Windows 10 to be free for 1st year

Ender

OS is very entrenched. If you have superior OS, it does not mean people will adopt it; just like what we have seen in the phone OS.

For productivity suites, you can get alternatives and some are FOC like OpenOffice (think gov offices are using this) or LibreOffice.

SOmebody better come out quickly with a new OS. Win OS is going the way of Office; subscription base; every year have to pay and pay.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Windows PC/laptop will lag severely unlike Mac machines which you can still use for > 5 years and it still function beautifully.

My co. SOP is max 3 years use; I think senior management get new machine every year. LOL...

Even then, 2 years, I can't stand the sh1ts and always hope it will konk off.

I think its just an excuse to change to new computer la. Lol. I am still using the same computer that I got 7 years ago. Still no lag. Use it everyday for watching youtube on one screen while playing games on the other screen.

I found the following in the meeja.

'Microsoft will offer the upgrade to Windows 10 for free to users on Windows 8.1, the most recent version, and offer the same to Windows 7 users for the first year.'

To me this means the upgrade to Win 10 will be free and last as long as you want.

Windows PC/laptop will lag severely unlike Mac machines which you can still use for > 5 years and it still function beautifully.

My co. SOP is max 3 years use; I think senior management get new machine every year. LOL...

Even then, 2 years, I can't stand the sh1ts and always hope it will konk off.

I don't understand this.

A PC/laptop doesn't slow down over time unless there is some software problems. Just reformat your computer and it should function as if it were brand new. If you want extra speed and you don't game, just upgrade your hard drive to an ssd.

A PC/laptop doesn't slow down over time unless there is some software problems. Just reformat your computer and it should function as if it were brand new. If you want extra speed and you don't game, just upgrade your hard drive to an ssd.

Windows allows the following without a full reformat.

''Refresh: Windows 8's 'Refresh your PC without affecting your files' feature returns system files to their original condition while leaving the users' accounts, data, passwords, and personal files largely untouched. But there are limitations. For example, Refresh removes any non-native Windows 8 (typically, desktop) apps that you've installed. For full information, see the Aug. 15, 2013, Top Story,

Reset: If a refresh doesn't work. Win8's 'Remove everything and reinstall' option wipes out your existing setup and rolls Windows back to its initial, out-of-the-box state. For details on this process, see the Sept. 12, 2013, Top Story, "A clean-slate reinstall for Windows 8."

This is the same for Windows 7 and I think Win Vista..

Edited by Neutrino

Pirated win 7 also get free l upgrade to legitimate win10.. But they mention they are targeting China, so don't know about us.

Microsoft tackles China piracy with free upgrade to Windows 10
BY BILL RIGBY AND PAUL CARSTEN

SEATTLE/BEIJING, March 17 Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:30pm EDT

(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp is making its biggest push into the heavily pirated Chinese consumer computing market this summer by offering free upgrades to Windows 10 to all Windows users, regardless of whether they are running genuine copies of the software.

The move is an unprecedented attempt by Microsoft to get legitimate versions of its software onto machines of the hundreds of millions of Windows users in China. Recent studies show that three-quarters of all PC software is not properly licensed there.

Terry Myerson, who runs Microsoft's operating systems unit, announced the plan at the WinHEC technology conference in Shenzhen, China.

"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," he said in a telephone interview with Reuters. The plan is to "re-engage" with the hundreds of millions of users of Windows in China, he said, without elaboration.

Myerson said Windows 10 would be released globally sometime "this summer". That is the first time Microsoft has put a time frame on the release, although it has been expected in autumn, based on Microsoft's release history.

Microsoft said in January it would offer free upgrades to Windows 10 for users of Windows 7 or later in an attempt to hold onto users and make up for lost revenue by selling services such as Office over the Internet.

Microsoft is working with Lenovo Group Ltd, the world's biggest PC maker, to help roll out Windows 10 in China to current Windows users, Myerson said.

It also is offering Windows 10 through security company Qihoo 360 Technology Co and Tencent Holdings Ltd , China's biggest social networking company, which will build a Windows 10 app that will work on smartphones and PCs for its popular QQ gaming and messaging service. QQ has more than 800 million users.

Lenovo said in a statement that it will make phones running Windows software, available through China Mobile, sometime later this year.

Microsoft also said it is working with Chinese handset maker Xiaomi Technology Co Ltd - which generally uses a form of Google Inc's Android on its devices - to offer some customers a test version of Windows 10 on their smartphones." (Reporting by Bill Rigby; Editing byKen Wills)

• Praise 3

Windows is a messy thing... having owned 4 Windows phones todate. [bigcry]

While it's surprisingly reliable (stable), it's horribly messy...

For examples...

1. Windows Phone store.... try searching for an app or better still a known app that existed... and it will yield very weird and different results on different models on same country variant, i.e. Singapore.

2. 3rd part app works differently on different models of Windows phones. Example: Opera mini beta will work very fast and snappy on low end devices like 535, but lag horribly on high end devices like 1520. [:(]

3. The organisation in Settings is terrible. [dead]

These are just some of the horrors.

Hopefully, 10 brings them to an end.

Turbocharged

If I installed windows 10 on a old notebook , will the wifi and other existing device drivers work ? If yes then maybe I try.

Twincharged

If I installed windows 10 on a old notebook , will the wifi and other existing device drivers work ? If yes then maybe I try.

If your notebook has windows 8 then the same drivers should work. I think the drivers for windows 8 and 10 is the same.

7 different edition of Windows 10 being announced.... http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-meet-your-windows-10-editions

who has already tried this os via windows insider program?

Tried already. Its fast. Uses less resources than windows 8 so good for low power machines. But I don't like the look of the icons. The spartan browser is good. I think its called microsoft edge now. Can also use Cortana with windows 10.

Turbocharged

I hope that windows 10 is good cos windows 8 is lousy. I don't like the tiles thing and touching screen on pc is tiring.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

7 different edition of Windows 10 being announced.... http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-meet-your-windows-10-editions

who has already tried this os via windows insider program?

yup been running windows 10 for a while now. having a few minor issues with the updating (running build 9926)

so far so good, but sometimes still get a few issues (once or twice cant recover and need to force a reboot)

app compatibility, also having some issues with legacy programs ><

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

SOmebody better come out quickly with a new OS. Win OS is going the way of Office; subscription base; every year have to pay and pay.

Depend on how much they charge. It's actually a good deal if u consider that in the past u pay nearly 300 for a home version. Now they charge u 10% of the cost every year and yet u got the latest os. over span of 10 years u actually only pay for that one home version.

Of course if u are pirated kind of guys then u will kpkb.

Twincharged

Depend on how much they charge. It's actually a good deal if u consider that in the past u pay nearly 300 for a home version. Now they charge u 10% of the cost every year and yet u got the latest os. over span of 10 years u actually only pay for that one home version.

Of course if u are pirated kind of guys then u will kpkb.

For home use nowadays those that want free can just go for linux or other open source os. Nowadays the support for these open source OS also very good already.

For home use nowadays those that want free can just go for linux or other open source os. Nowadays the support for these open source OS also very good already.

if now my pc got window 8.1, i upgrade to window 10, i know is free

but every year need to pay money or not

need to pay, i no upgrade

Supersonic

Has anyone given a conclusive ans on what "free for the 1st year" means?

After 1 year, they force me to pay? So in effect, this is a 1 year free trial?

Turbocharged

When u are your home it go to guy. Very soon u install back win os for them Liao.

↡ Advertisement