The Alfa Romeo Effect

Saabretooth

Sold my 159 after 9 mths ownership. Kinda of missing it. Will i be a laughing stock if i were to go out and hunt for another 159?

Since giving up my 159, i have been ogling at all the 159s i seen on the road and will mumble " what a pity "...

Nope you get a back welcome back to the fraternity who drives their car with a heart

Perhaps look at a 3.2v of the 159 this time around.

↡ Advertisement

Is there any reason why you sell of your ride just after 9 months? Have been toying with idea of getting one but have not taken the plunge due to no experience on reliabilty on Alfa 159. Care to share little more? :)

Sold my 159 after 9 mths ownership. Kinda of missing it. Will i be a laughing stock if i were to go out and hunt for another 159?

Since giving up my 159, i have been ogling at all the 159s i seen on the road and will mumble " what a pity "...

Is there any reason why you sell of your ride just after 9 months? Have been toying with idea of getting one but have not taken the plunge due to no experience on reliabilty on Alfa 159. Care to share little more? :)

During the 9 months, i only encountered a flat battery. Can't comment too much on the reliability. But from what i read, normal wear & tear is expected and more components are involved.

The reason i sold mine was due to the sillyspeed. Couldn't get use/tolerate the jerkiness during move-off or start-stop traffic. That is my only and biggest complain.

Everything else i encountered with she was enjoyable and fun. Too bad the traffic conditions in Singapore is more start-stop thus i was not able to tolerate the jerkiness.

Nope you get a back welcome back to the fraternity who drives their car with a heart

Perhaps look at a 3.2v of the 159 this time around.

Just took a look at SGCM on the 3.2. Depreciation is lower but road tax is higher. Will have to study in more detail.

Is it still using sillyspeed? Gearbox seems different.

Just get a manual version. Solved all problems. Afterall, something is really missing if you are driving an Alfa, yet it is an auto.

During the 9 months, i only encountered a flat battery. Can't comment too much on the reliability. But from what i read, normal wear & tear is expected and more components are involved.

The reason i sold mine was due to the sillyspeed. Couldn't get use/tolerate the jerkiness during move-off or start-stop traffic. That is my only and biggest complain.

Everything else i encountered with she was enjoyable and fun. Too bad the traffic conditions in Singapore is more start-stop thus i was not able to tolerate the jerkiness.

Just took a look at SGCM on the 3.2. Depreciation is lower but road tax is higher. Will have to study in more detail.

I owned a selespeed fiat stilo before...it was addictive when I did the down shift! That is why I am looking at 159 now.

You are right about the start stop traffic. I am also looking at the 3.2 auto for the ease of driving for my spouse. The road tax is on the high side though and I am not willing to donate $$ to LTA. I think the 3.2 GB is the normal auto GB.

I read many cases of former selespeed drivers not getting used to their smooth merce or bmw when they change car

so I am concern what I gonna get when the time comes. lol

3.2 shld be the "bullet proof aisin" that everyone raves about eh

Yeah, the standard Aisin gearbox.

Even then there will be wear and tear of the now older Alfa. So don't fret when it comes to maintenance.

p/s the 159 Selespeed, when driven well, is actually quite smooth, get an experienced guy to bring you for a drive to let you know how it feels....

Who would be laughing at you? haven't you seen the movies where at the end of one big round, the lead actor returns and dates and marries his highschool sweetheart...?

• Praise 1

I read many cases of former selespeed drivers not getting used to their smooth merce or bmw when they change car

so I am concern what I gonna get when the time comes. lol

3.2 shld be the "bullet proof aisin" that everyone raves about eh

cant agree more.. recently drove the XF... really quite sedated.. without jerks.. i dont know what my car is doing..

• Praise 1

Just get a manual version. Solved all problems. Afterall, something is really missing if you are driving an Alfa, yet it is an auto.

Fyi, Alfa manual is err somehow....

Anyway, selespeed on 156 is the first sequential gearbox installed in a road car.

That's something to be proud of

haven't checked in for a long time...

positive effect: people tend to give way to me, security guards just wave me through (including condos), compliments from almost everyone.

negative effect: every shop wants to chop me and stupid comments about reliability (from everyone who has not owned an Alfa before).

had my 147 since Dec 2013 and done nearly 40k km, including 5-6 road trips. no regrets so far. intensive repairs and modding for the first 3 months and pure enjoyment since then. just chipped it 2 days before CNY [drivingcar]

• Praise 3

haven't checked in for a long time...

positive effect: people tend to give way to me, security guards just wave me through (including condos), compliments from almost everyone.

negative effect: every shop wants to chop me and stupid comments about reliability (from everyone who has not owned an Alfa before).

had my 147 since Dec 2013 and done nearly 40k km, including 5-6 road trips. no regrets so far. intensive repairs and modding for the first 3 months and pure enjoyment since then. just chipped it 2 days before CNY [drivingcar]

Cool bro. I really envy all of you who own an Alfa. I love Alfas... but I can't afford one. Price's on the high side. Still hoping I can afford one day.

I still remember seeing a full spec-ed 1.7M Alfa 159 Stationwagon on SGCARMART a few years back. That car was a beauty inside out.

Cool bro. I really envy all of you who own an Alfa. I love Alfas... but I can't afford one. Price's on the high side. Still hoping I can afford one day.

I still remember seeing a full spec-ed 1.7M Alfa 159 Stationwagon on SGCARMART a few years back. That car was a beauty inside out.

Alfas are cheaper than most Jap cars

• Praise 1

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info_financial.php?ID=460708

Toyota Corolla at balance 16 months depreciate at S$12,770 per year (asking price).

Alfa Romeo GT balance 16 months depreciate $ 5850 per year.

post-61679-0-50512900-1425458427_thumb.png

Drive Alfa saves $6919 per year ($9225 for 16 months) which is enough to top up the differences in maintenance, fuel, higher road tax & insurance (see above for worksheet).

• Praise 1

alamak you let the secret out [lipsrsealed]

I always go car-hunting with my friends and have to use such logic to physco them to buy better cars.

I cannot understand y so many folks can spend over $9k on a BB car.

It's good this way as the car lovers can buy better cars at lower cost due to the supply & demand.

if this appeared, I will already makan it :) 1.7M Alfa 159 Stationwagon

I was told....The 1st owner took extremely good care of the car... even covering up the car after parking.

Alfa dep is lower due to lower demand. But the cost of ownership is the errhemm......

(edited)

if this appeared, I will already makan it :) 1.7M Alfa 159 Stationwagon

I was told....The 1st owner took extremely good care of the car... even covering up the car after parking.

Alfa dep is lower due to lower demand. But the cost of ownership is the errhemm......

LOL makan? You also saw the car on sgcarmart before?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=255013&DL=1150

The beauty of all beauty. Be a petrol head. Drive an Alfa Manual [laugh]

Edited by Sunset73