German cars: do you prefer BMW or Mercedes?

Tumisu

Like neither of them now.  BMW and Mercedes knows how to make good cars, used to like them alot.

But these days u see them everywhere.  Too common.  Kinda like every chick at your office is carrying a LV bag.

BMW n Merc have changed their strategy, they want to sell a lot of cars like the Jap brands, cheaper simpler model is fine as long as they sell.

End up making some models that look strange n really find it difficult to associate with the marques.  Look at the BMW MPV.

The brands have definitely been diluted.

Whilst I agree with most of your sentiments, the driveability of the higher end models, e.g. 5-series, E-Class, etc. still far surpasses that of their rivals. Having said that if hard-pressed between the two, I would go with BMW for better overall drive feel. Plus the fact the new Mercedes all come with air suspension, which is still quite costly to replace at this time, and the iPad-esque Command display on some of the models looks and feels a tad cheap for the premium price you pay on the car.

Perhaps when air suspension becomes the new norm across all marques, and more affordable to service/replace - then I might reconsider my choice.

Edited by Terrylmt
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

First hand car ? servicing done on time ? 

No difference if first hand. Already driven for 4 years n whatever broke would have been replaced

Between Merc and BMW, imo, it depends on what you are looking for - comfort or drive. My view is based on my comparison between the G30 vs W213 and the G11/12 vs W222.

The ride on both W213 and W222 is so quiet and comfortable that I feel as if I am in a different world insulated from the busy traffic outside. These car were able to absorb the road noise and bumps so well, esp on the W222 that I felt as if I'm floating.

Whilst the ride comfort on the G30 or G11/12 is also not that bad, they definitely loose out to the Merc. However, the engaging drive more than made up for this lost as far as I'm concern. Comparing G11/12 to W222, the 7-er is so much more fun to drive compared to the S for the limo segment. The same is true as well for the 5-er.

In summary, since I am the chauffeur and not being chauffeured, I will go with the Beemer [;)].

• Praise 9

Between Merc and BMW, imo, it depends on what you are looking for - comfort or drive. My view is based on my comparison between the G30 vs W213 and the G11/12 vs W222.

The ride on both W213 and W222 is so quiet and comfortable that I feel as if I am in a different world insulated from the busy traffic outside. These car were able to absorb the road noise and bumps so well, esp on the W222 that I felt as if I'm floating.

Whilst the ride comfort on the G30 or G11/12 is also not that bad, they definitely loose out to the Merc. However, the engaging drive more than made up for this lost as far as I'm concern. Comparing G11/12 to W222, the 7-er is so much more fun to drive compared to the S for the limo segment. The same is true as well for the 5-er.

In summary, since I am the chauffeur and not being chauffeured, I will go with the Beemer [;)].

Wat u mean by more engaging to drive?

Hi people,

Not sure if I should post this here but would like to seek some expert and honest opinions on this brand.  I'm intending to buy a continental brand car and looking at several brands which include Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and Volvo.

I'm still in a daze what I should be looking for in these brands and what I should avoid in terms of resale value, common technical problems (if any), ease and cost of maintenance and repair, etc.  Hope to gather some honest feedback.

Pardon me if this is not the correct thread to my post.

Thank you:)

• Praise 1

Hi people,

Not sure if I should post this here but would like to seek some expert and honest opinions on this brand. I'm intending to buy a continental brand car and looking at several brands which include Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and Volvo.

I'm still in a daze what I should be looking for in these brands and what I should avoid in terms of resale value, common technical problems (if any), ease and cost of maintenance and repair, etc. Hope to gather some honest feedback.

Cost of maintenance repair don’t really apply if u just drive till five years n sell

Hi people,

Not sure if I should post this here but would like to seek some expert and honest opinions on this brand. I'm intending to buy a continental brand car and looking at several brands which include Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and Volvo.

I'm still in a daze what I should be looking for in these brands and what I should avoid in terms of resale value, common technical problems (if any), ease and cost of maintenance and repair, etc. Hope to gather some honest feedback.

This is the correct forum.

You won't get better advice than here.

All you said don't matter.

The most important is it's a conti.

That's why they pay so much to the marketing men and it's money well spent.

You have certainly arrived.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 3

Hi people,

Not sure if I should post this here but would like to seek some expert and honest opinions on this brand.  I'm intending to buy a continental brand car and looking at several brands which include Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and Volvo.

I'm still in a daze what I should be looking for in these brands and what I should avoid in terms of resale value, common technical problems (if any), ease and cost of maintenance and repair, etc.  Hope to gather some honest feedback.

List down your criteria in order of its priorities.

List down your criteria in order of its priorities.

I think basically, it boils down first to how good the car can hold its value.  I'm always hearing this that only Mercedes Benz tops resale value followed by BMW (for continental cars).  The rest (Audi, Volvo, etc) "don't touch". 

Secondly, it'll be how trouble-less the car is.  I've heard and seen how some Volkswagen cars gave tremendous problems and heartaches to their owners.  The other criteria that follows suit will be the usual driving comfort, car performance, ease and cost of maintenance, etc.

Hope I'm not asking too much.

I think basically, it boils down first to how good the car can hold its value.  I'm always hearing this that only Mercedes Benz tops resale value followed by BMW (for continental cars).  The rest (Audi, Volvo, etc) "don't touch". 

Secondly, it'll be how trouble-less the car is.  I've heard and seen how some Volkswagen cars gave tremendous problems and heartaches to their owners.  The other criteria that follows suit will be the usual driving comfort, car performance, ease and cost of maintenance, etc.

Hope I'm not asking too much.

Mercy for you definitely, car performance is below comfort and value / reliability above all else.  Actually you should consider Lexus.