Windows 10 to be free for 1st year

Ender

Incidentally, I read about rumours that the next iteration of Intel processors ie Kaby Lake might not support Win 7. Sounds like a ploy to force you to Win 10 for good.

So maybe people sitting on the fence should just get Skylake or just wait till Oct. AMD's Zen architecture (and it's first incarnation, Summit Ridge) has been reported to boost IPC performance by close to 50% from the last iteration of the ill fated Bulldozer architecture (Bristol Ridge).

To give a sense of perspective, Intel's Sandy Bridge was highly anticipated and lauded because it had a gain of roughly 20% in IPC performance from its predecessor.

Tldr: Emergence of Zen might force Intel to slash pricing of Skylake, provided the performance gains of the former is not PR BS.

↡ Advertisement

I have two licenses for Windows 7 Pro (one, which I bought for Bootcamp purposes for my iMac and second, to use in a virtual machine in my Macbook Pro).

I didn't bother with the free upgrade to Windows 10... though in hindsight... I should have at least updated the Bootcamp partition. Anyway, there's been some good innovation from MS in the OS and also in their hardware... missteps in their mobile/phone business aside.

The new hardwares that they announced yesterday in particular, is very very nice. Good to see the swagger from MS.

https://youtu.be/kpmTSQyET2A

I only want their Windows Phone. LOL.

Aside from the big flop during launch of W10M, it's very stable build now. And here, they decide to abandon the ship!!!

Twincharged
(edited)

​Whoever is the person who come out with the idea of making windows 10s in new micorsoft surface laptop opt to be shoot on the foot. This person should not be at the top management at all as it will 100% backfire on micorsoft and make people more piss off and not buy micorsoft laptop again. 

​Looks like Microsoft still did not learnt their lesson on the windows 8 failure. Previously when windows 8 was launched, they keep insist that it will be good and people will get used to where the public perception and market share says otherwise. 

​Why Microsoft still hire or promote these people to upper management who are just not intelligent enough to understand this basic concept. 

​This is one that Other companies should not learn from Microsoft, Never to force people to do things that they do not like to do. If product is good, it is good, if it is bad, it is just bad, no point force people to use as it will make it worst. Edited by Yewheng

(edited)

It's Windows RT redefined. :D

I agree is dumb! The ulterior motive is to milk 30% takings from developers. There's nothing wrong with collecting more $$$ :XD:

You say no good? I am actually thinking of hooting the Lumia 950 again after less than 1 year stink with Driod. :D

But computer, I only use MacOS. [:p]

Edited by Kangadrool

Twincharged
(edited)

I agree is dumb! The ulterior motive is to milk 30% takings from developers. There's nothing wrong with collecting more $$$ :XD:

You say no good? I am actually thinking of hooting the Lumia 950 again after less than 1 year stink with Driod. :D

If they make it clear from the advertising that Windows 10s is very restrictive and can only run on Windows Store application and give people choice right from the start, if want windows 10 pro have to top up 50bucks. People will know right from the start at the beginning whether to want to pay additional 50 or not at the point of purchase. So it is people choice... And will not blame Microsoft..

Not where the marketing make it seems like the windows 10s is so good and did not specially mention on the downside. Then when people who is not tech savvy enough bought the windows 10s version laptop and then realize later it is so restrictive and need to pay 50 bucks to activate Windows 10pro then can use all the normal function will make people feel that are sort of cheated.. This is not a good marketing strategy and 100% will backfire..

Edited by Yewheng

(edited)

You can upgrade for free to Windows Pro within the first year (may be subject to certain T&Cs - not sure if it's for educational purchase only or for all). If this applies to all W10S and not restricted to Surface Laptop, then I say, it's very worth it 'cos W10 Pro is definitely more ex than Windows Home.

My guess is, 90% will upgrade to Pro upon getting the machine.

But Surface Laptop is a overpriced piece of glamourised laptop IMO.

I would rather spend that $$$ on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon or T-series laptop or buy an Apple laptop and boot camp or use an emulator (if touch screen is not important to you).

If they make it clear from the advertising that Windows 10s is very restrictive and can only run on Windows Store application and give people choice right from the start, if want windows 10 pro have to top up 50bucks. People will know right from the start at the beginning whether to want to pay additional 50 or not at the point of purchase. So it is people choice... And will not blame Microsoft..

Not where the marketing make it seems like the windows 10s is so good and did not specially mention on the downside. Then when people who is not tech savvy enough bought the windows 10s version laptop and then realize later it is so restrictive and need to pay 50 bucks to activate Windows 10pro then can use all the normal function will make people feel that are sort of cheated.. This is not a good marketing strategy and 100% will backfire..

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

After all the bad press about Windows 8, I found that I was fine with it, especially after Windows 8.1 allows booting to desktop directly.

Even now, I'm thinking if I should go back to Windows 8.1 (but probably not). I like to leave my notebook on 24/7 with some apps running and when I came back, what happened? Windows 10 has rebooted to install updates.

Windows 10 S is different from RT. It can run x86 apps. That is the missing link in RT.

I never see it as a general-purpose device. Just treat it like a Android or iOS device.

(edited)

With W10S, I would reckon that those who stay and stick to Windows Store applications will experience long term stability as you will be spared from those rogue applications which tend to slow down and cripple the OS over time.

As a long time Windows Phone/Mobile user, I never have to shut down or reboot as frequently as Android phones. It also does not slow down despite frequent OS upgrades which sometimes even cripple iOS.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

After all the bad press about Windows 8, I found that I was fine with it, especially after Windows 8.1 allows booting to desktop directly.

Even now, I'm thinking if I should go back to Windows 8.1 (but probably not). I like to leave my notebook on 24/7 with some apps running and when I came back, what happened? Windows 10 has rebooted to install updates.

Windows 10 S is different from RT. It can run x86 apps. That is the missing link in RT.

I never see it as a general-purpose device. Just treat it like a Android or iOS device.

Probably at that time Microsoft thought that people will adjust and get used to Windows 8, which some did but many not. The key take away is that to make product that suits people and not make product that need people to suits the product maker.

I think even big companies make this big mistake where they may think that their product or services is wonderful and create it that need customers to suit them. This is a big no no.. It should be the other way round.. Create a product or service that suit customers..

Edited by Yewheng

Turbocharged

I feel Win 10S is like RT in the sense that you could only install software from the Windows Store and can't side load them.

10S is a bit different though. For one... it runs x86/x64 software... unlike RT which couldn't... Granted you can't run the software you've already bought over the years and are forced to buy them again through the Store... if they're even available.

And two, the apps themselves are run in a virtual container so hacking one... shouldn't in theory expose the other softwares as well... kinda like the smartphone OSs' like iOS/Android.

The point of 10S was to make a student edition to compete with the Google Chromebooks which is eating the education market from both MS and Apple. 

Does having a locked down 10S version help with that? Only if they can actually entice the developers to populate their Windows Store with decent apps. And that only comes if there is a big enough installed base.

Rather than just announcing Windows 10S... MS should have also announced 200-300$ laptops for the education market. Right now... it's difficult to compete with the Chromebooks just by them announcing a striped down OS alone.

Supersonic

I thought they did announce that some cheap laptops would be coming out?

I go install Linux

Just buy a copy of windows for 10 dollars la.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I didn't hear about the cheap laptops before. But you're spot on. They've roped in plenty of OEMs with entry level machines at US$189/-... includes Office365 as well.

Pretty decent deal if you ask me. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/02/windows-10-s-laptops-will-start-at-189-and-ship-this-summer/

(edited)

Cheap?

USD999 for a base  Surface laptop running on paika OS. Is that cheap IDK?

Maybe 3rd party vendors like Asus, Lenovo, Dell.... But then, I think they will just copycat and benchmark price at 80% of USD999. [laugh]

If I am going Windows, my choice would be buying a business grade Lenovo laptop with proper Windows or if Mac, a MacBook Air with approx USD1K budget.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement