• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic | 135 praises

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

If you have a flashpay credit card, beware.

It used NFC and can be read by rogue readers and apps, just by someone standing beside you.

Even mobile phone now has NFC which opens up another security concern.

Kangadrool and Mustank praised this

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

It used NFC and can be read by rogue readers and apps, just by someone standing beside you.

no wonder iphone didn't include NFC in their phone   [laugh]

1 Anonymous member praised this
骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Akan Datang... iPhone 7.

Staff69 praised this

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

packed the wallet with multiple cards/papers then not so easy to detect. I can't scan my ezlink in my wallet and have to take it out every time  [sweatdrop]

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Vega
  • Vega
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Is it possible to disable the nfc feature?

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

iPhone 6 and plus has NFC but only limited to Apple Pay so right now still very safe. [laugh] [laugh]

Staff69 praised this

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

Macrosszero
  • Macrosszero
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

What you need is an RFID-blocking sleeve or wallet for your cards.

Solar and Volvobrick praised this

The gene pool could use a bit of Clorox at times

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Alpha78
  • Premium member
    Alpha78
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Akan Datang... iPhone 7.

iPhone 6 already has NFC...

You can disable the NFC feature on the phone, but you cannot disable the card from responding to a NFC reader's read command.

If you pack a few cards side by side, I think the reader would be somewhat confused and cannot read all of them. Disclaimer: I have never tried this before.

Sure-fire way, buy a metallic card shield and keep your Visa Paywave, MasterCard PayPass etc inside the shield.

Staff69 praised this
Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Dankoo
  • Premium member
    Dankoo
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Of course can...if you not using it...then turn on when you need to use. Most people dont bother and left it on all the time...

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

RH1667
  • Premium member
    RH1667
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Meaning, wrap all the expensive wallet, bags with aluminium foil to block the signal from being read?  ha ha

Tianmo, Toothiewabbit and 2BDriver praised this

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

The danger is vastly overstated. NFC has limited range (usually unable to overcome wallet plus pant pocket "obstacle"), plus it gets confused by more than one card (which most people carry in their wallets).

The least credible part is that - after all that dire warning about super high tech hackers using this tech to rip you off by zombifying and trojaning your phone, then phishing for your own data and that of others through NFC and transmitting it silently to Russia (or wherever) - all he can recommend is "antivirus software"?? Get real. Most antivirus software on the PC can't even keep up with new PC viruses (which are often more prevalent, and therefore more cutting-edge), how can one expect phone antiviruses developers to be more proactive in preventing such a cutting-edge attack?

BTW, I *do* have AVG on my Android phone. All it does is give me spurious threat warnings when my bank sends me messages warning me of larger CC transactions. I have no confidence that it'll be able to thwart such a new-fangled threat.

Edited by Turboflat4, 12 January 2015 - 10:19 AM.

StefanK, Holdenutessv and Solar praised this
We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it; any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

What for ? The phone is the reader, it reads from your credit card. BTW, our smart chip passports are also NFC. You need, as other bros suggested, wallet or sleeve that blocks the reader.

S340LlPBGuqAPbj8AANV9_s5ZlE825.png

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:24 AM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Your avatar tricked me again.
I thought some ant on my phone then before I brush off the ant I realize it's you.
24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Your avatar tricked me again.
I thought some ant on my phone then before I brush off the ant I realize it's you.

Because of Kb27, this forum will always be buggy. :D
Vhtfhwlego praised this
We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it; any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:42 AM

Darryn
  • Premium member
    Darryn
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I remember a while back when the keyfobs started unlocking your car from a distance away there was a similar warning about people being able to intercept the information and steal your car at will, etc etc 

Until now, I don't think I have heard of cars being stolen this way. 

The danger is vastly overstated. NFC has limited range (usually unable to overcome wallet plus pant pocket "obstacle"), plus it gets confused by more than one card (which most people carry in their wallets).

The least credible part is that - after all that dire warning about super high tech hackers using this tech to rip you off by zombifying and trojaning your phone, then phishing for your own data and that of others through NFC and transmitting it silently to Russia (or wherever) - all he can recommend is "antivirus software"?? Get real. Most antivirus software on the PC can't even keep up with new PC viruses (which are often more prevalent, and therefore more cutting-edge), how can one expect phone antiviruses developers to be more proactive in preventing such a cutting-edge attack?

BTW, I *do* have AVG on my Android phone. All it does is give me spurious threat warnings when my bank sends me messages warning me of larger CC transactions. I have no confidence that it'll be able to thwart such a new-fangled threat.

Behold the tortoise! He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out.
All that's required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I remember a while back when the keyfobs started unlocking your car from a distance away there was a similar warning about people being able to intercept the information and steal your car at will, etc etc 

No, it's far more likely that the cowboys up North will come at you armed with parangs once you open the door from a distance. The low tech approach. :D
Opel17 praised this

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Too much hassle. It means the car thieves have to follow you to your car park, wait for you to transmit the signal, make a copy, then wait for the same car to come back or follow you to the next car park. Wait for you to walk away from your car, then unlock your car. It will have to be a very targeted crime. There are still other easier targets, usually random.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

packed the wallet with multiple cards/papers then not so easy to detect. I can't scan my ezlink in my wallet and have to take it out every time  [sweatdrop]

Sama sama... [grin]  [grin]

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There's a android app called Banking Card Reader.

If you run this app and hold your NFC phone near the card, you can pick up credit card number, expiry date.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Unltd
  • Unltd
    Supercharged
    Author Image

iPhone does have NFC, but it is very restrictive as Apple is generally very tight on security...

http://www.theverge....ed-to-apple-pay

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think your on drugs
"i'm not tailgating, i'm keeping up with the pace car"
When it's a question of money, everybody is of the same religion

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: flashpay, credit card, beware and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users