German cars: do you prefer BMW or Mercedes?

Tumisu

Haha this is the part I forgot to mention, they disconnected my blackvue camera but I had a backup Lukas camera which they forgot to disconnect (I kiasu),

post-78681-0-75733400-1420196757_thumb.j

haha, ...damn kiasu la you, super on [thumbsup][thumbsup]

....but I think they saw that one too and decided not to disconnect because they could not find the 3rd one [laugh][laugh] so they kuai kuai drive easy [drivingcar]

....reading your post at this godly hour, laugh like mad until nearly pengsan...never in my wildest dream

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

your point being? Focke-Wulf Fw 190 & Junkers Ju 88's engines were made by BMW during WW2

Did i have a point? Just an observation.

Just like how Top Gear pointed out that mercedes actually made a 6 wheeled car for Hitler back in the 1930s, rather than claiming they just made their 1st 6 wheeled vehicle in the G63 AMG 6 wheeler truck. [rolleyes]

Mercedes made Hitler's cars Lol...

I will want to own a BMW someday. No such with for the 3 pointed star.

No wonder you bought a Honda but Honda's predecessor, Tokai Seiki, also aided in the Japanese war effort. Almost all the major Japanese auto makers have a WW2 past, like the Germans. LOL.

• Praise 1

No wonder you bought a Honda but Honda's predecessor, Tokai Seiki, also aided in the Japanese war effort. Almost all the major Japanese auto makers have a WW2 past, like the Germans. LOL.

I'm not a troll. Just pointing out something interesting in Mercedes history.

Maybe i should buy a mistubishi. They made the Zero fighter after all LOL...

• Praise 1

Never owned a merc yet but as far as battery is concern, they are standard products as long as the Voltage and Ampere-Hour, max current (for cranking) and size are the same.

Same concept of using Ever Ready instead of Sony batteries for your Sony gadgets.

Merc/BMW probably outsource the production to someone else, like its filters, ECU....

Nowadays, it is no longer that simple. For cars with ASS, AGM batt is a must.

Nowadays, it is no longer that simple. For cars with ASS, AGM batt is a must.

Wish to share some idea of costs where owning a BMW is concerned.

Recently had batteries changed for 2 of mine & the amt is abt $430+ each, before GST.

Replaced 6 spark plugs $362 before GST

.....and many more. All due to wear & tear. If I were to list all, it would be a deterrent to those waiting to own one........then less BMWs on the roads. :()

Recently had batteries changed for 2 of mine & the amt is abt $430+ each, before GST.

.....and many more. All due to wear & tear. If I were to list all, it would be a deterrent to those waiting to own one........then less BMWs on the roads. :()

Batteries for merc is not cheap too. Spark plugs can be changed cheaper if done outside PML.

But very common problems for BMWs include:

1. Engine oil leak

2. Gearbox mechatronic failures (maybe the newer zf transmissions are better)

3. Radiator and hose leaks

BMW - Buy More Worries :)

I used to drive used E39 520. Over 4 yrs period, I have spent $8k.

Haha I know what see a post and laugh feeling [thumbsup]

Long story had a bad experience so decided kiasi better than no video hehe

haha, ...damn kiasu la you, super on [thumbsup][thumbsup]

....but I think they saw that one too and decided not to disconnect because they could not find the 3rd one [laugh][laugh] so they kuai kuai drive easy [drivingcar]

....reading your post at this godly hour, laugh like mad until nearly pengsan...never in my wildest dream

I'm not a troll. Just pointing out something interesting in Mercedes history.

Maybe i should buy a mistubishi. They made the Zero fighter after all LOL...

Or Mazda, which manufactured rifles for the imperial army. hahaha...

GB, engine or regular maintenance?

Nearly bought the 528, love the drive, but worried about the GB, doubt it can last 10 years without 1-2 overhual thrown in.

Did i have a point? Just an observation.

Just like how Top Gear pointed out that mercedes actually made a 6 wheeled car for Hitler back in the 1930s, rather than claiming they just made their 1st 6 wheeled vehicle in the G63 AMG 6 wheeler truck. [rolleyes]

I wouldn't know unless you tell..its also just an 'observation' with me stating that BMW made engines for war machines during WW2

• Praise 1

Nearly bought the 528, love the drive, but worried about the GB, doubt it can last 10 years without 1-2 overhual thrown in.

Drove my 2004 E60 from Nov'09 to Nov'14. No gearbox issue, maybe I'm lucky, mileage was low at 130k when scrapped at 10yrs mark. I would love to buy back a BMW, was looking for a 5yrs old F10 but at $120k, ended up bought a C180K W204 (My 1st Merc) due to budget, have intention to renew 5/10 yrs COE for my W204 in 2008. Maybe will pick up a 7yrs old F10 2yrs from now...miss the feel/sturdiness/power of a bimmer

Edited by Amazon777
  • Praise 1

Wow - this is really [knife]! $60 bucks + GST per plug!

Performance Motor?

I had a bimmer before, did all the works outside.

• Praise 2

Wow - this is really [knife]! $60 bucks + GST per plug!

Performance Motor?

I had a bimmer before, did all the works outside.

Yes, PML. 6 high power spark plugs for $224 + $137 for service (spark plug).

I thought is standard cost for performance car.

Spent 8k on maintenance for a used BMW over 4 yrs is expected & quite reasonable for replacement of worn parts, IMO.

Batteries for merc is not cheap too. Spark plugs can be changed cheaper if done outside PML.

But very common problems for BMWs include:

1. Engine oil leak

2. Gearbox mechatronic failures (maybe the newer zf transmissions are better)

3. Radiator and hose leaks

BMW - Buy More Worries :)

Engine oil leak - Just had a few gaskets replaced at near 100k mileage, think it's normal & I'm lucky, according to my SA. As I'm quite particular about the performance, also had the Belt Tensioner replaced, topped up steering with Pentoxin oil, etc....

BMW......Blissful, Marvellous, Wonderment..... Hahaha....

↡ Advertisement