PSLE Results coming out soon!

Sazali

Suicides happen when people, whether young or old, are unprepared for a certain stage/event in life. The key to preventing suicides is to prepare people for the stresses of life.

From the moment children understand anything, they should be taught:

1) Stress is part and parcel of life. We should not run away from stress, but learn to manage it. The only people without stress are dead people.

2)Life has its ups and downs. We must learn to endure the downs, so that we can enjoy the ups when they come around. No difficult event/period lasts forever. Just endure it and it'll be over. The only people who are happy all the time are some of those in IMH.

3) While failure is not acceptable, it is not the end. Death is the end and the ultimate failure. If u have to be punished for a failure, so be it, move on.

This is the way i see it. Cheers.

↡ Advertisement

Let's see it from another angle.

If I have a child and he/she is talented. I would want her/him to go through rigorous system so that he/she is capable and has a strong mind.

I feel sorry for the loss of precious human lives but a bit of stress would want to end his/her life. What can come out of such people when they are adults.

If 20% of the students taking exam go commit suicide then we should consider scrapping the system. Do you want good, strong minded population in SG or weak minded slack population. Our close neighbour shows you what happens when everything is relax one corner.

fundamentally i agree,

but, what if its your child who is mentally weak, and a bit of stress would want to end his/her life?

I am a parent of 3 kids myself quite concerned leh..I was told by my sister one of the student who committed suicide is my niece's classmate in S..gk..g Primary..reallypityful and my deeepest condolences to the family members.........

What is our education system trying to achieve?

Any parent bros here wana give good tips on educating kids..please share

OMG

My deepest condolences to the family.

As a primary 6 parent, I felt it was unnecessary for the some parent to bring up the math matter to the media immediately after the exam. This event did affect my son morale as he was preparing for another subject. I do believe that the report have some impact on others as well.

[furious] [furious]

it seems to be like a Asian phenomena when it comes to exams....Korea, Japan, China, HK and ourselves...all have pressure cooker system. Europeans and Americans, more relax, but the Americans as my colleague told me, they put their kids through some rigorous sports training in hope of getting those lucrative sports scholarship.

again, our society is to blame, and who has the ability to shape our society? so, the change has to come from MOE first. Parents naturally want the best for the kid/s. So they will naturally be caught in the rat race. If the rat race is not here in the first place, we will not even be discussing this topic.

i am all for having some positive pressure on the kid in order for him/her to excel, but that's easier said than done when u have others who are using all sort of means to get their kid ahead of this race. for those who lag behind, the society is not so forgiving.

unfortunately, i don't think any changes, if it ever happens will occur overnite. it will take a paradigm shift to adopt another education system....maybe will come about when changes begin from the "Top"?

fundamentally i agree,

but, what if its your child who is mentally weak, and a bit of stress would want to end his/her life?

I dunno about Pioneer, but if my child is like this,

1) i would blame myself for passing on bad genes / bad parenting. It's not the child's fault, it's almost always the parent's fault.

2) I would slowly groom my child to be able to take stress and hardship. Humans are not static, we're dynamic and can change. Now maybe cannot take stress, after some conditioning, maybe next time can?

Holland arh... our company has a lab over there to handle european customers. Their standard cannot make it, alot of problem, need to direct to singapore lab to handle. Some customer has lost faith and prefer failure samples for our lab to handle.. And their pride only make it worst when they make the wrong conclusion, an insisting to close the case their way.

This does not matter. I believe they will still be able to continue to do their work the way they wanted to, and survive, especially if the company is European.

Why?

There is an American company that recently closed their zero customer complaint manufacturing facility here, and keep the one, with more than 10 customer complaints every year, in their home country.

Therefore, being the best or getting the best results does not guarantee survival or success....

In the papers today, a 28 years old 'O' level and ITE graduate has become Marche Asia's youngest GM. How many straight 'A's students are able to do that when they started work?

Even though the education system here is stressful and unforgiving, the system is dead; people are alive. There are many ways to Rome. We need to let our young ones understand this, move on and continue their lives.

fundamentally i agree,

This will be the parents' job to tell them what is wrong and right. As a parent, I believe we should know sign of how our children behavious if they are down and wanting to end their lives. Over here, parent and child communication is very important.

This does not matter. I believe they will still be able to continue to do their work the way they wanted to, and survive, especially if the company is European.

Why?

There is an American company that recently closed their zero customer complaint manufacturing facility here, and keep the one, with more than 10 customer complaints every year, in their home country.

Therefore, being the best or getting the best results does not guarantee survival or success....

In the papers today, a 28 years old 'O' level and ITE graduate has become Marche Asia's youngest GM. How many straight 'A's students are able to do that when they started work?

Even though the education system here is stressful and unforgiving, the system is dead; people are alive. There are many ways to Rome. We need to let our young ones understand this, move on and continue their lives.

Our holland lab has alreadyclosed down. .Setting a lab there, imo, was a big mistake a waste of company resources..

But our american counterpart are technically superior to ours.

Edited by Ender

I do FEEL for the students, the FACKING EDUCATION SYSTEM really push them to the limit... "bo kor leng" bo tai bo chi commit suicide for no reason right ?

You know what....... the news paper no report leh !

Sianz, I still no 'O' levels

such reporting could trigger a lot of tragic events, so better not report.

I dont believe the education system is the reason for this. Rather, i believe the stress the kid from their own family and the support system from their family once they do not what they should be getting.

Come on, the kid is still so young. Why push them till that stage? Their own family is their whole world. Being understanding and supportive is the way to get them back to the racing track.

it's both. u need a tough system for parents to get stress in the first place. why we never see american, european kids kamikaze because of school work? i'm not criticizing our system, but it's not accurate to blame it all on the parents.

u dun determine someone is good or not with their primary sch results...alot of ppl are late bloomers

not everyone is good in languages or maths but that doesnt mean they got no other talent

the system here is really getting too harsh on the kids...gd for the potential scholars but very bad for the rest...lotsa of ppl asked how come i stop at 1 kid... [shakehead]

to add also, if everyone was good enough to be scholar, who would be the chefs, the teachers or the policeman?

we don't need everyone to be doctors right?

I'm trying to understand how kids can be driven to do such things. i guess it must be they find life (which is really all about school work, at least to them) meaningless. So take the easy way out and end it all with no more pressure to deal with at last.

In spore, school student commit suicide due to exam stress, in america those ang moh kai study there very relax but they will bring gun and spray bullet to kill students and teachers in sch. [hur]

I'm trying to understand how kids can be driven to do such things. i guess it must be they find life (which is really all about school work, at least to them) meaningless. So take the easy way out and end it all with no more pressure to deal with at last.

must be no joy in life. thinking everyday study torture. grow up earn a living torture. then if they have kids, repeast the cycle. F*ck It Lah. end it all now.

it's both. u need a tough system for parents to get stress in the first place. why we never see american, european kids kamikaze because of school work? i'm not criticizing our system, but it's not accurate to blame it all on the parents.

heard a conversation between a mother n her younger son,

mom: do u want to go to this xxx sec sch (one of the top 5 in sg)?

son: are u kidding! kor kor now sec 1 in yyy (1 of top 10) already study past midnite eveyday, if I go xxx mean I have to study till morning everyday!!!

mom: err....

actually that happens more in high school than in junior school in America (gun shootings). it's really disturbing when kids start killing themselves.

Edited by Felipe

In spore, school student commit suicide due to exam stress, in america those ang moh kai study there very relax but they will bring gun and spray bullet to kill students and teachers in sch. [hur]

in Asia, if I am not good enough, I am stress and take our own life to stop our own pain.

in the west, if I am not good, I am still stress but I shot everyone who is better than me to eliminate my problem [sweatdrop]

If my kid is like that, I will do what I can to remove those stress from him. Develop his mental capacity, put him in areas where he can learn to be stronger. I dun need him/her to be the best. I need he to do just his best.

Worst comes to worst, he dies, I just have to admit, I have failed as a parent.

Not the system. If everyone goes through the system and only one person sucks.. perhaps.. he or she.. really sucks.. not the system.

↡ Advertisement