PSLE Results coming out soon!

Sazali

such reporting could trigger a lot of tragic events, so better not report.

We're very transparent here, nothing to hide.

If there's no reports, most likely no such things happening.

Frankly I feel that nowadays a good formal education, getting good grades is overrated.

I have seen people succeeding in life despite the lack of a university education, and I have seen well educated people who just plain sucked.

Give the children their child hood, i used to tell my children pass can already no need to be........

I totally agree with you. Many happy childhood were ruined in the name of educational excellence.

The problem with our education system I feel, is that the move towards an examination regime that emphasize creative problem solving techniques, but many of the teachers are still in the stone age where chalk, board and talk was still the way to go. The teachers are not adapting to the syllabus change very well.

I really can't imagine why pupils have to do dictation tests, where they memorize a passage and re-write it in class. What's the value in that? In my niece's school, she was flooded with Chinese homework that she had barely little time to tackle other subjects. All because the Chinese teacher want to so called make her KPI look good by having improved pass rates during exams.

In short, our education system still suck!

The problem with our education system I feel, is that the move towards an examination regime that emphasize creative problem solving techniques, but many of the teachers are still in the stone age where chalk, board and talk was still the way to go. The teachers are not adapting to the syllabus change very well.

I really can't imagine why pupils have to do dictation tests, where they memorize a passage and re-write it in class. What's the value in that? In my niece's school, she was flooded with Chinese homework that she had barely little time to tackle other subjects. All because the Chinese teacher want to so called make her KPI look good by having improved pass rates during exams.

it not suck, but we got to keep up with the change of society.

We're very transparent here, nothing to hide.

If there's no reports, most likely no such things happening.

yah...just like they tell us they are helping us safe keep our CPF. i feel so secure man.

I think our ministry is still not sure which is the correct model to adopt. They are still experimenting and hence you see them keep changing the method.

not really true. teachers are moving towards creative problem solving isn't it? The exams are geared towards that too. Of course, this may differ with another subject but by and large, if you look at the curriculum, it's not old school anymore. The thing is when you want to be creative, you also have to let go a little bit of being result oriented.

There is no heresy or no philosophy which is so abhorrent to the church as a human being. - James Joyce

In Singapore,

There is no heresy or no philosophy which is so abhorrent to Singapore society as a human being. - Me

You get what you pay for. - Unknown

You get what you vote for - Me

What school is that? Still used chalk and board?

Nowadays, MT teachers used music, rap, etc to teach their subjects. For other subjects, teachers use IT, Multimedia, Robotics, etc to teach their subjects...

Better get the fact right k. one or two schools do not represent the general state of the schools teaching methods.

But of course when it comes to the crunch, memorisation is the best way to get results for weaker students. If students are smart enough, they dun have to teach them via memorisation, the problem is most are not tt capable to understand concept.

Limited time to complete syllabus means the need to use the most effective way to get results.

You need good PSLE results to get to good school so that you can get a good O level result etc etc etc.

It is true good results may not be link to being rich successful etc, it is nevertheless a very important first step.

Neutral Newbie

Education is getting too damn bloody hard. 4 years time the O levels will almost be the same as A levels (At their age) so what to do?

So sad :( I never knew such things happening as well.

PSLE results coming out soon in 2 weeks. So stressful to choose a secondary school, especially with so many schools having open houses in the coming weeks.

I quite liked this article on choosing a secondary school. I didn't know CCA is not a sure get in. Looks like times have changed since our time eh?

http://edumatters.sg/4-big-worries-when-choosing-a-secondary-school/

Anyone else has tips from experience in choosing a secondary school?

• Praise 2

Yah, choose a secondary school near your home so that your kid does not have to spend too much time travelling.

Also, another consideration is if there is a school that is affiliated to the primary school. If so, put tat as first choice.

Edited by Loki
  • Praise 3

PSLE results coming out soon in 2 weeks. So stressful to choose a secondary school, especially with so many schools having open houses in the coming weeks.

I quite liked this article on choosing a secondary school. I didn't know CCA is not a sure get in. Looks like times have changed since our time eh?

I don't really have a tip to share but just wanted to say that perhaps abit of homework from you and your child before the results are out could be helpful in choosing the sec school of your choice.

Homework as in shortlisting the schools you like but they should be based on distance and your prelim scores as an indication. Next, the CCA your child would like to take part in cos not all schools offer all CCAs esp if your CCA is unusual eg floorball.

It would be ideal if you could also speak to students from that school for inside info. This admittedly is a tough ask but maybe your network through colleagues, friends, relatives could help? Lastly, if can visit the school open house if any can be a good eye-opener as well but I'm not sure if they do this for sec schools??

Good Luck and hope you get into the school of your child's choice [thumbsup]

• Praise 9

CCA does have an advantage but the DSA trial have beeb done few months ago.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2