URA proposes rezoning of parts of Geylang

Mustank

Gelyang HUAT ah!!!!!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/singapore/ura-proposes-rezoning-of/1586882.html

URA proposes rezoning of parts of Geylang

SINGAPORE: The Urban Redevelopment Authority on Tuesday (Jan 13) announced it is proposing to rezone parts of Geylang, so as to better manage the area in question and "prevent spillover of disamenities to surrounding areas".

URA said the proposed area is bounded by Geylang Road, Lorong 22 Geylang, Guillemard Road and Lorong 4 Geylang, excluding the parcels of land zoned Road, the lots fronting Geylang Road and the sports field bounded by Talma Road and Lorong 12 Geylang. It plans to rezone this area from Residential/Institution to Commercial/Institution, according to its press release.

Explaining the decision, URA Chief Planner Hwang Yu-Ning said in the proposal that Geylang is a "rich and colourful neighbourhood" interspersed with associations, clans, places of worship, shops, offices and residential uses. It is also a traditional red-light area, she noted.

"The various entertainment and eating outlets in the area give rise to activities of a certain colour and vibrancy," Ms Hwang said. "With more new residential developments in the area, there has been an increasing spillover of disamenities and friction on the ground.

"In our assessment, the growth of new residential community in the area of Lorongs 4-22 Geylang needs to be re-balanced and moderated."

She added the new residential developments in the area, which have been approved will not be affected and can proceed to be built.

The URA said members of public can submit their feedback, objection or representation to the proposal in writing to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of National Development, 5 Maxwell Road, Singapore 069110, by Feb 11, 2015.

More information on this proposal can be found on the URA website.

↡ Advertisement

How is rezoning going to "prevent spillover of disamenities to surrounding areas" when there are already so many residential lots in the area?

Next time no more chicken house, will be chicken showroom or chicken office. Maybe chicken building, Chicken Shopping Centre.

Edited by Myxilplix

How is rezoning going to "prevent spillover of disamenities to surrounding areas" when there are already so many residential lots in the area?

Next time no more chicken house, will be chicken showroom or chicken office. Maybe chicken building, Chicken Shopping Centre.

Simi is disamenities?

• Praise 1

I saw a new condo along Geylang Road between Lor 18 and Lor 16 while DRIVING along.

I was like wat da fuk? Which proper household want to stay there? The environment there at night is terrible.

Probably become a place to house the FLs.

• Praise 1

Fcw75, on 13 Jan 2015 - 4:15 PM, said:

I saw a new condo along Geylang Road between Lor 18 and Lor 16 while DRIVING along.

I was like wat da fuk? Which proper household want to stay there? The environment there at night is terrible.

sure DRIVING? mai ke ke (jie shi is mian shi ) hahaha

commercial/institute may means more chicken coops or related

• Praise 1

Looks like Red light district is going to become smaller liao ...

Also good: reduces the bad image of geylang, as well as getting rid of the secret societies and pimps there.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

u type wrongly.

u mean u were STROLLING in those lorongs

"The various entertainment and eating outlets in the area give rise to activities of a certain colour and vibrancy," Ms Hwang said.

Note, what we have there are entertainment and eating outlets.

I also believe the use of the words "colour" and "vibrancy" is more than coincidental.

Note, what we have there are entertainment and eating outlets.

I also believe the use of the words "colour" and "vibrancy" is more than coincidental.

Govt people don't like to talk

Especially when it is black and white

So these kind sure check thousand time one

Haha, my toes are laughing.

Rezoning?

Rezone one lorong to another lorong?

Muayhahahahahahahah, please please use your head. The one on the neck, that is.

Shifting the action here and there isnt gonna do much. And if you uproot the whole of geylang, another district elsewhere would be impacted.

spillovers? Yes, it will always. Whadaya expect?

Geylang is good for what it is, accept it. Live with it. Anyway, why do i care? Demolish the whole lot! Wahahaha

• Praise 1

u type wrongly.

I typed wrongly indeed.

It should be I was driving myself INTO it.

• Praise 1

Simi is disamenities?

Sounds like the people there are underhappy with their situation, due to frequent ponding in Singapore, so, amenities become disamenities and can spill over liao, whatever the heck the above sentence means. (I have totally no idea, which qualifies me for dispolitics.)

=D

Cheers

Give credit to them for coming up with words like disamenities, bag of bodily waste, ponding, etc.

Not easy to be a govt scholar.

Looks like Red light district is going to become smaller liao ...

Also good: reduces the bad image of geylang, as well as getting rid of the secret societies and pimps there.

no need district liao... nowadays can use secret chat apps so can operate anywhere on demand lolz

u type wrongly.

and that street have the most patient drivers in Singapore gathered there. Nobody honk and all is fine with slow driving. [nod]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1