to fate and accepting the high COE price (which is by the way determined by others) by paying the current PQP without a "fight".

It is better to let the COE recycle in the market and release more quota which will in theory lower the "strike" price.

Think of all the bids lined up from the highest to the lowest. As you move further to the right (quota), the lower the bid price would be which will in turn determine the COE price.

The more people doing this (scrap and release COE) the greater the effect (of lower COE) would be. It's time to think of the greater good.

On the individual level, there is no need to always compare renew vs buy new based on the exact same class or model.

Just take your PARF plus the PQP and then add 15-20% for additional maintenance, road tax, fuel consumption and other costs and arrive at $X.

Then find a new car as close to $X as possible that suits your needs and don't look back.

For me I plan to renew COE because if I buy a new car that is equivalent to my current car, I will need to fork out at least extra $30k as compared to renewing COE for current car. And I prefer to renew COE rather than get a second hand car because my car is reliable and I know it has no problems. Furthermore, I drive very little so mileage is still very low and I am sure it will last another 10 years easily.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

By renewing COE you are in fact resigning to fate and accepting the high COE price (which is by the way determined by others) by paying the current PQP without a "fight".

It is better to let the COE recycle in the market and release more quota which will in theory lower the "strike" price.

Think of all the bids lined up from the highest to the lowest. As you move further to the right (quota), the lower the bid price would be which will in turn determine the COE price.

The more people doing this (scrap and release COE) the greater the effect (of lower COE) would be. It's time to think of the greater good.

On the individual level, there is no need to always compare renew vs buy new based on the exact same class or model.

Just take your PARF plus the PQP and then add 15-20% for additional maintenance, road tax, fuel consumption and other costs and arrive at $X.

Then find a new car as close to $X as possible that suits your needs and don't look back.

my humble take is that everyone will be looking after his own good, no one will be looking at the "greater good".

Even if we all take your "advice" and do it for the greater good, one tiny policy tweak by the incumbent gov/lta elites will result in the COE to remain high for donkey years.

• Praise 2

true. if die die need a car, i'll just go for a new one instead of renewing for current 10 years old car.

have done a detailed analysis before on almost all possible costs. it is still more worth to get a new similar car, i.e. not for cases whereby you change from a small car to a MPV for an example, this is upgrading liao. renewing the coe is already not an option at all from my own calculation.

still it depends on each financial status and comfort level. good luck.

i cannot agree to your argument.

if "die die need" a car, means it is a need not a want , so why the need to buy a new car??

buying new the extra cash outlay is at least tens of thousands to more than a hundred thousand...

But everyone situation is different so we cant say this option or that option is definitely good for him, one can only take in advice but make your own consideration and decision.

you sure? shiok to live a life with loans here and there?

My humble suggestion. Take the parf and buy a brand new Honda Vezel as it is still SUV same as your CRV. With Cat A COE, the dep is ~ 12K/year.

You will feel more shiok to drive new car than 10 years old car. [sunny]

Thank guys for advices,but renew 5 or 10 years is better in terms of monetary and maintenance wise?

Go for 10 years. Reason, if after few years if your car breakdown more often n repair cost getting more, you can scrap it n get refund for the unused portion. But, if you renew for only 5 years and u find car still good condition, you will not be able to renew for another time. You are the master of ur own car, u know d condition better. Good lucks.

• Praise 1

If cash not enough, 5 years also good

Go for 10 years. Reason, if after few years if your car breakdown more often n repair cost getting more, you can scrap it n get refund for the unused portion. But, if you renew for only 5 years and u find car still good condition, you will not be able to renew for another time. You are the master of ur own car, u know d condition better. Good lucks.

But there are still those who take this option.

5yrs renewal is the worst choice of all. Lose Parf + Lose resale value + Lose whatever wear/tear/repair $$$ you put in + Lose car after 5 years

5yrs renewal is the worst choice of all. Lose Parf + Lose resale value + Lose whatever wear/tear/repair $$$ you put in + Lose car after 5 years

5 yrs renewal was introduced for only 1 main purpose: for those sure will scrap (or sell) the car within 5 yrs by paying lesser.

I like these choices , but am a little sceptical about Evo9 and Wrx which are TC . TC engine blocks and pistons undergo a much higher stress than NA so it may not last 20 yrs , depending on how its driven.

For sure I will not renew small capacity engines which are twincharged to way over 100bhp per litre ; eg a golf GT 1.4 charged to 170 bhp , or maybe even a 2L A45 AMG charged to 360 bhp.

From engine durability point of view , diesel is the best candidate , followed by NA , then supercharged / turbocharged.

Some performance cars are built to near track-ready spec (ie tough) when they left the factory as new. If the owners dont abuse but take good care of them, there's no reason why they cant last. Compared with b&b cars which manufacturers built under planned obsolete 'concept' ie they are not built to last but to be replaced say every 7-9 years, there's reason for concern about their reliability after that age.

renew those super old skool..

CRX lo.. keep it alive..

Many cult status JDM cars come under this group... some contis also

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

sorry, i heard from fren that the law has changed to 5 years is renewable now?

i'm not sure if is true or not.

TIA