MyCarForum Logo
Search
Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
725 replies to this topic | 3,005 praises

Poll: Columbarium near you home (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you stay or leave?

1. Stay (72 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Leave (36 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Columbarium issue sparks calls for flat refunds
PUBLISHED ON JAN 5, 2015 

Would-be residents convey request to HDB through MP at dialogue
ST_20150105_SBCOLUMBARIUM05_954924e.jpg
Would-be residents of Fernvale Lea met Sengkang West MP Lam Pin Min at a closed-door dialogue that lasted for three hours. The session was attended by 400 people. -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN

BY SAMANTHA BOH
Some upset would-be residents of Fernvale Lea have asked the Housing Board for a refund for their flats over the columbarium issue.

They conveyed their request to Dr Lam Pin Min, MP for Sengkang West, during a three-hour closed-door dialogue which was attended by 400 people.

In spite of assurances from him that there would not be a crematorium or funeral parlour services at the Chinese temple, a group gathered around a table where they could leave contact details for HDB to call them about a refund. It is unclear how many eventually did so.

Dr Lam, giving a quick rundown of the dialogue, said: "They felt uncomfortable that such a (columbarium) service would be provided there and have requested that HDB look at their request for a refund."

The URA and HDB said in a joint statement later in the evening that they are looking into the request.

The Straits Times understands that several of those who attended the dialogue felt that HDB should have been more upfront about the columbarium.

News of the columbarium, which is expected to be completed by next year, had surprised many residents when it was reported last week.

Dr Lam said that it was indicated in the Fernvale Lea brochure for the new flats.

"There is really nothing to hide," he added.

He also noted that it is not uncommon to have columbarium services at places of worship.

Three temples within Anchorvale - Puat Jit Buddhist Temple, Nanyang Thong Hong Siang Tng Temple and Chee Hwan Kog Temple - already have similar set-ups.

There will be 3,258 residential units in the vicinity of the temple, spread across Build-To-Order projects Fernvale Lea and Fernvale Rivergrove, and executive condominium Lush Acres.

To a number of them, the concern was how the resale value of their flats would be affected by all this. One of them was project manager Vicky Naidu, 33, who said that rejecting the flat "is a very tough decision".

"We have already waited for so many years to get a house, so if I reject this, I have got to wait another few years.

"It is not an easy decision to make overnight."

samboh.com.sg

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

Count-Bracula
  • Premium member
    Count-Bracula
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Feng shui should be good.
Tianmo and Knoobie praised this
Pokemon trainer BraculaTheFang is the name.

Catching Pokemon is my game.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

Toothiewabbit
  • Premium member
    Toothiewabbit
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

haiz....the living cannot live in peace....the dead cannot rest in peace....

Nicfoo, Picnic06-Biante15, Baal, Ktglfc, Sunny, Vhtfhwlego, PSP415 and 2 other members praised this

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Darryn
  • Premium member
    Darryn
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I wouldn't be worried about living next to a columbarium as such ...

there are two things that would worry me though

a) Smoke from the burning of offerings

b) Traffic during Qing Min etc etc - this would be the biggest concern - see what happens to Bishan during this period, it is Chaotic - how is this one going to be different

I also saw an allegation over the weekend that it is actually illegal to have a temple managed by a Pte Ltd - not sure if this is true or not? 

And also - how come an Australian company has got this tender - that one really seems -  [shakehead]

Baal and Ktglfc praised this
Behold the tortoise! He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out.
All that's required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

heard one interviewed resident said if the Columbarium is just next to your flat, how convenience can that be to just walk across the road and pay respect everyday. Better than travel so far and do it once or twice a year.

Ktglfc praised this

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

This dai jee really loo poon loo Tua
Now got simi $1 company formed 3 days before tender
Simi real columbarium, fake temple
Simi authority say is limited columborium, tender docs say is on the way to full crematory services
Ktglfc and RH1667 praised this

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

I wouldn't be worried about living next to a columbarium as such ...

there are two things that would worry me though

a) Smoke from the burning of offerings

b) Traffic during Qing Min etc etc - this would be the biggest concern - see what happens to Bishan during this period, it is Chaotic - how is this one going to be different

I also saw an allegation over the weekend that it is actually illegal to have a temple managed by a Pte Ltd - not sure if this is true or not? 

And also - how come an Australian company has got this tender - that one really seems -  [shakehead]

i think if they build a modern type to minimize the burning or creating smoke (which can see in some places), then it will not be a big issue.

how heavy is the traffic depends on the number of the 'resident' there   :D  

Opel17 and Tianmo praised this

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There are many columbariums around housing estate. Some are in churches and temples and no one ever make any noise about them, so why now?

I stay in sengkang, St Anne church has one. Grace Lodge there also one, with HDB flats directly across a road.  Every year chin min got alot of illegal car parked there, so residents should know of the columbarium, so no issue with them.

I have no issue with these, and in fact when I find the ambiance of these places very peaceful.

Edited by Ender, 05 January 2015 - 10:42 AM.

You have eaten 10 curry puffs, 4 cakes and a tao sar boa.
You have drunk 10 cokes, and a jug of sarsi and I don't know how.
All you do is waddle, when the others run.
Eat a little less, play a little more.
You will find that life is a lot more fun than it was before.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Darryn
  • Premium member
    Darryn
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There are many columbarium around housing estate. Some are in churches and temples and no one ever make any noise about them, so why now?

I stay in sengkang, St Anne church has one. Grace Lodge there also one, with HDB flats directly across a road.  Every year chin min got alot of illegal car parked there, so residents should know of the columbarium, so no issue with them

Think the issue is that those were already there when people buy...

this one was "secret" until later - when the planners knew all along ---

Know there is an allegation that there might be a "bbq" be built there as well...

Some people are superstitious ----

The one I am really waiting to see is Bindadari ---- really curious about how that one will really be received, very close to town but the history....I would be more worried about living there than next to a columbarium (traffic issues aside) 

Mustank and Kangadrool praised this

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

No need qingming also got a lot of traffic and illegal parking at major worship places weekends and special events.

Mustank and Tianmo praised this

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Know there is an allegation that there might be a "bbq" be built there as well...

The one I am really waiting to see is Bindadari ---- really curious about how that one will really be received, very close to town but the history....I would be more worried about living there than next to a columbarium (traffic issues aside) 

Was it secret, or buyer didn't read? 

Dr Lam said that it was indicated in the Fernvale Lea brochure for the new flats.

Bidadari, got Gurkhas running there. Very safe..

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Darryn
  • Premium member
    Darryn
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Was it secret, or buyer didn't read? 

Bidadari, got Gurkhas running there. Very safe..

I haven't seen the brochure --

But from what I understand, you had to dig pretty deep to find out --- so my vote is for "functionally secret" 

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Well you do know the history of Bishan ?

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I haven't seen the brochure --

But from what I understand, you had to dig pretty deep to find out --- so my vote is for "functionally secret" 

I also haven't read the brochure. Maybe print like this "columbarium" or Place of rest..

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Count-Bracula
  • Premium member
    Count-Bracula
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Does it has a burning facility or is it just for placement? How come foreign company taking charge of a Chinese temple, Aussie somemore?
Pokemon trainer BraculaTheFang is the name.

Catching Pokemon is my game.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Does it has a burning facility or is it just for placement? How come foreign company taking charge of a Chinese temple, Aussie somemore?

The article say no burning or funeral service. So likely just urn placement. 

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

Darryn
  • Premium member
    Darryn
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Well you do know the history of Bishan ?

Nope --- stories to share? 

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

No stories .. but this is the scenary I see in my childhood.

grave.jpg

Nope --- stories to share? 

Darryn, Count-Bracula, Mockngbrd, Solar, F355, Ktglfc, PSP415 and 1 other member praised this

Darryn
  • Premium member
    Darryn
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Seriously - how to have placement without somewhere to burn offerings? 

Isn't that pretty central to the role and function of a (Buddhist / Taoist) resting place? 

I guess you would assume that it will be a special "no smoke" furnace of some sort? 

Getzsfv
  • Getzsfv
    5th Gear
    Author Image

u angmo also superstitious ah...

Tianmo praised this

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: columbarium, hdb, sengkang, issue and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users