Three week road trip up north

Neutrino

adrianli is prolly the best guy to help on this but any others of you lot got any ideas?

2 or 3 weeks duration.

Time is not of the essence.

Do I have to book up at hotels before I leave???

Don't appreciate driving like most of MCFers but want to have a better look around Malaysia.

Thinking about Sing to Tanjung Malim/Slim river as first leg.

Then up to Ipoh as second leg.

Then a week around Ipoh.

Ipoh to Kota Bharu or Kuala Trengarru as next leg.

KT to Kuantan.

Kuantan Singapore.

Are there better places to stop with nicer hotels or better/more interesting places to see?

Are the roads from Ipoh to Kota Bharu good in rainy weather.

Anything else I should be aware of.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Neutrino
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Good point.

I was thinking about middle to end of January or early Feb before CNY.

Thinking of avoiding Spring Cleaning, for CNY? Hahaha........

How about wait for next durian season.......can sample diff types of durian at leisure.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

adrianli is prolly the best guy to help on this but any others of you lot got any ideas?

2 or 3 weeks duration.

Don't appreciate driving like most of MCFers but want to have a better look around Malaysia.

Then a week around Ipoh.

KT to Kuantan.

Kuantan Singapore.

Are there better places to stop with nicer hotels or better/more interesting places to see?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you doing a West coast to East coast loop of peninsular Malaysia.

If you are firm in your itinerary, and sure to follow your schedule, then you should book the hotels before you go.

While in Ipoh for a week, can drive up Cameron Highlands for 2 nights stay.

From Cameron, you could drive on to Kota Bahru via Gua Musang route. Probably a 3-4 hours drive. Then you can enjoy the scenic routes from Ipoh-CH-GM. After GM, it's all B roads on the East coast.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Sounds like you doing a West coast to East coast loop of peninsular Malaysia.

If you are firm in your itinerary, and sure to follow your schedule, then you should book the hotels before you go.

While in Ipoh for a week, can drive up Cameron Highlands for 2 nights stay.

From Cameron, you could drive on to Kota Bahru via Gua Musang route. Probably a 3-4 hours drive. Then you can enjoy the scenic routes from Ipoh-CH-GM. After GM, it's all B roads on the East coast.

Thanks some good info and ideas.

The reason I didn't want to book hotels first is because that gives me more flexibility if say as some suggest that a week in Ipoh is too long, although I was just thinking of using Ipoh as a base to look around the region in more detail, such as up to Cameron Highlands etc etc..

Isn't durian season a lot earlier the further north you go?

Edited by Neutrino

Supercharged

The reason I didn't want to book hotels first is because that gives me more flexibility if say as some suggest that a week in Ipoh is too long, although I was just thinking of using Ipoh as a base to look around the region in more detail, such as up to Cameron Highlands etc etc..

Got good n bad, if you do not book your hotels earlier. The risk is mainly not able to secure a hotel in a location you want, or a hotel of your preference, in a location you want.

From Ipoh you can also drive to Lumut and get onto a ferry to Pangkor, or visit the Lost World of Tambun, or go cave exploring. CH is one place you should not miss, since its so near to Ipoh.

For durian season, I'm not too sure about this.

2 or 3 weeks duration.

Then a week around Ipoh.

KT to Kuantan.

Kuantan Singapore.

Thanks guys.

This time of the year till next year Feb not a good time to travel to Kuantan / Treng area. Many places flood during raining monsoon season. Unless you are driving very high SUV or u might be risking car soak and tow back to Singapore which can be very expensive.

• Praise 1

if i have the time and only travel with my partner, i would take the east coaster route up and stop at any place for hotel, assume non peak season and after the monsoon season, then return from the west coast.

if want the 'safer' way then stick to the west coast and take the usual NSHW, but that has been done so many time liao.

I was there for 3 nights. Very relaxing le.

Which hotel did you stay?

Good places to eat?

Really depends what you want to do. Is your goal to visit major cities in Malaysia ?? Experience kampung life ? Natural sceneries ? History ?

One week in Ipoh maybe a bit long .. Also, it is possible to reach Ipoh in one day. Start from 10am, probably can reach there before 4 or 5pm. I normally start 10am, reach Penang before 7pm on the way to Thai border. When in Ipoh, visit temples, nearby Cameron Highlands, Gopeng town, Gua Tempurung .. probably no need 1 week. Take car ferry to Pulau Pagoh ?

Could also go Northern border, go to Perlis or Alor Setar / Kedah see Mahathir's hometown and one of oldest Malay kingdoms. You will also see padi fields for a change in scenery vs. palm oil plantations ..

Maybe go to Gua Musang on your way to Trengganu. Stop by Tasik Kenyir ? I haven't yet done it, but I heard if you go to Kota Bahru and bordering towns I think there are a lot of history both Japanese invasion and Malayan Communist insurgence in that area. When you go down Kuantan, visit Sungei Lembing near Kuantan ?

Come back .. can take either (1) Route 3 (through Pekan/Kota Tinggi), (2) Route 12 (through Segamat) or (3) E8 (through Genting/KL).

Option (1) slow and relaxing but winding drive. Fishing ports along the way, royal town of Pekan, and a lot of plantations. Can go down to Desaru / Johor Lama, see where the original Johor kingdom was (Singapore's sultan) along Johor river. Beach resorts won't be as good as Kuantan though. Come back through E22/JB.

Option (2), more straight forward, slightly longer than (1). Just straight roads with plantations until you reach Segamat, then Yong Peng and NSHW. Can also stop in Kluang for farm stay and eat/shop at organic vegetable farms.

Option (3), longest route but can visit Bukit Tinggi, Genting, KL or Putrajaya ? The Bentong ginger is good, especially when used to steam river fish. Coming back, want to stop by Port Dickson, Melaka also can, but maybe by now you also sian already.

Thanks.

I've done all of the stuff south of Kuantan - KL except Port Dickson which I want to recce for a trip with the MIL who's very shaky walking etc etc.

Thinking of avoiding Spring Cleaning, for CNY? Hahaha........

How about wait for next durian season.......can sample diff types of durian at leisure.

...Durian season already here...

• Praise 1

Which hotel did you stay?

Good places to eat?

Thanks.

I've done all of the stuff south of Kuantan - KL except Port Dickson which I want to recce for a trip with the MIL who's very shaky walking etc etc.

I stayed in this hotel call French Hotel. For local food, it would be good to go Old Town (not that chain store).

When i was there, i was doing cafe/bistro hopping following this blog:

http://alwaystravelicious.com/2014/02/05/cafes-ipoh/

I found a English pub call Big John Music Shack in Concubine lane. Very chill 1.

(edited)

I stayed in this hotel call French Hotel. For local food, it would be good to go Old Town (not that chain store).

When i was there, i was doing cafe/bistro hopping following this blog:

http://alwaystravelicious.com/2014/02/05/cafes-ipoh/

I found a English pub call Big John Music Shack in Concubine lane. Very chill 1.

Thanks for info.

Cannot give praise until I praise another 9 posters.

ditto roadrunner

Edited by Neutrino
↡ Advertisement