Question on Upgrading rim and tyre size

Geniuspear

Thanks. if I used the calculator correctly, inner clearance is 4mm less and Outer extends an extra 22mm.

a) is there a rule of thumb +/- % of offset that a person should go?

b) Other than fitting on the actual rim/tire, how to check if it will rub the fender? If on existing 17" and I measure 22mm and it is still within the fender, does that means it is acceptable?

c) Any negative impact of going an offset other than manufacturer recommandation? Shorten lifespan of absorber etc?

a) No, as long as it fits.

b) For rear wheels, as long as it fits into the fender, or fender covers the wheel when you have a full load or rear passengers, you are clear. For front wheels, you can ask the seller to jack your car up, mount one of the front wheels and full turn your steering wheel to make sure no rubbing while doing full turn.

c) Personally, no. But upsizing will increase FC and decrease ride quality.

Some will say aftermarket rims have weaker structural integrity. I have tried both Jap and TW rims and both are okay. Just don't blindly drive into potholes thinking your rims can take the impact.

↡ Advertisement

Thanks. if I used the calculator correctly, inner clearance is 4mm less and Outer extends an extra 22mm.

b) Other than fitting on the actual rim/tire, how to check if it will rub the fender? If on existing 17" and I measure 22mm and it is still within the fender, does that means it is acceptable?

c) Any negative impact of going an offset other than manufacturer recommandation? Shorten lifespan of absorber etc?

a) yes , if you want everything Original factory specification, follow OE offset

b) No 100% answer for this, even trying with car lifted up is still no 100% 

you want 100% (1) use only original (2) ask the seller you want 100% clear (3) you try at your own

c) yes is the answer for any changes from original

But not always Negative

wheel offset number reduced (smaller ) will make the wheel more flush with your fender

and this could(not 100%) shorten (not damaged) the Life span of shock absorber , wheel bearing ,  

just MHO

• Praise 1

can get some expert advice on upgrading from folks here?

current ride hyundai getz with stock rims 185/60/14 - tyres need changing so im considering plus 1 sizing. Saw one rims with tyre package 195/55/15, its second hand but tyres have meat so i am seriously considering. Since a bit of a noob, could u all suggest if its a good idea in terms of handling, speed n fuel economy n other issues. Thanks!

can get some expert advice on upgrading from folks here?

current ride hyundai getz with stock rims 185/60/14 - tyres need changing so im considering plus 1 sizing. Saw one rims with tyre package 195/55/15, its second hand but tyres have meat so i am seriously considering. Since a bit of a noob, could u all suggest if its a good idea in terms of handling, speed n fuel economy n other issues. Thanks!

from what I know  Getz got diff stock size , 165/65/14  and 175/65/14 and 185/60/14

can double check your driver side pillar (sticker) for detail

if you really worry about fuel , don't change your size stay with 185/60/14(or stock) and go for better quality BEST

It doesn't make sense spend money upgrade your wheel size and put on lower quality tires. 

if want to change 15 go 185/55/15 is better than 195/50/15 to MPO

from what I know  Getz got diff stock size , 165/65/14  and 175/65/14 and 185/60/14

can double check your driver side pillar (sticker) for detail

if you really worry about fuel , don't change your size stay with 185/60/14(or stock) and go for better quality BEST

It doesn't make sense spend money upgrade your wheel size and put on lower quality tires. 

if want to change 15 go 185/55/15 is better than 195/50/15 to MPO

Thanks @Roberttan, appreciate your advice. i think ill stick to my stock rims n tyre profile. I went down to the shop to see the 15 inch rims but didnt really like it.. someone also in the forum said to avoid second-hand taiwan rims so better stay away hehe. thanks!

Thanks @Roberttan, appreciate your advice. i think ill stick to my stock rims n tyre profile. I went down to the shop to see the 15 inch rims but didnt really like it.. someone also in the forum said to avoid second-hand taiwan rims so better stay away hehe. thanks!

nothing wrong to buy second hand rim

can always ask the shop how to see is the old rim still in reasonably good condition (not badly dented)

anyway good moved

stick to stock size go for good quality tires you wont go wrong

• Praise 1

Hi Bro, need some advice.

Am driving a 120i cabriolet and am on staggered rims 17 inch now. Want to upgrade to 18 inch but unable to find rims to match a staggered set up.

If I were to use all around same tyres, what size should I use? And any long term implications?

Hi Bro, need some advice.

Am driving a 120i cabriolet and am on staggered rims 17 inch now. Want to upgrade to 18 inch but unable to find rims to match a staggered set up.

If I were to use all around same tyres, what size should I use? And any long term implications?

No Long term implication, quite a number of people do this. Be easy to find 18's staggered lots of secondhand original BMW rims for sale after the owners upgrade to after market

No Long term implication, quite a number of people do this. Be easy to find 18's staggered lots of secondhand original BMW rims for sale after the owners upgrade to after market

Thanks bro. Pardon my questions if it sounds stupid, am not very savvy at some of these stuff.

Can I trouble you to shed more light on the following;

I went to Al Tyres and they said they don't have staggered rims for my car model, 120i cabriolet. The ones they have is at 9 JJ which will rub against my fender.

1) If I use same tires all around, what should I use for sizing? Currently am on front: 205/50 R17 and rear: 225/45 R17.

2) Will it affect my suspension in the long term? Really no effect at all?

3) Where do I find the staggered rims for my 120i? BM recommends 215/40 r18 front and 245/35 r18 rear.

That said, from your experience, what do you recommend me to do? Change to non staggered all around or stagger?

I am on runflats now and looking at going on non run flats.

Thank you very much for your time and inputs.

At most up to 15" for a Getz, but nothing more - as that will seriously impede the small, NA engine's takeoff oomph!

Stay at 14" if you wish, but avoid "upgrading" to cheap replica rims (many made in Taiwan, or China). Nice to see only.

Go for the real thing ... light weight Made in Japan, branded alloy racing rims ... many to choose from ... Work, Advan Racing, even Enkei (beware not all Enkei are MIJ - and you can tell by their relative weights!).

Thanks bro. Pardon my questions if it sounds stupid, am not very savvy at some of these stuff.

I went to Al Tyres and they said they don't have staggered rims for my car model, 120i cabriolet. The ones they have is at 9 JJ which will rub against my fender.

1) If I use same tires all around, what should I use for sizing? Currently am on front: 205/50 R17 and rear: 225/45 R17.

3) Where do I find the staggered rims for my 120i? BM recommends 215/40 r18 front and 245/35 r18 rear.

That said, from your experience, what do you recommend me to do? Change to non staggered all around or stagger?

Switch to non RFTs - yes, fine.

But going staggered for a low-torque 120i? Naaah

Switch to non RFTs - yes, fine.

But going staggered for a low-torque 120i? Naaah ðð¼

My 6-pot comes stock with factory-staggered at 18" 225/40 and 245/35.

With >300Nm but am still thinking of "downgrading" to non-staggered.

I feel that with good, wet-performance tyres, no need for staggered lah ... unless really high torque engine, to ensure rubber on tarmac on launch, or round fast, wet bends.

But 120i???

Thanks bro. So what do you suggest I do? Will my pick ups improve when I change from 17 run flat to 18 non run flat?

Also, what tire profile do you suggest?

Thank you.

You can change to 18 inch non staggered rims, you do not have to stick with staggered rims. As long as the PCD and offset fit your car, you can use the rim.

Go check it out with one of the better tyres shops around ... like South East. They will be able to give you some good advise.

You can change to 18 inch non staggered rims, you do not have to stick with staggered rims. As long as the PCD and offset fit your car, you can use the rim.

Go check it out with one of the better tyres shops around ... like South East. They will be able to give you some good advise.

Thanks. Will it affect my car suspension or anything else in the long run?

Thanks. Will it affect my car suspension or anything else in the long run?

Hmmm.... go google lah. Lots of information available on the web ....

Just google topics like ...

Staggered vs non staggered

Upgrade bigger rims ....

etc etc

Hmmm.... go google lah. Lots of information available on the web ....

Just google topics like ...

Staggered vs non staggered

Upgrade bigger rims ....

etc etc

Thanks. I already did but there are many different answers. That's why I was asking for opinions or experiences here.

Thanks.

Thanks. I already did but there are many different answers. That's why I was asking for opinions or experiences here.

Thanks.

I had 17 inch staggered rims for my car as well and never had any issues. Swopped to 18 inch and did not like the feel of the tires with a lower profile.

You will lose some comfort with a bigger rim and lower profile tires. IMHO, bigger rims are for mainly for aesthetic. If you are fussy with ride comfort, stick with 17 inch.

Very simple logic lower profile tires, less rubber to absorb the knocks/bounces from the road. Wider tires for better road holding, I agree but at the expense of comfort.

I would say you need to think about why you are changing, either way staggered non staggered will not impact the ride much only the size of the rim will.

You have consider why you are changing? If cost then yes beneficial using same tyres on all allows you to do tire rotation and better deals. If handing I would given your ride Rim size will have a larger impact then staggered setup (steering feel), if looks then well its subjective.

No question is stupid lah, just sharing opinions nia.

Anyway

Personally I would go with 215's all round, some say use too wide for front will have higher chance of aquaplaning this I cannot confirm. But currently mine is front 225 and back 245 seems great.

No effect, in face some rumors on the net say changing to non rft would result in suspension issues (bmw tuned for rft blah blah) but I would dispute this as so many have change no issues.

A number of Bmw owners get the car new and immediately swap for aftermarket, usually you can find the traded in rims at popular shops like Top 93 or sold direct on BMW Sg, if you go really high end brand like vorsteiner they sell staggared but get prepared to pay a fortune. If you really want staggered and 18 just buy a used M sport rim, there are plenty out there.

Consider your goal of changing and take the decision from there.

↡ Advertisement