Windows 10 to be free for 1st year

Ender

Steady great to find another person who supports the Synlogy brand  [thumbsup]  

Initially the volume was on RAID 5 but as more data built up I kiasu and changed to a RAID 6, It was a real pain moving the existing data to accommodate the volume rebuilt. 

I got a large NAS (12 bay), the main volume is running at 19 TB made up of 3TB Hard Drives of various brands. Mostly Seagate NAS & WD Red plus one odd Hitachi. The current config is 1 volume (Raid 6), 2nd Volume to backup things from Vol 1 (no RAID), 1 drive as hot spare for the main volume.

Actually I started off similar to you with various NAS models and external drives around the house so one day I thought heck it went ahead with this mega unit to consolidate them all [laugh] At first my wife was  [furious]  now that she benefits its all  [lipsrsealed]

Synlogy is a superb company, I love their apps and integration with the NAS box. Anyway some things I use the NAS for are as follows, you probably use these functions too.

- Host photo's via DS Photo with all the family

- Stream Videos via DS Video to the Ipad/TV

- Stream music to my phone via DS Audio

- Download torrents remotely

- Auto photo sync for the phones in the house (did this after wife got her phone stolen

- Host important files for the family to access remotely if needed.

You're backup solution is quite comprehensive especially mirroring to an offsite, is your link to ur cuz NAS via VPN?

Rgds to Win 10 I heard some people raise concern about spyware etc, but I'm pretty used to Windows 7 anyway so I also don't see the need to upgrade. Msft will likely force us one day anyway by cutting off support and leaving us to possible security hacks. But I'll wait till that day comes then say 

Good setup. How much space do you get with RAID 6?

I recommend Synology as well. Have had 3 models... all 4-bays... a 406, 410+ and now a 415+

Fantastic company. They continue updating and supporting the hardware and software for a long time. Adding features, etc.

I read about that particular APC UPS before. But didn't bother cos my home doesn't have the power issue... the only times was when we had an electric kettle... now no more so no issues.

The new drives are Seagate 7200 rpm enterprise 6TB with 5 year warranty. I also mirror a smaller more important volume to my cousins Synology as an off-site backup.. and vice-versa.

I have two original licenses for Win 7 Pro and am being constantly pestered to upgrade to 10.

Just can't be bothered as one is a boot camp partition for games and other is a parallel VM for my small business suite. And since that shitty suite won't work beyond 7... I have no incentive to upgrade to 10.

I've heard it's pretty good though.

↡ Advertisement

Good point, the APC UPS I got has a power chute which I use to run self test to ensure its working as expected thought admittedly I don't physically check the batteries. I just notice the software does recommend changing of the packs every 3 years I will likely adhere to that to be safe.

You seem to know your stuff pretty well, is your job IT/Electrical related?

Btw why keep the chassis? For future potential use?

Lifespan of UPS batteries are subjective. Very hard to say.

I've seen those industrial grade UPS (30 KVa types) that where the batteries look like car batteries and laid out in multiple rows on a rack.

The batteries start failing after crossing the 3 year mark.

There are also instances of UPS catching fire, and the culprit is usually the battery.

I used to have the APC UPS at home, now I've shut them down and discarded the battery, keeping only the chassis.

The battery is also a fire hazard to store them, even when not in use.

Good point, the APC UPS I got has a power chute which I use to run self test to ensure its working as expected thought admittedly I don't physically check the batteries. I just notice the software does recommend changing of the packs every 3 years I will likely adhere to that to be safe.

You seem to know your stuff pretty well, is your job IT/Electrical related?

Btw why keep the chassis? For future potential use?

Yup, I'm in the IT line and have seen a fair share of UPS catching fire over the years.

For those 2U UPS used in data centers, some tell tale signs of trouble are rust forming on the metal chassis, which is likely the battery is leaking. Or if the metal chassis start to budge, chances are the battery is bloated and pushing against the chassis cover.

I'm keeping the chassis as spare, though unlikely I'll use it after seeing these incidents.

I noticed that when I removed the UPS, my power consumption reduced quite significantly.

Thanks for the tip mate  [thumbsup]

Yup, I'm in the IT line and have seen a fair share of UPS catching fire over the years.

For those 2U UPS used in data centers, some tell tale signs of trouble are rust forming on the metal chassis, which is likely the battery is leaking. Or if the metal chassis start to budge, chances are the battery is bloated and pushing against the chassis cover.

I'm keeping the chassis as spare, though unlikely I'll use it after seeing these incidents.

I noticed that when I removed the UPS, my power consumption reduced quite significantly.

Yes, but for home based UPS like APC/Prolink you see at Sim Lim, not many people know how to do it, from getting the specs of the battery to disconnecting it.

UPS are high power devices, accidental touch or wrong wiring will get an electric shock.

These UPS are selling for $70-100, makes more sense to replace entire unit than changing the batteries.

I foresee many people do not know about the battery lifespan and will keep it running till the battery is bloated and catches fire.

Home base UPS are unlike those 2U enterprise UPS where the batteries are modular and can be replaced easily without dismantling.

I got a couple of "home-based" APC UPS with dead batteries.

Yeah, i agree you need some knowledge and skill to open up the box, disconnect and replaced the batteries.

For those who dunno, either they learn or pay someone else to do it.

It's not that much different for someone who wants to build a desktop.

Either learn to diy or pay.

I backup to my cousins DS415+ using Cloud Station. Used to use VPN and have a scheduled rsync profile running... 

Now thinking of taking the backup off his Synology and use OneDrive or Google Drive for redundancy... paying for both these services so might as well use. Have to read about this Cloud Sync feature now...

I got a couple of "home-based" APC UPS with dead batteries.

Yeah, i agree you need some knowledge and skill to open up the box, disconnect and replaced the batteries.

For those who dunno, either they learn or pay someone else to do it.

It's not that much different for someone who wants to build a desktop.

Either learn to diy or pay.

:grin:  :grin: :grin:  

• Praise 3

Twincharged

strange that after so many months of so called free updates, the windows preview is ended. Had to do many rounds of update like 2 hours worth of reboot and configuration.

anyone here knows what I should be worried about ?

was running on win 7. so its sort of hobson choice

wasted that TS lives in Singapore where consumer rights are a myth......

He could have been USD10K richer by now.... :D

• Praise 1

Yeah, after going through 2 APS UPS, decided to give up on UPS... too much trouble to maintain.

Heat and power consumption is one of the main concern. My IT cabinet runs cooler without the UPS.

Now just use a surge protected power extension slab instead. Runs cooler and power consumption is much more reasonable.

I would stick strictly to Mac OS for home use. Windows is too complicated and time-consuming for home use. There're simply too much "maintenance" requirements and this bog down most home consumers. To run MS, you need pool of IT professionals.

That's why when I suggested my IT personnel to switch to iMac, he quickly told me he needs his rice bowl.  [laugh]

Yeah, after going through 2 APS UPS, decided to give up on UPS... too much trouble to maintain.

Heat and power consumption is one of the main concern. My IT cabinet runs cooler without the UPS.

Now just use a surge protected power extension slab instead. Runs cooler and power consumption is much more reasonable.

After removing my UPS, I've redesigned my rack to have it's own independent circuit breaker.

So when any household devices trips, at least the devices in my rack stays on, and vice versa.

Get a good surge protector. It'll be useful. I'm using the one from Belkin.

yeah I am using Belkin too, using this model...protect my digital phone line also but not sure how  effective LOL

372.jpg

After removing my UPS, I've redesigned my rack to have it's own independent circuit breaker.

So when any household devices trips, at least the devices in my rack stays on, and vice versa.

Get a good surge protector. It'll be useful. I'm using the one from Belkin.

yeah I am using Belkin too, using this model...protect my digital phone line also but not sure how  effective LOL

372.jpg

For digital line, don't think it is useful, especially if it comes via the VePON.

Fiber can't conduct electricity and if your VePON is plugged to the surge protector, it would have taken care of it for localised strike.

The phone ports on the surge protector is more for the old analog Singtel lines.

• Praise 1

OIC! Thanks! Learn another thing today!

Will unplug it the next time I meddle with my it cabinet :D

For digital line, don't think it is useful, especially if it comes via the VePON.

Fiber can't conduct electricity and if your VePON is plugged to the surge protector, it would have taken care of it for localised strike.

The phone ports on the surge protector is more for the old analog Singtel lines.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

wasted that TS lives in Singapore where consumer rights are a myth......

He could have been USD10K richer by now.... :D

its not a myth, its a classification - consumer wrongs

↡ Advertisement