What you want on dashboard in future cars?

Super7

For safety / aesthetic reasons, what you want to see in new dashboard? what should be removed? (same for interior of cars)

1 Bigger touch screen for controls, info, etc. This will replace switches, toggles, buttons, stalks, etc which can be usightly, or dangerous in case of accidents. But currently, the centrally located touch screen takes our eyes from the road, how should the new touch screen e positioned to avoid such dangerous distraction?

2 Steer by wire ----> do away with steering wheel using a handheld control pad, or joystick (like those in video game)?

3 Redesign seating arrangement: make the 4-5 seats like a U-shape (similar to that in lounges/ktvs)?

4 Thick, soft carpet on the floors

5 Touch pad / button on doors for window / door controls?

6 Ceiling:- LED design which can change colours / patterns (clouds, blue sky, starry nite, etc) as the passengers wish?

7 With touch screen replacing conventional control switches etc on the dashboard, the new dashboard can look totally different from what we have to day ----> design built-in coffee maker, food-warmer, etc for long distance drives.

↡ Advertisement

Missile1.jpg

I want a roll of these switches so that I can take out road hoggers with my missiles. [laugh]

LOL, like that you not only need to pay COE, driving license, but also entertainment permit, weapon license!! [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Missile1.jpg

I want a roll of these switches so that I can take out road hoggers with my missiles. [laugh]

I also want. Where to buy? [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

For safety / aesthetic reasons, what you want to see in new dashboard? what should be removed? (same for interior of cars)

1 Bigger touch screen for controls, info, etc. This will replace switches, toggles, buttons, stalks, etc which can be usightly, or dangerous in case of accidents. But currently, the centrally located touch screen takes our eyes from the road, how should the new touch screen e positioned to avoid such dangerous distraction?

2 Steer by wire ----> do away with steering wheel using a handheld control pad, or joystick (like those in video game)?

3 Redesign seating arrangement: make the 4-5 seats like a U-shape (similar to that in lounges/ktvs)?

4 Thick, soft carpet on the floors

5 Touch pad / button on doors for window / door controls?

6 Ceiling:- LED design which can change colours / patterns (clouds, blue sky, starry nite, etc) as the passengers wish?

7 With touch screen replacing conventional control switches etc on the dashboard, the new dashboard can look totally different from what we have to day ----> design built-in coffee maker, food-warmer, etc for long distance drives.

1) This is definitely coming. But personally I still prefer buttons, as you can control by 'feel' (like how you could text by feel using old Nokia phones, as compared to today's touch screen smartphones). Less distracting.

2) Nissan/Infiniti I think already has steer-by-wire system, but isn't this more dangerous? What if the electrics fail? Then no steering. :blink:

3) Then how to drive? If you talking about just the rear then perhaps yes, possible for MPVs/vans. But up front think probably still need to be forward facing.

4) See Rolls-Royce

5) Maybe. But same point about electrics.

6) Again, can be done (RR Phantom). But can also be quite distracting maybe.

7) Honestly, already got so many things distracting drivers nowadays. Add even more, lagi worse.

Personally, I think all these can be good if we get to the stage of autonomous cars, but so long as we still need a driver to be in control, I think cars should be designed to cater to allow drivers to concentrate on driving.

• Praise 2

Voice controlled, hence ability to control and drive car remotely...

Maybe I just sit inside and chit chat with the computer on the dash board :))

Able to chit chat with me, able to tell me local and world news :))

Able to hook up internet, and read to me all the news while I am driving :))

• Praise 1

Voice controlled, hence ability to control and drive car remotely...

Maybe I just sit inside and chit chat with the computer on the dash board :))

Able to chit chat with me, able to tell me local and world news :))

Able to hook up internet, and read to me all the news while I am driving :))

Eventually or ultimately auto pilot or driverless cars will be common as the computing speeds n power of chips n sensors used today are more than enough to operate such cars.

Or, look at the multi task conveyer belts in factories' automated processes where say drink cans of different contents n destinations are moved seamlessly, swiftly from one station to the next with precise timings. Capsules in which commuters are carried can move in the same manner.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

something like this? got already mah........use by SAF on the M113. [laugh]

m113a2driver2.jpg

• Praise 1

something like this? got already mah........use by SAF on the M113. [laugh]

m113a2driver2.jpg

1000 praises for you!!!!

brings back memory!!!!

that lousy transmission switch whole day misaligned, knn got to take out that stupid plug and bypass the damm switch everytime

that darn regulator is damm hard to take out and replace

Turbocharged

1000 praises for you!!!!

brings back memory!!!!

that lousy transmission switch whole day misaligned, knn got to take out that stupid plug and bypass the damm switch everytime

that darn regulator is damm hard to take out and replace

remember to horn before you start engine and ramp down hor. [laugh]

remember to horn before you start engine and ramp down hor. [laugh]

better check whether got ramp cable or not [laugh]

that time we took out a worn out ramp cable but had to push back the ramp door for some "admin" reason

next day some mofo came in and release the ramp stick

boommmmmmmzzzzz!!!!!

heng nobody behind

joker go sign until he cow bark sai

↡ Advertisement