Please check or replace your spare tire

Doppel

Hello everyone,

For people with full size spare tires, please check your spare tire's pressure periodically, say every six months.

I checked mine earlier this week, the pressure has dropped to an unusable 150 kPa (1.5 bar or 21.8 psi); I only pumped it to 250 kPa about a year ago.

Further, mine was already more than five years old; while it has never been mounted on the car before, I decided to change it this morning, as it would have suffered from rubber deterioration.

Unless one has X-rays' eyes like Superman to inspect the tire's internal structure, one would not know if the steel radial cords and the rubber have lost their bonding and the tire's structural integrity is compromised and therefore unusable. A five year old tire should not be put in service, regardless of tread wear and usage pattern.

Some may think it is a waste of money to change your spare tire which one hardly use; if you just drive in Singapore and distances are very short (50 - 100 km), I think it is OK to use your old spare tire and drive to your usual tire shop for repair and replacement.

However, if you travel to Malaysia sometimes, I think a functional spare tire (full size spare or temporary spare) or tire repair kit is important, so that your mobility and safety are not compromised.

Drive safely, regularly maintain your vehicle and you would enjoy many years of safe motoring.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Good post, but you must know that some modern cars (including mine) don't even carry a donut, just a tyre reflation kit. I don't entirely agree with this philosophy because no sealant will help in case of a sidewall slash or other catastrophic failure.

A bit OT and it's completely not your fault, but my eyes are already burning from that disgusting travesty (XX) in the Tyre Queen ad that presumably sprang up because of the keyword in the thread. :D

The quicker that disgusting creature gets removed from that ad, the better. Tyre Queen will see not a cent from me as long as *that* is the mascot.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 7

Good post, but you must know that some modern cars (including mine) don't even carry a donut, just a tyre reflation kit. I don't entirely agree with this philosophy because no sealant will help in case of a sidewall slash or other catastrophic failure.

A bit OT and it's completely not your fault, but my eyes are already burning from that disgusting travesty (XX) in the Tyre Queen ad that presumably sprang up because of the keyword in the thread. :D

The quicker that disgusting creature gets removed from that ad, the better. Tyre Queen will see not a cent from me as long as *that* is the mascot.

Oh yes, such an eye sore [laugh] [laugh]

That? More like IT.

See the resemblance?

post-1829-0-00195100-1417923894.jpg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Use run flat tyres lor. No need to have spares :D

@Vid,

I am afraid, most people do not know that for run flat tires to work properly, they have to be mounted on rims with EH2 or EH2+ hump, so that in the event of loss of pressure, the run flat tires will not slip off the rim and can be still driven.

Mounting a run flat tire on a non-EH2 or EH2+ rim would not reap the benefit of having the run flat.

Further, you need a "high tech" car which can detect the difference in the traction of the tire which has lost pressure, through the car's ABS sensors, which cars with original OEM run flat tires are equipped to do so.

Finally, tires choices of run flat are quite limited and they have to be of sturdier construction, so if you are looking for a comfort tire, ride of the car has to be compromised.

• Praise 2

@Vid,

I am afraid, most people do not know that for run flat tires to work properly, they have to be mounted on rims with EH2 or EH2+ hump, so that in the event of loss of pressure, the run flat tires will not slip off the rim and can be still driven.

Mounting a run flat tire on a non-EH2 or EH2+ rim would not reap the benefit of having the run flat.

Further, you need a "high tech" car which can detect the difference in the traction of the tire which has lost pressure, through the car's ABS sensors, which cars with original OEM run flat tires are equipped to do so.

Finally, tires choices of run flat are quite limited and they have to be of sturdier construction, so if you are looking for a comfort tire, ride of the car has to be compromised.

A sobering anecdote: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/08/my-luxurious-bmw-750li-run-flat-nightmare/index.htm

Another: http://www.torquenews.com/1083/we-put-bmw-run-flat-tires-test-what-you-need-know

Run-flats can inconvenience one, but their chief draw is that they can save lives if the worst (tyre-related catastrophe) should happen.

Edited by Turboflat4

Supercharged

I include the full size spare tire in the 10,000 km tires rotation.

All five tires wear down evenly and none ignored [grouphug]

• Praise 2

I include the full size spare tire in the 10,000 km tires rotation.

All five tires wear down evenly and none ignored [grouphug]

Tyre Shop very difficult to earn your money like that ... 😂

Supercharged

Tyre Shop very difficult to earn your money like that ... 😂

I just did the rotation last week

tirerotation_zpsebb5a24c.jpg

Those are location and mileage of each tire of last rotation and after the rotation

Turbocharged

OT a bit here.

How many times have you guys got a punctured tire thru out your driving career locally?

In the last 20 yrs I got 5 punctures if I remembered correctly ; which translates into one puncture every 4 years .

Of the 5 punctures , only once was it completely flat that required a change to spare tyre ; the other instances it was a slow leak and I can still drive to the nearest tyre shop.

Supercharged

OT a bit here.

How many times have you guys got a punctured tire thru out your driving career locally?

based on my current driving routes in Singapore, the probability is about one in 50,000 km traveled.

OT a bit here.

Depends on where one work I guess. I worked in those hdb factories. Average once a month from screws thrown onto the floor.

Now I have my own repair kit, repair myself. Pull out the screw, enlarge and smoothen the hole then push in the worm plug. Pump up the tyre and I am good to go.

• Praise 2

@Vid,

Didn't know there is so much science just to use run flat. My car came with them so I never really bother abt it 😛

Turbocharged

I think I am extremely lucky. Only once for more than 10 years of driving.

And its just nice I am about to change out all the tires.

I think around once per year or 1.5 yrs. there are lots of inconsiderate ppl whom throw their nails or screws all over the place. I found a quite a few on the car park floor recently after some retrofitting works by contractors engaged by the town council. Needless to say, I placed all the nails at the wheel of tat car I hated most in the mscp :D

Joking lah threw them down the bin and thank tat I wasnt a victim

• Praise 1

OT a bit here.

since I started driving in 2005 until 9, only encountered 2 tyre puncture.
↡ Advertisement