Transmission/Gear box mounting

Dark_flan

Often heard / saw discussion on engine mounting but no one really talk on this. Just to check what is the frequency to get this changed?

I have been driving for 200,000+ km without changing this but did not notice any erratic behaviour except some vibration during stopping @ traffic lights other than that car behave like new car shifting smoothly throughout and no jerking @ all. This is obvious especially in D gear.

Engine mounts checked still working well and in good condition.

Pls advise on this before I carry out this maintenance.

↡ Advertisement

my fren's altis oso 200+k km, engine mounting not so good, car vibrates more during idling at D. he put to neutral when he stops at red light.

Went to seek different opinion from different workshop and claimed that my mounts are not that good as I only changed partial while old one was never changed since brand new. Heard some rattling sound when I shift to D around the rear of my engine. Does that means the rear is gone? Also is it normal for the air box to vibrate that much? All of which happens when I shift to D.

thats the transmission mount on most of the car. the transmission mount is just underneath the airbox

Edited by Kippei

The truth is this bro;

If it ain't broke, don't change it.

If it does not bother you much, don't insist on it- some car can last more than 200K mileage ( most Japs car can last that long. )

Don't change it juz becoz Ah Seng and Beng do it. it isn't much fanfare.

U must be damn lucky to have a car that served you that long, it's worth the effort, speak to your car about it, not the mechanic. Your car hold truth to it.

• Praise 2

Seen one says it underneath the air box and seen my air box really vibrating a lot at times. Think it is gone most likely. Anyway I am changing later along with my mountings. Shall update if its the cause.

Seen one says it underneath the air box and seen my air box really vibrating a lot at times. Think it is gone most likely. Anyway I am changing later along with my mountings. Shall update if its the cause.

Most FWD cars have the trans coupled together with the engine as 1 whole block so there should not be any distinction between engine/transmission mounting.

Usually there are 3/4 mountings and ws always recommend to chage all together one.

If the airbox is vibrating so much most likely some part of the block is rubbing against it.

Update us after you changed.

(edited)

Just an update.

Problem resolved. Apparently the mounting is damaged resulting in the huge vibration of the air box and engine though not quite to the extent of vibration of when the car is going to stall alike.

Anyway now behaving like new car with silent and smooth engine / gear changes which makes it more preposition as I intending to renew my car longer since car prices are still so expensive.

Edited by Dark_flan
  • Praise 3

Just an update.

Problem resolved. Apparently the mounting is damaged resulting in the huge vibration of the air box and engine though not quite to the extent of vibration of when the car is going to stall alike.

Anyway now behaving like new car with silent and smooth engine / gear changes which makes it more preposition as I intending to renew my car longer since car prices are still so expensive.

good to do "preventive maintenance" before vibration severe n affects other parts like drive shafts n wheel bearings.

not to mention handling & comfort of ride

Hi Darkflan, your car is toyota? How much you paid in total for the engine mount inclusive of labour huh...

I had paid $330 all engine/gear box mountings inclusive of labor.

Yes it's a Toyota.

good to do "preventive maintenance" before vibration severe n affects other parts like drive shafts n wheel bearings.

not to mention handling & comfort of ride

True since I intend to renew this ride so its better to do it before anything happens after.

This ride never fails me for so many years since brand new so should last beyond the validity and still looks brand new outside and inside.

Yes it's a Toyota.

True since I intend to renew this ride so its better to do it before anything happens after.

This ride never fails me for so many years since brand new so should last beyond the validity and still looks brand new outside and inside.

bro, did you buy the replacement mounting from a stockist? or was everything provided by the workshop you went to? which workshop is that?

Yes it's a Toyota.

wow bro, the price is super competitive - can share? if not, pm also ok, TIA.

↡ Advertisement