PSLE Results coming out soon!

Sazali

CCA does have an advantage but the DSA trial have beeb done few months ago.

The article a been misunderstood.

U can still enter via cca. Just that if u go to the school for a particular cca, go in liao might not have.

Kiasuparent too kiasu-ish. Hoping for healthier perspectives.

Actually they are okay...

• Praise 1

PSLE results coming out soon in 2 weeks. So stressful to choose a secondary school, especially with so many schools having open houses in the coming weeks.

I quite liked this article on choosing a secondary school. I didn't know CCA is not a sure get in. Looks like times have changed since our time eh?

http://edumatters.sg/4-big-worries-when-choosing-a-secondary-school/

Anyone else has tips from experience in choosing a secondary school?

Anyone here waiting for his results, either first timer, or re-takes??

• Praise 1

Yesterday, brought my son to meet a tutor to assess his CL.

We are thinking of having him take the HCL in P5 next year.

The tutor suggested, we should start selecting the sec school NOW!

Then we plan the path to achieve that goal.

sori... a bit sua ku.. first time planning to send my son for tuition.

• Praise 1

Yesterday, brought my son to meet a tutor to assess his CL.

We are thinking of having him take the HCL in P5 next year.

The tutor suggested, we should start selecting the sec school NOW!

Then we plan the path to achieve that goal.

sori... a bit sua ku.. first time planning to send my son for tuition.

is very late liao, people start from P1 [laugh]

i thought HCL should start in P3? P5 a bit late to catch up unless he already had A for CL.

• Praise 1

The article a been misunderstood.

U can still enter via cca. Just that if u go to the school for a particular cca, go in liao might not have.

Can tell me more ... Would like to know ... Thanks ... [nod]

• Praise 1

is very late liao, people start from P1 [laugh]

i thought HCL should start in P3? P5 a bit late to catch up unless he already had A for CL.

Ya lor... when the tutor asked us which sec school we aim, both my son and I could not answer.

We are from nebourhood school. HCL only starts in P5.

Son's CL result just below band 1. School recommend 4S but we appealed.

That's why, trying to find a reliable tutor to help improve his CL.

• Praise 1

Ya lor... when the tutor asked us which sec school we aim, both my son and I could not answer.

We are from nebourhood school. HCL only starts in P5.

Son's CL result just below band 1. School recommend 4S but we appealed.

That's why, trying to find a reliable tutor to help improve his CL.

If you are aiming at the choice of schools that you prefer, set target at the score range say 210-230 or 230-250, etc.

Start working toward that goal base on his current performance and the tuition if require on the weaker subjects. HCL does not give him more advantage cos it only add extra 2 points, it would be easier for him to focus on the other subject and improve on CL to give him more confident.

Actually P5 is not too late to start lah [laugh][laugh]

Can tell me more ... Would like to know ... Thanks ... [nod]

More on what?? I do know for certain sports, if u are good and you go for trial before psle. U can actually confirm a place with the secondary school.

Can tell me more

OK.... tonight bring a [gorgeous] XMM to Changi Airport T1 car park for the last time cos, it will close at 2.00am on 12/11/14..... [sly]

Go early cos a lot of ppls also going for the last time, remember to chope the furtherest lots away from T1 building. Darker there... [:)]

Tonight I not free to go... [bigcry]

• Dislike 1

If you are aiming at the choice of schools that you prefer, set target at the score range say 210-230 or 230-250, etc.

Start working toward that goal base on his current performance and the tuition if require on the weaker subjects. HCL does not give him more advantage cos it only add extra 2 points, it would be easier for him to focus on the other subject and improve on CL to give him more confident.

My dotter school only offer HCL for P1-P4,

For P5 must choose whether to continue or not. Mummy say don't do....focus on good grades for other subjects.

I agree - choose first based on distance, list out all the schools nearest then see how they are. Or choose those that are direct bus / train or short cycle....

Look at the book they give out to see grades for both express and normal streams (think carefully which stream is best for your child also) There is a bit of overlap between the two streams in different schools.

Also look at what subjects the school offer - some have special programmes that might interest if have a full choice.

• Praise 1

The 2 pts from HCL only useful if going SAP schools. If no intention of going then don't waste time. Just focus on the 4 core subjects and score max pts is better.
  • Praise 2

u ask this in a carforum.....hahaha!

Why not ? :-)

1. Car lovers can be very persistent in passing their psle even though they may have tried many times in the past. And who are we to say we need minimum a poly cert to own or love cars?

2. There are kids surfing mcf, they will have to take psle some days

HAHAHA

Edited by Super7

OK.... tonight bring a [gorgeous] XMM to Changi Airport T1 car park for the last time cos, it will close at 2.00am on 12/11/14..... [sly]

Go early cos a lot of ppls also going for the last time, remember to chope the furtherest lots away from T1 building. Darker there... [:)]

Tonight I not free to go... [bigcry]

Getting ready high power zoom lens n infra red camera??

• Praise 1

The 2 pts from HCL only useful if going SAP schools. If no intention of going then don't waste time. Just focus on the 4 core subjects and score max pts is better.

I respect your choice and decision. But, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the approach. We should encourage the child (if capable) to take the Higher Mother Tongue as it will improve his/her knowledge. Studying the subject is not purely for the exam.

• Praise 4

I respect your choice and decision. But, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the approach. We should encourage the child (if capable) to take the Higher Mother Tongue as it will improve his/her knowledge. Studying the subject is not purely for the exam.

It's a choice to be made -

Like it or not, the reality is that "must score" for a decent secondary school. My dotter has been recommended by the teacher NOT to take HCL.

Not exactly the same situation, but I remember when took Chinese at university - (100 level course) thinking that with a Chinese speaker at home to help it would be "easy marks".

Looking back, it was a rather large mistake, I spent more time on that course than I have on any other course, yet still only got a C+ - my time would have been much better spend on something like accounting or law - with the same level of work, I would have got an A.

If by doing HCL, you take time and energy away from other subjects simply to get an "acceptable" grade - it's simply not worth it.

Of course, I am not advocating "taking the easy route" however - you have to assess for yourself just how much work it is and what is the likely outcome over whether can handle it or not.

↡ Advertisement