Hotpot Culture Suspended After Rat Found in Porridge Dish

Watwheels

One of the rats must have took MRT from Bukit Batok to Marina Square to have lunch at Hotpot Culture. Sebei gross sia. :wacko:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-is-buzzing/rats--customers-find--extra-ingredient--at-porridge-buffet---070503504.html

unnamed%20%281%29_3.jpg

[uPDATED 9 January 2015, 8:30 PM: NEA suspends Hotpot Culture Restaurant, investigating rat issue]

The National Environment Authority (NEA) has suspended Hotpot Culture Restaurant after a rat carcass was allegedly found in one of its dishes.

"The restaurant has been instructed to suspend its operations immediately while NEA conducts its investigations," said its spokesman in a media statement to Yahoo Singapore.

What was supposed to be a value-for-money porridge buffet for a group of colleagues turned into a stomach churning experience after a customer allegedly spotted a dead rat in one of the restaurant’s free-flow dishes.

Ms Caron Chan, who declined to reveal her occupation, was with four other colleagues at Hot Pot Culture’s porridge buffet at Marina Square when they made the grisly find.

According to her, a colleague had spotted what she thought was a rat’s tail in a vegetable dish. Chan then proceeded to scoop out the rest of the mystery meat, to discover to her disgust that it was a whole rat carcass.

She then approached a staff member.

“The staff member didn’t even react quickly, she handled something else first, then came to us and told another employee to remove it. She just said sorry and that they would serve a new batch,” said Chan.

“What about the other customers who already ate it? That was so gross. They should have quickly stopped operations.”

Completely turned off by their find, Chan and her colleagues left the restaurant without paying, but informed the table next to them, which had already eaten the dish.

“The lady at the table next to us told us that she was still charged by the restaurant. She has already lodged a complaint with the National Environment Agency,” said Chan, who posted photos of the rat dish on her Facebook account, which has since been shared widely.

When Yahoo Singapore called Hot Pot Culture, the manager on duty said she was unaware of the rat incident.

“As far as I know, I just heard that the dish wasn’t fresh and so we replaced it,” she said.

When pressed further for information from the management, she took down the contact of this reporter and said the owner would be in touch.

Another report from Stomp

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/this-urban-jungle/eeew-body-of-rat-found-in-dish-of-salted-vegetables-at-chinese-restaurant

The lady should have called police & NEA right away and not inform the staff working there. Stand there with her colleagues to stop ppl from eating anything. Call police is to make sure the staff do not take the dish away and their respond time may be faster dan NEA.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Nowadays food hygiene is bad. NEA must have focused too much on dengue fever and neglect the hygiene standard of restaurants and good stalls.

• Praise 3

Nothing to do with police la. NEA is the right party to take any action. Police cannot suspend the restaurant. Police cannot do anything actually.

• Praise 2

Read the article earlier. I wonder if anyone ate from there that day got sick :wacko: :wacko: barfing.gif

I suppose, if the rat was cooked along with the dish, sufficiently long enough, it would all be sterilized already. The rat is, after all, fresh meat added in [laugh]

In some countries, it is a deliberately added ingredient, or even the main delicacy in the dish - so, perfectly edible.

People would only get sick if the rat just plopped into the already cooked dish and drowned in there.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Nothing to do with police la. NEA is the right party to take any action. Police cannot suspend the restaurant. Police cannot do anything actually.

I think should call both. NEA ppl might be out for lunch. LoL...

Call police they will chop chop reach there. Food poisoning is also an emergency. Ppl can die from food poisoning.

The rats were chased away from Bukit Batok... and end up there [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

mrtrat.jpg

Rats now know how to take MRT. Must have gone from Bukit Batok to Marina Square for lunch. Closest train station is Promenade?

Edited by Watwheels

More and more pests around...

Hope the management malls can engage proper pest controllers to eliminate these pests and improve hygiene...

And hope garmen can penalise these malls and shops for failing to keep a proper hygiene environment ...

Pls, don't want to see our health and food environment deteriorating ..

• Praise 2

Really RATtles my nerves about food hygiene in SG food outlets.

NEA should take stiff action.

First time I come across a case of whole rat in food. Gross!

• Praise 8

I suppose, if the rat was cooked along with the dish, sufficiently long enough, it would all be sterilized already. The rat is, after all, fresh meat added in [laugh]

In some countries, it is a deliberately added ingredient, or even the main delicacy in the dish - so, perfectly edible.

People would only get sick if the rat just plopped into the already cooked dish and drowned in there.

i think its alright if its cut-up rat meat, but a whole rat with millions of parasites and bacteria insulated by fur... not enough heat to reach the gut, intestines, rectum, anus etc where bad stuff that causes anything from bubonic plague to tapeworm thrive which could just seep into the soup when it cools

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 4

As for any health concern, if the rat was in the pot before it was cook then should be safe, as the heat would have killed most parasites.

↡ Advertisement