Costa Victoria 4N Cruise Singapore - Phuket - Langkawi

Boringchap

My parents went for a cruise on the Costa Victoria out of Singapore. It was a 4N cruise, with ports of call in Phuket, Thailand and Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia.
My Dad passed me some of his photos and videos, so I am using them to do some reviews and videos. I have no first hand experience on this ship, so I would have to rely on my Dad's views. By way of background, my parents are avid cruisers too. They have sailed more times than us and they sailed with us on our recent Norwegian Jade cruise out of Rome to Greece and Turkey.
Overall, my parents didn't think much about this cruise. In particular, the food was very lacklustre, compared to what they were used to on Royal and more recently on NCL.

Taken on the ship.

33f40ph.jpg

Not sure what was happening here. Maybe the spa was doing a public show?
2hxnj40.jpg

In this video, you see the snippets of the Costa Victoria cruise ship, including her atrium and theatre.
Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

so wat is the price your parents have paid for this trip

Good question. They didn't tell me. I shall go ask them and get back to you.

One thing my Dad commented was that the ship had pretty good parties and nightlife. There was a Venetian Night and Venetian masks were left in the cabins for all passengers. Everybody put on their masks and started dancing. It was quite happening, as you will see in this video.

The food wasn't good at all. My Dad complained about it. He also heard any other passengers making similar comments. This photo of a rice dish at the main dining sums it up.
t7j1gp.jpg

The ports that the ship visited were ok. Only 2 ports on this 4N cruise. The first was Phuket, Thailand. Phuket is actually an island, with her own international airport. Famous for her beaches, seafood and nightlife. I think it is a favourite place to visit for many Caucasians. You will see in the video that most people on the beaches were not locals. Phuket was also hit by the 2004 Tsunami.
Phuket was a tender port. The ship employed local tenders, pretty big boats. The boats brought the passengers right up to Patong Beach, which I think is the most famous of Phuket beaches. The tender ride was about 20 minutes. Be aware that during peak seasons, 3-4 ships may called at Phuket. Then the tendering process becomes a bit chaotic due to the many ships in port.
Two videos of their experience in the port.
This second video is on para-sailing from Patong beach. I think it looked rather dangerous. I wouldn't try this.
The second port was Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia. They call this the Jewel of Kedah. Langkawi is also a touristy, resort-type island. This place was certainly not as busy as Phuket. The port of call was rather short, 7:30am to 12:30pm. The scenery was pretty nice though, because it is actually an archipelago of 104 islands in the Andaman sea.
  • Praise 2

Costa Cruises is the same parent company that was involved in the Costa Concordia disaster. I wonder if they have had to cut corners to survive the loss of an entire cruise ship.

Good question. They didn't tell me. I shall go ask them and get back to you.

One thing my Dad commented was that the ship had pretty good parties and nightlife. There was a Venetian Night and Venetian masks were left in the cabins for all passengers. Everybody put on their masks and started dancing. It was quite happening, as you will see in this video.

The food wasn't good at all. My Dad complained about it. He also heard any other passengers making similar comments. This photo of a rice dish at the main dining sums it up.
t7j1gp.jpg

The ports that the ship visited were ok. Only 2 ports on this 4N cruise. The first was Phuket, Thailand. Phuket is actually an island, with her own international airport. Famous for her beaches, seafood and nightlife. I think it is a favourite place to visit for many Caucasians. You will see in the video that most people on the beaches were not locals. Phuket was also hit by the 2004 Tsunami.
Phuket was a tender port. The ship employed local tenders, pretty big boats. The boats brought the passengers right up to Patong Beach, which I think is the most famous of Phuket beaches. The tender ride was about 20 minutes. Be aware that during peak seasons, 3-4 ships may called at Phuket. Then the tendering process becomes a bit chaotic due to the many ships in port.
Two videos of their experience in the port.
This second video is on para-sailing from Patong beach. I think it looked rather dangerous. I wouldn't try this.
The second port was Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia. They call this the Jewel of Kedah. Langkawi is also a touristy, resort-type island. This place was certainly not as busy as Phuket. The port of call was rather short, 7:30am to 12:30pm. The scenery was pretty nice though, because it is actually an archipelago of 104 islands in the Andaman sea.

the kind of free onboard not nice nevermind ma...should have other restaurant onboard which is not free but need to pay. When i was in star cruise i have tried the japanese restaurant by paying and it turn out notbad but pricey.

the kind of free onboard not nice nevermind ma...should have other restaurant onboard which is not free but need to pay. When i was in star cruise i have tried the japanese restaurant by paying and it turn out notbad but pricey.

Depends on the price you had to pay for the cruise. The complimentary food offered on most other cruise lines (including Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, Star Cruises) are all decent in quality.

Costa Cruises is the same parent company that was involved in the Costa Concordia disaster. I wonder if they have had to cut corners to survive the loss of an entire cruise ship.

Yes, the same cruise line.

Costa currently operates 14 cruise ships. Their parent company is Carnival cruise lines.

so wat is the price your parents have paid for this trip

SGD 600 for the cabin (including tax). Cabin was an inside cabin on Deck 9.

Gratuity was 46USD.

So total was SGD 600 + USD46 or about SGD 665.

Yeah if it is $665 for the cabin on a twinshare basis, its $333 per person for 5D4N meals, entertainment and lodging included.

Try doing the same stuff on dry land (dining out, nightlife, etc.) and you will probably spend a lot more.

SGD 600 for the cabin (including tax). Cabin was an inside cabin on Deck 9.

Gratuity was 46USD.

So total was SGD 600 + USD46 or about SGD 665.

So i guess you get what you pay for. Went on Mariner of the Seas in Dec 2013. Was great and really enjoyed the 5D/4N cruise. But the cost PER PAX was already more than the amount above.

Yeah if it is $665 for the cabin on a twinshare basis, its $333 per person for 5D4N meals, entertainment and lodging included.

Try doing the same stuff on dry land (dining out, nightlife, etc.) and you will probably spend a lot more.

Yes, you are correct.

So i guess you get what you pay for. Went on Mariner of the Seas in Dec 2013. Was great and really enjoyed the 5D/4N cruise. But the cost PER PAX was already more than the amount above.

Good point. I must share our experiences that Royal Caribbean's pricing has gone up very aggressively in recent times.

That's why we do not have any cruises booked at the moment.

How is the pool like ??

You really use pools on cruise ships??? or bodies sunbathing?? [grin]

Seriously, cruises are usually crowded especially near the pools with kids running around. Not very attractive places to be in unless you have kids. [sweatdrop]

You really use pools on cruise ships??? or bodies sunbathing?? [grin]

Seriously, cruises are usually crowded especially near the pools with kids running around. Not very attractive places to be in unless you have kids. [sweatdrop]

cruise pool, one kick u reach the other end lol

• Praise 1

Yes, you are correct.

Good point. I must share our experiences that Royal Caribbean's pricing has gone up very aggressively in recent times.

That's why we do not have any cruises booked at the moment.

I think the pricing is actually seasonal. I paid around $800+ per pax for Dec sailing (which i guess is peak period). But i saw the same rooms being offered for around $600/pax during other times of the year.

• Praise 1

I think the pricing is actually seasonal. I paid around $800+ per pax for Dec sailing (which i guess is peak period). But i saw the same rooms being offered for around $600/pax during other times of the year.

Yes, pricing is very seasonal. They can be very very high during peak and drop to the floor during off-peak.

cruise pool, one kick u reach the other end lol

When a xmm dips herself into the water in bikinis at the pool edge on the other end of the pool, and you put your head into the water at this end, you can see clearly every scars / hair on her skin without using an underwater binos!! [grin] [grin] This is how small the pools are. [sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

Yes, pricing is very seasonal. They can be very very high during peak and drop to the floor during off-peak.

Hopefully the chefs onboard dont use left over meat in the freezer from the peak season to cook during off-peak season [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement