How to get your lost mobile phone back

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

And so I came across a friend's post on Facebook this morning about how he managed to retrieve his mum's mobile phone from someone who took it (whether she misplaced it or what is not the main point, the main point is that he managed to get it back from the person who took it and I'm sure not many of us are that lucky). I personally had my own mobile phone, a iPhone 3GS stolen from me at Parkway Parade many years back. I made a police report, had CCTV footage to back me up but nothing was done. And oh, it was a job done by two guys from China. Ok back to the main topic.

I'm sharing it here for awareness as many of us know we can track our phone but have no idea what app to use or how to go about doing it and since he is unable to start a new thread as he hasn't clocked 25 posts, I'll do it for him.

Here is his encounter. @y2kjericho86 if you are able to reply, do share with us, or anyone knows of other apps that can help, please share with us too. [thumbsup]

"Yesterday was perhaps the most adventurous day for me and my parents. When my mom's phone went missing, me activating her GPS from my Sony Xperia Z Ultra to hunt down the thief.

Driving half of Singapore at lightning speeds to track the thief who was in the red light district and me watching the GPS, getting out of the car and with my mom we tracked the signal to a coffee shop with 10 tables at least with people eating or drinking.

I think I was pretty hungry at that point that if the chap made a run for it I would have hunted and pinned him to the floor like a defence line player in American football.

Finally, an old man gave up the phone and told my mom, he tossed the case and was acting pretty nonchalant about it with the "I have no idea where this phone appeared in my pocket look."

Funny thing was when I was asking people at the tables if they saw a phone or picked one up, some of the foreign workers thought I was Immigration and Customs and started showing me their IDs and employment passes and I said that I am not looking for your IDs and gestured a phone, then they understood.

End of the day, we got a phone back. Me Mom's happy!
Mission Accomplished ! Achievement unlocked!"

↡ Advertisement

What app?

Isn't it mostly built in these days for Android, Apple and even Nokia smart phones? You just need to make sure the function is activated BEFORE your phone goes missing.

If your phone is turned on (and connected to the internet), you will be able to track it via GPS and also be able to have it emit a loud ring which cannot be turned off via the volume function.

Worse comes to worse, there is also a wipe function that will wipe all your data away.

Turbocharged

but if the phone is turned off immediately, then i guess is GG.com liao???

Cannot turn off without unlocking - unless remove battery.

there are a bunch of "find my phone" apps on both google play and apple store...

Some can activate camera, others can send a message to the phone and emit loud beep.

• Praise 2

there are a bunch of "find my phone" apps on both google play and apple store...

Some can activate camera, others can send a message to the phone and emit loud beep.

iphone cannot take out battery :D:D

most phone's battery can be taken out easily unless its iphone or some other models.

Guess me out of touch with apps, time to play with it again [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

Cannot just take out the sim card regardless having the phone on/off?

Just remove the sim card and dump it. Can still track?

GPS doesn't need SIM card -

Also doesn't need DATA.

Also - the phone would need to be completely "wiped" to remove the app...

Even later on turn on, can still activate the app and trace.

• Praise 1

Cannot just take out the sim card regardless having the phone on/off?

Just remove the sim card and dump it. Can still track?

yah hor, cant be so smart until can track by phone serial numbers regardless of make???

• Praise 1

GPS doesn't need SIM card -

Also doesn't need DATA.

Also - the phone would need to be completely "wiped" to remove the app...

Even later on turn on, can still activate the app and trace.

Provided whoever took your phone is out in the open. It can't be tracked if in a building or underground or whatever that blocks the line of sight to the GPS satellite.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

yah hor, cant be so smart until can track by phone serial numbers regardless of make???

Tracks by the software on the phone.

If not wrong, I think that the phone also broadcasts IMEI when making a call?

Turbocharged

I just tried turning off my iPhone 5S without unlocking. It CAN be done. You guys got try bo??

Turbocharged

I just tried turning off my iPhone 5S without unlocking. It CAN be done. You guys got try bo??

My droid doesn't

↡ Advertisement