Windows 10 to be free for 1st year

Ender

Twincharged

Has anyone given a conclusive ans on what "free for the 1st year" means?

After 1 year, they force me to pay? So in effect, this is a 1 year free trial?

No. Its free to use until you change computer/OS. The free for 1 year means you got 1 year to upgrade for free. After that need to pay to upgrade.

↡ Advertisement

Has anyone given a conclusive ans on what "free for the 1st year" means?

After 1 year, they force me to pay? So in effect, this is a 1 year free trial?

tiagong it goes like this

if your computer is bought less than 1 year ago, the upprade is free

as of now SG microsoft has no idea whether win10 users will be charged an annual subscription

in any case, if got charge subscription, can revert to old windows os

Turbocharged

as of now SG microsoft has no idea whether win10 users will be charged an annual subscription

What I read so far is they might have 2 type of license. One is more expensive charge one time of the old. Another one is yearly subscription.

What I read so far is they might have 2 type of license. One is more expensive charge one time of the old. Another one is yearly subscription.

whaty i understand is SG office havent receive memo from HQ on how to charge

but the system will prompt you during the rollout date

Turbocharged

I been hogging tech journal website on news for last 1/2 a year. The common knowledge now is Ms still haven't decide how to charge also.

Turbocharged

Actually anyone who has children studying in tertiary institute here, can download Windows 10 for free, with key. In fact, any MS software for that matter.

Turbocharged

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3426/tip-understand-the-free-upgrade-to-windows-10

If you don't want to read the full article then

“We are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch,” a Microsoft statement issued today notes. “Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.”

Hypersonic

yup been running windows 10 for a while now. having a few minor issues with the updating (running build 9926)

so far so good, but sometimes still get a few issues (once or twice cant recover and need to force a reboot)

app compatibility, also having some issues with legacy programs ><

You are brave. I used to always update to the latest software and hardware when I was younger but no longer now. My PC is way too important now as I need it for work [sleeping]

Turbocharged

You are brave. I used to always update to the latest software and hardware when I was younger but no longer now. My PC is way too important now as I need it for work [sleeping]

most of my stuff is in the cloud. i got no qualms to reformat machines and just resync all the files again. only major loss will be my steam games, but i can leave that overnight to download also.

my pictures, heck even my itunes playlist is pulled from dropbox. so no worries lo. i love to play with beta software lol.

Turbocharged

He is rich not brave. If I rich I also make sure everything new.😁😁😁

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

He is rich not brave. If I rich I also make sure everything new.😁😁😁

ah where got rich?? im using a 3 year old computer le. pengz!

nothing to do with rich or poor le bro. i just love all things tech.

Hypersonic

most of my stuff is in the cloud. i got no qualms to reformat machines and just resync all the files again. only major loss will be my steam games, but i can leave that overnight to download also.

my pictures, heck even my itunes playlist is pulled from dropbox. so no worries lo. i love to play with beta software lol.

That's the thing. To reformat and reinstall everything. Will take hours [sleeping] [sleeping] [sleeping] I cannot be without my PC for a few hours. :ph34r:

Turbocharged

Actually Windows 8, 10, the tiles do you all use it ? Or do you revert back to the windows 7-like desktop with start button ? If not using the tiles, then this new windows is useless right ? it may be useful for mobile phone but for pc, is touch screen really useful, as in more productive or intuitive ?

Turbocharged

That's the thing. To reformat and reinstall everything. Will take hours [sleeping] [sleeping] [sleeping] I cannot be without my PC for a few hours. :ph34r:

i have a mac mini side by side. so i switch to that lo. lol.

now waiting for another cheap sale, buy a 500gb ssd and then put gold ver of windows 10 when its out in july.

Actually Windows 8, 10, the tiles do you all use it ? Or do you revert back to the windows 7-like desktop with start button ? If not using the tiles, then this new windows is useless right ? it may be useful for mobile phone but for pc, is touch screen really useful, as in more productive or intuitive ?

frankly. never used the live tiles even once.

windows 10 is basically start button + live tiles from the offset. i find the search function very laggy though.

Twincharged

How come take so long? Unless alot of games to reinstall. With the newer OSes, even with normal HDD also can install very quickly. If use SSD and flashdrive to install, the whole windows installation takes minutes only. After that just use Ninite to install the rest of the common applications.

What I heard when I was at a microsoft event last week was that they won't charge subscription for windows 10. Only after windows 10 then it is unknown. Currently only the office 365 is subscription based.

No need to be bought less than 1 year ago. So long as you have windows 7 or 8 can upgrade for free within that one year. And windows 10 will not be subscription based even after that 1 year.

Hypersonic

How come take so long? Unless alot of games to reinstall. With the newer OSes, even with normal HDD also can install very quickly. If use SSD and flashdrive to install, the whole windows installation takes minutes only. After that just use Ninite to install the rest of the common applications.

Because my PC is dual boot. Windows alone got over 100 applications :wacko:

• Praise 1