109 members have voted

1. 1. Will you stay or leave?

• Stay
    • Leave

Columbarium issue sparks calls for flat refunds
PUBLISHED ON JAN 5, 2015
Would-be residents convey request to HDB through MP at dialogue
ST_20150105_SBCOLUMBARIUM05_954924e.jpg
Would-be residents of Fernvale Lea met Sengkang West MP Lam Pin Min at a closed-door dialogue that lasted for three hours. The session was attended by 400 people. -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN
BY SAMANTHA BOH
Some upset would-be residents of Fernvale Lea have asked the Housing Board for a refund for their flats over the columbarium issue.
They conveyed their request to Dr Lam Pin Min, MP for Sengkang West, during a three-hour closed-door dialogue which was attended by 400 people.
In spite of assurances from him that there would not be a crematorium or funeral parlour services at the Chinese temple, a group gathered around a table where they could leave contact details for HDB to call them about a refund. It is unclear how many eventually did so.
Dr Lam, giving a quick rundown of the dialogue, said: "They felt uncomfortable that such a (columbarium) service would be provided there and have requested that HDB look at their request for a refund."
The URA and HDB said in a joint statement later in the evening that they are looking into the request.
The Straits Times understands that several of those who attended the dialogue felt that HDB should have been more upfront about the columbarium.
News of the columbarium, which is expected to be completed by next year, had surprised many residents when it was reported last week.
Dr Lam said that it was indicated in the Fernvale Lea brochure for the new flats.
"There is really nothing to hide," he added.
He also noted that it is not uncommon to have columbarium services at places of worship.
Three temples within Anchorvale - Puat Jit Buddhist Temple, Nanyang Thong Hong Siang Tng Temple and Chee Hwan Kog Temple - already have similar set-ups.
There will be 3,258 residential units in the vicinity of the temple, spread across Build-To-Order projects Fernvale Lea and Fernvale Rivergrove, and executive condominium Lush Acres.
To a number of them, the concern was how the resale value of their flats would be affected by all this. One of them was project manager Vicky Naidu, 33, who said that rejecting the flat "is a very tough decision".
"We have already waited for so many years to get a house, so if I reject this, I have got to wait another few years.
"It is not an easy decision to make overnight."

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I wouldn't be worried about living next to a columbarium as such ...

there are two things that would worry me though

a) Smoke from the burning of offerings

b) Traffic during Qing Min etc etc - this would be the biggest concern - see what happens to Bishan during this period, it is Chaotic - how is this one going to be different

I also saw an allegation over the weekend that it is actually illegal to have a temple managed by a Pte Ltd - not sure if this is true or not?

And also - how come an Australian company has got this tender - that one really seems - [shakehead]

• Praise 2

heard one interviewed resident said if the Columbarium is just next to your flat, how convenience can that be to just walk across the road and pay respect everyday. Better than travel so far and do it once or twice a year.

• Praise 1

This dai jee really loo poon loo Tua

Now got simi $1 company formed 3 days before tender

Simi real columbarium, fake temple

Simi authority say is limited columborium, tender docs say is on the way to full crematory services

• Praise 2

I wouldn't be worried about living next to a columbarium as such ...

there are two things that would worry me though

a) Smoke from the burning of offerings

b) Traffic during Qing Min etc etc - this would be the biggest concern - see what happens to Bishan during this period, it is Chaotic - how is this one going to be different

I also saw an allegation over the weekend that it is actually illegal to have a temple managed by a Pte Ltd - not sure if this is true or not?

And also - how come an Australian company has got this tender - that one really seems - [shakehead]

i think if they build a modern type to minimize the burning or creating smoke (which can see in some places), then it will not be a big issue.

how heavy is the traffic depends on the number of the 'resident' there :D

• Praise 2

There are many columbariums around housing estate. Some are in churches and temples and no one ever make any noise about them, so why now?

I stay in sengkang, St Anne church has one. Grace Lodge there also one, with HDB flats directly across a road. Every year chin min got alot of illegal car parked there, so residents should know of the columbarium, so no issue with them.

I have no issue with these, and in fact when I find the ambiance of these places very peaceful.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

There are many columbarium around housing estate. Some are in churches and temples and no one ever make any noise about them, so why now?

I stay in sengkang, St Anne church has one. Grace Lodge there also one, with HDB flats directly across a road. Every year chin min got alot of illegal car parked there, so residents should know of the columbarium, so no issue with them

Think the issue is that those were already there when people buy...

this one was "secret" until later - when the planners knew all along ---

Know there is an allegation that there might be a "bbq" be built there as well...

Some people are superstitious ----

The one I am really waiting to see is Bindadari ---- really curious about how that one will really be received, very close to town but the history....I would be more worried about living there than next to a columbarium (traffic issues aside)

• Praise 2

Know there is an allegation that there might be a "bbq" be built there as well...

The one I am really waiting to see is Bindadari ---- really curious about how that one will really be received, very close to town but the history....I would be more worried about living there than next to a columbarium (traffic issues aside)

Was it secret, or buyer didn't read?

Dr Lam said that it was indicated in the Fernvale Lea brochure for the new flats.

Bidadari, got Gurkhas running there. Very safe..

Turbocharged

Was it secret, or buyer didn't read?

Bidadari, got Gurkhas running there. Very safe..

I haven't seen the brochure --

But from what I understand, you had to dig pretty deep to find out --- so my vote is for "functionally secret"

I haven't seen the brochure --

But from what I understand, you had to dig pretty deep to find out --- so my vote is for "functionally secret"

I also haven't read the brochure. Maybe print like this "columbarium" or Place of rest..

Does it has a burning facility or is it just for placement? How come foreign company taking charge of a Chinese temple, Aussie somemore?

The article say no burning or funeral service. So likely just urn placement.

Turbocharged

Does it has a burning facility or is it just for placement? How come foreign company taking charge of a Chinese temple, Aussie somemore?

Seriously - how to have placement without somewhere to burn offerings?

Isn't that pretty central to the role and function of a (Buddhist / Taoist) resting place?

I guess you would assume that it will be a special "no smoke" furnace of some sort?

u angmo also superstitious ah...

• Praise 1

Seriously - how to have placement without somewhere to burn offerings?

Isn't that pretty central to the role and function of a (Buddhist / Taoist) resting place?

I guess you would assume that it will be a special "no smoke" furnace of some sort?

he was talking about burning of the bodies lah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1