Ford Focus titanium

Obscurest

For a new car with superior technology, 8.5 km per litre sux!! That sounds like my MPV mileage and its a 2008 vehicle.

Maybe u are still running in for first 1000 kms? CHange the oil thereafter and let us know. Think it should be better. Unless u drive like takumi everyday.

Just got my Focus 2016 1.0 about a week ago.
Got it at $98,888, get white, is $2000 cheaper.
So far so good.
Pretty solid ride, pretty good pick up.
Handling is smooth.
Doesn't feel like a 1000cc car.

Looks wise, also not too bad, like a baby aston.

Car computer system is pretty smart.
SYNC is extremely user friendly, zero confusion.

But one thing, FC is way below what they stated on paper.
I am actually averaging 8.5km/l only. 

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

For a new car with superior technology, 8.5 km per litre sux!! That sounds like my MPV mileage and its a 2008 vehicle.

Maybe u are still running in for first 1000 kms? CHange the oil thereafter and let us know. Think it should be better. Unless u drive like takumi everyday.

he meant 8.5l/100km so it's actually more like 12km/l, which is not too bad for the 1.0L EcoBoost. It can do better with less city and less aggressive throttling.

The engine is quite economical if it doesn't have to work hard. It is the highest bhp/litre in the burgeoning 3-cylinder eco-mill class.

talk about driving like takumi; i'm more than halfway there during the test drive of focus 1l ecoboost.

with 2 kids + wife + se, moves slow when under 3k rpm. meaningful response comes after that, wc proved it's unlike a 1l car even during upslope along queensway. according to se, overboost after 4.5k rpm to 200Nm (spec is 175Nm), while travelling along c'wealth ave i rev to 6.2k rpm n car is happy to move fast. 6AT torq conv gb functioned normally n reacted to my manual input with lesser lag than comments i read about / feel - almost similar to my current 4AT torq conv gb.

car felt planted, accel at exit of right turn presented no torq steer. generally, if constantly at 4k rpm will give reasonable response akin to 1.6-1.8l performance but unsure how this affect fc. my gripe was about the way manual mode is designed onto gear knob n signal also on left - hard to do both together w left hand alone. would have preferred moving gear stick up / down or left / right. seats were too firm imho to provide optimal comfort when car dealing w humps n bumps.

then backside itchy asked for mondeo test drive, feel is on diff level. car felt not only planted but composed. short sprint with renault scenic diesel after turn to alexandra rd leading to ikea kinda on par (believed could have done better if the stretch of road was longer / if i'd reacted earlier / if not i'd to return to ford showrm).

another observation - i felt some vibration on steering wheels of both rides during idle / at P. maybe some owners could comment on that.

he meant 8.5l/100km so it's actually more like 12km/l, which is not too bad for the 1.0L EcoBoost. It can do better with less city and less aggressive throttling.

The engine is quite economical if it doesn't have to work hard. It is the highest bhp/litre in the burgeoning 3-cylinder eco-mill class.

That sounds better

Turbocharged

talk about driving like takumi; i'm more than halfway there during the test drive of focus 1l ecoboost.

with 2 kids + wife + se, moves slow when under 3k rpm. meaningful response comes after that, wc proved it's unlike a 1l car even during upslope along queensway. according to se, overboost after 4.5k rpm to 200Nm (spec is 175Nm), while travelling along c'wealth ave i rev to 6.2k rpm n car is happy to move fast. 6AT torq conv gb functioned normally n reacted to my manual input with lesser lag than comments i read about / feel - almost similar to my current 4AT torq conv gb.

car felt planted, accel at exit of right turn presented no torq steer. generally, if constantly at 4k rpm will give reasonable response akin to 1.6-1.8l performance but unsure how this affect fc. my gripe was about the way manual mode is designed onto gear knob n signal also on left - hard to do both together w left hand alone. would have preferred moving gear stick up / down or left / right. seats were too firm imho to provide optimal comfort when car dealing w humps n bumps.

then backside itchy asked for mondeo test drive, feel is on diff level. car felt not only planted but composed. short sprint with renault scenic diesel after turn to alexandra rd leading to ikea kinda on par (believed could have done better if the stretch of road was longer / if i'd reacted earlier / if not i'd to return to ford showrm).

another observation - i felt some vibration on steering wheels of both rides during idle / at P. maybe some owners could comment on that.

Interesting. Maybe I will try the 1.0L Focus sometime too.

I also hear it's very eager to rev as most 3 cylinders are.

The 6F35 autobox in the Mondeo is pretty smooth and refined most of the time, not a lightning gearbox or best on the market, quite old transmission in fact. I wonder if the Focus is still using this gearbox or a newer one.

Focus is famed for its class-topping blend of handling and ride comfort... not only is the chassis and Control Blade suspension excellent for the class, it has plenty of electronic features to improve stability, control and thus safety such as the Torque Vectoring system.

Agree with you about the dopey rocker switch shift implementation of SelectShift. Mondeo has it better with paddle shifters. Ford should drop the rocker design and add a manual gate to their cars - more natural in feel and familiar to conventional manual users. But perhaps this point is moot as they appear to be moving towards rotary dial shifter (Jaguar-Land Rover style).

Sit Focus in showroom, seats feel fine to me. But going over bump definitely another story. I should try sometime.

Mondeo is definitely a more planted and stable machine. Much heavier, a lot more weight being thrown around. Steering overboosted feeling compared to previous generations, but Mondeo Mk V is more about comfort than before. Less sensation of good handling than Focus, but I feel Mondeo's handling is still excellent for its class and really impressive for 1.67 ton machine. I feel it could do with more feedback, is all. Mondeo also has a much more gutsy big engine that has monster numbers relative to jap cars especially... a bit of turbo lag but very refined, very rev happy and sounds nice sometimes, even. It can sprint to 100km/h in about 7.5s.

As for vibration issue, I experience this, but I find it's very mild. Barely there. Stronger in D, but most of the vibration comes from the sidewalls of the center console, which I believe is vibration from the transmission rather than the engine. I was expecting none of that to begin with, but I don't think it's a big deal. This is not S-Class category.

Interesting. Maybe I will try the 1.0L Focus sometime too.

I also hear it's very eager to rev as most 3 cylinders are.

The 6F35 autobox in the Mondeo is pretty smooth and refined most of the time, not a lightning gearbox or best on the market, quite old transmission in fact. I wonder if the Focus is still using this gearbox or a newer one.

Focus is famed for its class-topping blend of handling and ride comfort... not only is the chassis and Control Blade suspension excellent for the class, it has plenty of electronic features to improve stability, control and thus safety such as the Torque Vectoring system.

Agree with you about the dopey rocker switch shift implementation of SelectShift. Mondeo has it better with paddle shifters. Ford should drop the rocker design and add a manual gate to their cars - more natural in feel and familiar to conventional manual users. But perhaps this point is moot as they appear to be moving towards rotary dial shifter (Jaguar-Land Rover style).

Sit Focus in showroom, seats feel fine to me. But going over bump definitely another story. I should try sometime.

Mondeo is definitely a more planted and stable machine. Much heavier, a lot more weight being thrown around. Steering overboosted feeling compared to previous generations, but Mondeo Mk V is more about comfort than before. Less sensation of good handling than Focus, but I feel Mondeo's handling is still excellent for its class and really impressive for 1.67 ton machine. I feel it could do with more feedback, is all. Mondeo also has a much more gutsy big engine that has monster numbers relative to jap cars especially... a bit of turbo lag but very refined, very rev happy and sounds nice sometimes, even. It can sprint to 100km/h in about 7.5s.

As for vibration issue, I experience this, but I find it's very mild. Barely there. Stronger in D, but most of the vibration comes from the sidewalls of the center console, which I believe is vibration from the transmission rather than the engine. I was expecting none of that to begin with, but I don't think it's a big deal. This is not S-Class category.

pls test drive n post feedback. my driving skills not so fine as to know what steering feedback is about - just find all cars i've driven, even toyota infamous no feedback / light steering felt similar to me..

the issue i've w ford focus is the crampy interior (like mz3), too firm seats n unknown longer term reliability about 1l turbo w overboost. on the other hand, mondeo very comfy seats, spacious n broader oso, but of cos diff cat / level; oso has add 5k surcharge for cevs, so i believe fc is not as good as other 2l maybe due to turbo though no need to rev beyond 2.5k rpm to move reasonably swift.

Turbocharged

pls test drive n post feedback. my driving skills not so fine as to know what steering feedback is about - just find all cars i've driven, even toyota infamous no feedback / light steering felt similar to me..

the issue i've w ford focus is the crampy interior (like mz3), too firm seats n unknown longer term reliability about 1l turbo w overboost. on the other hand, mondeo very comfy seats, spacious n broader oso, but of cos diff cat / level; oso has add 5k surcharge for cevs, so i believe fc is not as good as other 2l maybe due to turbo though no need to rev beyond 2.5k rpm to move reasonably swift.

For its power output the Mondeo has acceptable fuel economy. I average sort of bad numbers of around 8.5 to 8.4 typically but I do not have a lot of highway. My more recent average with highway about twice or thrice a week, doing about 9km/l. Compared to for example Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, the Mondeo's fuel economy and emissions are about the same but it makes a good lot more power and gets moving easier. Compared to most others' 2.0L engine like Mercedes-Benz or Volkswagen Passat, the Mondeo has higher fuel consumption but higher power. Part of it is due to the weight as I previously mention. But I really feel that taking into account the power and weight it is not that bad efficiency wise.

Definitely it is in a whole other class and price range versus the Focus. It is a lot larger and difficult to maneuver in some of our horrendous car parks like 313. Focus platform is actually derived from a Mazda developed platform of several years ago, that might be why it's a little bit cramped like Mazda lol.

But to make up for the sharp price increase, Mondeo has equipment spec to the nines, one of my favorite aspects of the car.

Focus is pretty solid and decently equipped at its price range with German feeling. Only thing is its interior quality is a little behind the curve now. I think Opel Astra will feel nicer to most people, and I find the Peugeot 308 also very classy.

Feedback I think can be described as a lot of things. I feel feedback means having an idea of what your front wheels are doing. Whether they are being twisted or pulled to one side by big bumps, road debris or just a huge puddle, when got steering feedback you can feel something is happening with your front wheels.

For example, I feel Mondeo's electric steering is definitely more dull and lacking in feel compared to my old car with hydraulic steering. But it is still engaging and you can quite confidently place the steering to get the line you want. Whereas I did try testing Corolla Altis. I had little confidence driving it because it feel so numb that I doubted the front wheels had any connection to the steering wheel at all.

As for reliability of 1.0L EcoBoost, it has awards, but those are for performance and innovation, not reliability. It has been in Fiesta here for some time, and there are many long term users in Europe driving on this engine. I believe there is one such guy here who also like his Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost, @Munhua. He do not report any issue with the engine so far.

For me, no longer go showroom and test drive anymore for a long time. I guess it cannot hurt to go do some again when wanna kill time.

Edited by 7hm

For its power output the Mondeo has acceptable fuel economy. I average sort of bad numbers of around 8.5 to 8.4 typically but I do not have a lot of highway. My more recent average with highway about twice or thrice a week, doing about 9km/l. Compared to for example Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, the Mondeo's fuel economy and emissions are about the same but it makes a good lot more power and gets moving easier. Compared to most others' 2.0L engine like Mercedes-Benz or Volkswagen Passat, the Mondeo has higher fuel consumption but higher power. Part of it is due to the weight as I previously mention. But I really feel that taking into account the power and weight it is not that bad efficiency wise.

Definitely it is in a whole other class and price range versus the Focus. It is a lot larger and difficult to maneuver in some of our horrendous car parks like 313. Focus platform is actually derived from a Mazda developed platform of several years ago, that might be why it's a little bit cramped like Mazda lol.

But to make up for the sharp price increase, Mondeo has equipment spec to the nines, one of my favorite aspects of the car.

Focus is pretty solid and decently equipped at its price range with German feeling. Only thing is its interior quality is a little behind the curve now. I think Opel Astra will feel nicer to most people, and I find the Peugeot 308 also very classy.

Feedback I think can be described as a lot of things. I feel feedback means having an idea of what your front wheels are doing. Whether they are being twisted or pulled to one side by big bumps, road debris or just a huge puddle, when got steering feedback you can feel something is happening with your front wheels.

For example, I feel Mondeo's electric steering is definitely more dull and lacking in feel compared to my old car with hydraulic steering. But it is still engaging and you can quite confidently place the steering to get the line you want. Whereas I did try testing Corolla Altis. I had little confidence driving it because it feel so numb that I doubted the front wheels had any connection to the steering wheel at all.

As for reliability of 1.0L EcoBoost, it has awards, but those are for performance and innovation, not reliability. It has been in Fiesta here for some time, and there are many long term users in Europe driving on this engine. I believe there is one such guy here who also like his Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost, @Munhua. He do not report any issue with the engine so far.

For me, no longer go showroom and test drive anymore for a long time. I guess it cannot hurt to go do some again when wanna kill time.

If fc is 8-9kml for such weight n power, def beats my 2l korean suv wc havin similar fc but not much performance to speak of, not to mention thr heavier weight.

Noted the steering feel comment; I should start to cultivate my senses regarding this..

So if usin torq converter shouldn't have issues w reliability, I suppose drivetrain issue isnt much of concern.

If u oredi drivin one may not need to bother 1l unless to satisfy ur curiosity or considering to downsize. Amount of accel depression to obtain decent accel is very obvious.

greatest competitor is prob the astra and I do note that the weight of the focus might be a disadvantage to the fuel consumption as it is about 100+kg more, about 2 persons  weight. The gearbox might be better exp compared to easytronic which takes getting used to. 

Turbocharged

If fc is 8-9kml for such weight n power, def beats my 2l korean suv wc havin similar fc but not much performance to speak of, not to mention thr heavier weight.

Noted the steering feel comment; I should start to cultivate my senses regarding this..

So if usin torq converter shouldn't have issues w reliability, I suppose drivetrain issue isnt much of concern.

If u oredi drivin one may not need to bother 1l unless to satisfy ur curiosity or considering to downsize. Amount of accel depression to obtain decent accel is very obvious.

Yep. Fuel consumption for Mondeo I think is really can be acceptable next to cars like Toyota Camry, Honda Accord or Korean 2Ls. Those car all make substantially less power and have less performance or driving fun with same sort of consumption figures.

Only Mazda6 2.5L I think is a significant competitor for those ranges, maybe Infiniti Q50, but more expensive.

The Germans all got newer drivetrains with newer gen turbo with wider torque peak, like BMW and Merc which also are lighter, so they get better economy, some faster also. The Ford 2.0L EcoBoost has been around since at least 2010! It was in the previous Mondeo facelift. Reliability so far seems quite OK, Ford Fusion has earned a surprising reputation for reliability in USA.

In fact I believe the 2.0L EcoBoost has lineage traced back to Mazda designs so it is a little Japanese at heart.

The gearbox is standard torque convertor, yea... it's quite OK. Just feels a bit old since it is also been around for 10 years. It is quite refined but still can confuse it a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission

But as mentioned, I dunno if Focus still use this transmission or have a new generation box. Never hear any news about them introducing a new gearbox, so probably is the same family, maybe different version. Would like to see them move to 7 speed or 8 speed.

Yep... already happily driving, hence why never go showrooms nowadays. Hee hee... Mondeo can get up to city speed with maybe 1.5 inch of pedal depression... highway cruise, also 1 inch of pedal... loads of running power on tap

greatest competitor is prob the astra and I do note that the weight of the focus might be a disadvantage to the fuel consumption as it is about 100+kg more, about 2 persons  weight. The gearbox might be better exp compared to easytronic which takes getting used to. 

Astra also got the great 1.4L version, but that falls into Cat B I think.

Astra got more equipment and more options like intelligent LED headlamps. Focus 1.0 Titanium is not bad equipped for the price, still cheaper than the Astra 1.4T

Dudes, I am averaging 8.0 KM / LITRE now.

I don't know what is happening.

I drive super slowly still the same.

It definitely has a boost... but the eco part.. not really

• Praise 1

Maybe u wanna try driving normally. Too slow oso not good for fc. Imagine driving in heavy traffic n reaching ur destination much later. So the reading in km / l instead of the other way?

Turbocharged

How can it be? That's worst than my Forester XT 2.0 turbo. There is no way a 1.0 3 cylinder engine can break the 10km/l barrier, even with a turbo.

Are you sure it's 8.0km/l or 8.0l/100km?

If its 8.0l/100km your FC is fantastic!

Another way is do a manual calculation. How much distance you travel divide by how much fuel you pump to full tank.

if traffic allows, drive faster, zhua yew to pick up faster to reach speed limit faster, then cruise off.

Hi bro,

Change engine oil and oil filter after 1,000km. Im doing around 11.6km/Ltr and my mileage abt 4,000km now.

Not forgetting i will rev to ard 5k rpm at times  [rolleyes]

I believe our ride can go up till 12+ or even 13km/ltr.

Chill man! [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Too light foot are not always good for FC. As you will get forever to reach cruising speed which is the best for FC. You are holding a lower gear for a long time.

Accelerate moderately to reach cruising speed.

Just collected my focus 1.0 ecoboost titanium last week. Here are some comments...

Im getting around the same, car is 5 days old, 2nd top up, 1st top up of 50litres finished in 380km. Thats really terrible, hope this is just during running in period, average is 12l/100km, which translates to 8km/l, my previous 10yr old car was doing 10km/l. 

slight vibration felt wen stopped, not all the time though, and really very minor, no big deal for a 100k car. 

audio bass is so strong that u hear some buzzing due to the vibration.

pick up from stop is so so only, but once u touch 60, accelerating is really torquey even with 5 people.

i must say overall i am extremely impressed with the performance and the features this car has. Size is the only main issue, so it might not be for you if you have a family of 5 grown ups.

Doesnt come with alarm, just immobiliser so i guess ill be fitting an after market alarm system(any suggestions?)

• Praise 1

Just collected my focus 1.0 ecoboost titanium last week. Here are some comments...

Im getting around the same, car is 5 days old, 2nd top up, 1st top up of 50litres finished in 380km. Thats really terrible, hope this is just during running in period, average is 12l/100km, which translates to 8km/l, my previous 10yr old car was doing 10km/l. 

slight vibration felt wen stopped, not all the time though, and really very minor, no big deal for a 100k car. 

audio bass is so strong that u hear some buzzing due to the vibration.

pick up from stop is so so only, but once u touch 60, accelerating is really torquey even with 5 people.

i must say overall i am extremely impressed with the performance and the features this car has. Size is the only main issue, so it might not be for you if you have a family of 5 grown ups.

Doesnt come with alarm, just immobiliser so i guess ill be fitting an after market alarm system(any suggestions?)

Thks for the feedback and congrats on your new ride!

U drive a lot in the city? I suspecting cos that kind of FC normally is for start stop scenarios.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3