HID bulb burst. Anyone know why?

youpapalite

Recently i've replaced my HID bulbs but it burst within a week.

Anyone know the reason? Only one side burst. the other side is working. Noticed it when i heard a loud buzz sound. Went out of the car to look and one of the bulbs burst.

Replaced the bulb as it was under warranty, however, the shop told me they will no longer replace the bulbs for me as they have never encountered this before. And stated that it could be my ballast that isn't compatible with the bulb. They would only honor the warranty if i purchase a pair of ballast from them. But i decided not to and told them i wouldn't claim the warranty if the bulbs were to burst again.

Would like to check if there such a thing of incompatible ballast?

Anyway it isn't an issue for me as if it were to burst again, i would not be claiming the warranty too as it is too troublesome and the owner suspected i tampered with the bulb (i know nuts about the bulbs so there's no way for me to tamper with it).

But anyone know the reason why? Googled but no results.

*The person installing did not touch the bulbs as i was observing throughout the time he was installing

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Yes. Chiong HID bulbs. Claimed high quality though with 1 year warranty supposingly.

My car model comes with stock HID, so i don't think it's illegal right? Except for the bulb quality (correct me if i'm wrong). Could it be my ballast? Or poor quality bulb? Or any other reasons so i can prevent it or watch out?

**EDIT**

Just to add, the bulb really burst. not crack or stop shining. The entire glass casing burst and all the glass parts was all over my casing.

Edited by youpapalite

Yes. Chiong HID bulbs. Claimed high quality though with 1 year warranty supposingly.

My car model comes with stock HID, so i don't think it's illegal right? Except for the bulb quality (correct me if i'm wrong). Could it be my ballast? Or poor quality bulb? Or any other reasons so i can prevent it or watch out?

**EDIT**

Just to add, the bulb really burst. not crack or stop shining. The entire glass casing burst and all the glass parts was all over my casing.

If your car comes with stock HID, then the shop bulls**t you about the ballast. Your OEM ballast is better than any other ballast they could possibly put inside. Are you using D2S bulbs?

• Praise 1

probably those 8000k and above. The highest Philips makes is 6000-6700k. Osram goes up to 5500K

Probably. Coz factory HID normally can easily take 5000K-6000K temperature with no issues.

Probably. Coz factory HID normally can easily take 5000K-6000K temperature with no issues.

It's 3000k lol. yellow. Not LTA approved. not osram and not philips. Those no brand ones that come in a white plain box. not sure how and why it could even burst. [:|] Wanted to try a different look but i would probably revert back to stock. Only thing worry that the ballast has issue, and that my new 'stock' hid bulbs will burst again.

From what i heard, ballast all is the same only difference is the quality. So if the ballast is of bad quality, shouldn't the ballast be spoilt causing the bulb not to shine instead of the bulb bursting (not sure if what i said can be understood)? [laugh]

Another reason i can think of is that this particular bulb is defective.. Not sure if anyone have similar experience? Or know of anyone that have similar experience.

It's 3000k lol. yellow. Not LTA approved. not osram and not philips. Those no brand ones that come in a white plain box. not sure how and why it could even burst. [:|] Wanted to try a different look but i would probably revert back to stock. Only thing worry that the ballast has issue, and that my new 'stock' hid bulbs will burst again.

From what i heard, ballast all is the same only difference is the quality. So if the ballast is of bad quality, shouldn't the ballast be spoilt causing the bulb not to shine instead of the bulb bursting (not sure if what i said can be understood)? [laugh]

Another reason i can think of is that this particular bulb is defective.. Not sure if anyone have similar experience? Or know of anyone that have similar experience.

You should know that the factory ballast is one of the best out there. Your factory one couldn't possibly be of poor quality if not car manufacturers would not even put it there. These things can last more than 10 years without fail. I think it's quite obvious that the bulbs are of poor quality. I've replaced my stock 4300K bulbs with 5500k ones from Osram and they work fine.

Yes there are different types of ballasts out there but those are the aftermarket kind which can give way after awhile. The one that comes from the factory is usually made by Denso. Denso is one of the major car part manufacturers in the world and they produce quality items.

**EDIT**

usually replacing bulb under HID, you should get back the same type as the output from the source is not the same on every bulb replacement. I can only think the bulb is either too bright for your source.

• Praise 1

Recently i've replaced my HID bulbs but it burst within a week.

Anyone know the reason? Only one side burst. the other side is working. Noticed it when i heard a loud buzz sound. Went out of the car to look and one of the bulbs burst.

Replaced the bulb as it was under warranty, however, the shop told me they will no longer replace the bulbs for me as they have never encountered this before. And stated that it could be my ballast that isn't compatible with the bulb. They would only honor the warranty if i purchase a pair of ballast from them. But i decided not to and told them i wouldn't claim the warranty if the bulbs were to burst again.

Would like to check if there such a thing of incompatible ballast?

Anyway it isn't an issue for me as if it were to burst again, i would not be claiming the warranty too as it is too troublesome and the owner suspected i tampered with the bulb (i know nuts about the bulbs so there's no way for me to tamper with it).

But anyone know the reason why? Googled but no results.

*The person installing did not touch the bulbs as i was observing throughout the time he was installing

my exp wasn't w hid but pole light. got an aftermkt one claimed to be fr korea n not cina; also one side blown despite a replacement. now using philips ultinon 4300k for over a yr, so far so gd. so i'm inclined to conclude go for known brands.

• Praise 1

usually replacing bulb under HID, you should get back the same type as the output from the source is not the same on every bulb replacement. I can only think the bulb is either too bright for your source.

I thought so as well. But is it just our 'theory' about it being too bright for my source?

Not sure what is the same type as all along i always thought HID = HID. [sweatdrop]

Any one can confirm if there are various power/wattage for HID bulbs or all HID bulbs are the same except for their quality?

It has to do with how HID works and the quality of the bulb.

HID requires high watts to get it started and it will stabilize to a low wattage. If the quality used can't handle the initial high power needless to say it will fail. Chiong is usually using sub-par quality to give you the cheap price.

It has to do with how HID works and the quality of the bulb.

HID requires high watts to get it started and it will stabilize to a low wattage. If the quality used can't handle the initial high power needless to say it will fail. Chiong is usually using sub-par quality to give you the cheap price.

Got it. Yea... Unfortunately the warranty for the bulb has been voided by the shop claiming the fault lies with my ballast. They will only honor it unless i get my ballast from them. Oh well. -_- Before that was thinking how wrong can it be with 1 year warranty.. hahaha.

Anyway, Thanks all for the replies.

Just to share.....

Sometimes it is really a must to make sure our oil stain from our fingers DO NOT touch any of the HID bulb. HID bulbs are very fragile and emits out high light output thus resulting very hot. So it's important not to touch it even a bit of it. Last time our workshop guy touched a Camry hid bulb while replacing and the foremen said "hoseh liao you will know what will happen in 1 week" so 1-2 weeks time the driver really came back ........😣

Vincent

Edited by DrGlass

Neutral Newbie

You should know that the factory ballast is one of the best out there. Your factory one couldn't possibly be of poor quality if not car manufacturers would not even put it there. These things can last more than 10 years without fail. I think it's quite obvious that the bulbs are of poor quality. I've replaced my stock 4300K bulbs with 5500k ones from Osram and they work fine.

Yes there are different types of ballasts out there but those are the aftermarket kind which can give way after awhile. The one that comes from the factory is usually made by Denso. Denso is one of the major car part manufacturers in the world and they produce quality items.

Hi fastfive1, is it easy to replace the HID bulb? Where did u purchase the Osram HID bulb from?

My 2007 camry one side lighted up for 20mins than off....is it the HID bulb problem?

↡ Advertisement