Car accident at Muar, Johor.

Ender

Lost control and hit the divider. Sad end for the the year.

SINGAPORE - Two Singaporeans were killed and two others seriously injured on Monday night in a car crash across the border in Muar, Johor, after they lost control of their car on the North-South highway while headed toward Singapore.

According to Lianhe Zaobao, the Singaporeans - Lee Tink Kok, 54, and Leong Ngiok Lan, 77 - were both seated in the front and were killed on the spot.

The two other teenage girls - Lee Yan Yi, 18, and Lee Yan Xuan 16 -were extricated from the wreck and sent to Batu Pahat Hospital for treatment.

The four Singaporeans are believed to be a family on their way back to Singapore.

The cause of the accident, which took place at about 7pm last night, is still unknown, but the car had crashed into the road side divider and continued charging forward for close to 2km before finally hitting a tree and overturning.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/two-dead-two-seriously-injured-muar-car-crash-20141230#sthash.O380k2nW.dpuf

↡ Advertisement

Hit the divider and continued for 2km??

Without any factual basis whatsoever -

For that to happen I would be GUESSING that the driver suffered some sort of medical mishap - most likely a stroke or heart attack?

Something would need to be keeping the car moving for so far - and the only thing I can imagine is if the driver was somehow incapacitated but still pressing the accelerator

For that to happen I would be GUESSING that the driver suffered some sort of medical mishap - most likely a stroke or heart attack?

Something would need to be keeping the car moving for so far - and the only thing I can imagine is if the driver was somehow incapacitated but still pressing the accelerator

Highly possible, or went panicky, like the woman bus driver as the custom, who right after a minor accident, panick and rammed the gas pedal which sadly ran over a policeman. http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2676188-accident-at-jb-checkpoint/

Edited by Ender

BTW -

as an aside, the "wire dividers" in use for part of the NSE are thought to be highly dangerous for bikers - more dangerous than the steel barrier style.

And to the Superbikers I saw over the weekend at a rest area in full and comprehensive gear - love the bikes, love your safety, ride well and have fun!!

Yeah hard to imagine it can still travel so far despite the impact.

Perhaps brakes failed.

Perhaps brakes failed.

Possible I guess -

But IMHO two things against it

1. Total brake failure is extraordinarily rare

2. Even if no brakes at all - 2 km is still really far to coast.

Another fatal accident at N.S highway...

my colleague just returned from KL. Her car went into accident late at night as well... the car lost control and went spinning..

She suspect there its a man-made accident because the tow-truck came 5 min later.

Edited by ShepherdPie

my colleague just returned from KL. Her car went into accident late at night as well... the car lost control and went spinning..

She suspect there its a man-made accident because the tow-truck came 5 min later.

i saw two singapore cars stop by the side on sunday with a tow truck in front waiting, but the two drivers dun bother about the tow truck.

Supercharged

Then did your colleague accept help from that tow-truck?

Last Sat 27.12.2014 i was also involved in an accident with a Malaysian car somewhere before Malacca in the rain

Car slightly aqua plane when i apply brake

Lucky everyone were caught in the jam and moving real slow

I suspect the road is oily else it couldnt had happened

Both our car paint chip off with minor dents

I paid the Malaysian RM250 on the spot and we move on

About another 400m away, another cars also accident

But both cars are in quite bad condition with wind screen broke

Better drive with care in Malaysia lately

Along the way and back from KL, i witnessed at least 6 accidents

BTW -

as an aside, the "wire dividers" in use for part of the NSE are thought to be highly dangerous for bikers - more dangerous than the steel barrier style.

And to the Superbikers I saw over the weekend at a rest area in full and comprehensive gear - love the bikes, love your safety, ride well and have fun!!

Funny thing about a lot of the motorcyclists from Singapore is that when they ride up they'll be decked out in all their fancy and branded gear, but riding around locally they stick to their flip-flops and cheap open-faced helmets [hur] . A stark contrast to the big bikers up north who are more likely to gear up even during their daily commutes and will even get their leathers out for weekend fun rides up into the hills.

The wire dividers will basically slice a motorcyclist to bits, my leathers won't be of any use if I go into one of those. Concrete barriers are best.

• Praise 3

Funny thing about a lot of the motorcyclists from Singapore is that when they ride up they'll be decked out in all their fancy and branded gear, but riding around locally they stick to their flip-flops and cheap open-faced helmets [hur] . A stark contrast to the big bikers up north who are more likely to gear up even during their daily commutes and will even get their leathers out for weekend fun rides up into the hills.

The wire dividers will basically slice a motorcyclist to bits, my leathers won't be of any use if I go into one of those. Concrete barriers are best.

Exactly right.

Even at low speeds they do far more damage than a steel / concrete barrier

As to riding bikes locally - I am always amazed that people are willing to ride in flip flops and shorts.

Not that running shoes and jeans are exactly protective gear - but still...

And how the heck can you expect to properly use the foot controls in something as flimsy as flip-flops I can't imagine...

If it were up to me, it would be illegal to ride in such stupid footwear...dunno if that would stop people or not, but if police started issuing tickets, it might make people think twice.

• Praise 1

Exactly right.

Even at low speeds they do far more damage than a steel / concrete barrier

As to riding bikes locally - I am always amazed that people are willing to ride in flip flops and shorts.

Not that running shoes and jeans are exactly protective gear - but still...

And how the heck can you expect to properly use the foot controls in something as flimsy as flip-flops I can't imagine...

If it were up to me, it would be illegal to ride in such stupid footwear...dunno if that would stop people or not, but if police started issuing tickets, it might make people think twice.

full gear very hot you know [laugh][laugh]

Cruise control?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1