New 2015 Toyota Alphard and Vellfire

SeriousGuy

Anybody has good engine oil to recommend? I'm going for my 1st servicing and the oil is not included.

Since I have to pay, might as well I bring along my own oil. Also, how many litres for 1 change?

Do not be discouraged by the absence of response to your query. By now you should have realized that owners of this ride generally are not too bothered about doing things the DIY way. Generally if by spending money can solve, then that would be it.

Even if you join the facebook forum or WhatsApp chat group also same. UBER QUIET on useful information like car maintenance.. All would point you to certain workshop to have it done, if can be done there. Never try so no comments.

As I am still new to my PI-appointed MBM Wheel Power and abit concern about warranty, I would gladly pay for whatever the workshop recommends. Once warranty is over, then I will try to source for my oils if can be much cheaper or better. More kiasi now as first time dealing with PI workshop.

Important is no regret with getting my Vellfire. Cheers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Do not be discouraged by the absence of response to your query. By now you should have realized that owners of this ride generally are not too bothered about doing things the DIY way. Generally if by spending money can solve, then that would be it.

Even if you join the facebook forum or WhatsApp chat group also same. UBER QUIET on useful information like car maintenance.. All would point you to certain workshop to have it done, if can be done there. Never try so no comments.

As I am still new to my PI-appointed MBM Wheel Power and abit concern about warranty, I would gladly pay for whatever the workshop recommends. Once warranty is over, then I will try to source for my oils if can be much cheaper or better. More kiasi now as first time dealing with PI workshop.

Important is no regret with getting my Vellfire. Cheers.

No worries. Anyway, I brought my own Motul V300 05W30 oil to MBM for the 1st warranty visit too. After changing, reving is a wee bit more smoother now.

• Praise 1

No worries. Anyway, I brought my own Motul V300 05W30 oil to MBM for the 1st warranty visit too. After changing, reving is a wee bit more smoother now.

Wow that is great. So do you need to inform MBM about bringing your own oil when you make appointment for servicing? Did you need to let them know exactly what brand of oil you bringing and get their approval? And is there any remarks on the servicing receipt about you bringing your own oil?

This is very useful information. Thanks.  [thumbsup] 

Anybody has good engine oil to recommend? I'm going for my 1st servicing and the oil is not included.

Since I have to pay, might as well I bring along my own oil. Also, how many litres for 1 change?

I thought it Is free servicing for the 2st 2. Then it is free labor. Parts and oils must pay after?

Motul is great but a bit ex. How many quarts did you need? I used to use redline in my odyssey. A little cheaper. 0-30 is ok for new car but I shifted to 10-40 when my ride got older

• Praise 1

Oh ya, forgot to mention.

Yes, you have to let them know you are bringing your own EO. I informed the lady when making a appt and also the guy who took over my keys when I reached there. For some reason, I got a feeling they will missed out my EO. After waiting for an hr, I walked out from the waiting room and over to where my car was. After they drained the oil, they started to opened up a Mobil bottle and that was when I stepped in and told the mech I have my own EO.

For bringing your own EO, there is a fee of $30. I felt this is not reasonable as warranty already includes labour so why do I need to fork out more. Did reason with MBM over this so other bros who intend to bring their own EO, please keep this in mind.

I bought 3 x Motul and each is 2L. Filling up the engine needs around 4.4 to 4.6L so the 3rd bottle can be kept till the next servicing.

I may try the 5W-40 Motul for the next service. I don't rev to redline nor go for very long trips so I think 5W30 is thick enough.

Edited by Woes
  • Praise 1

Oh ya, forgot to mention.

Yes, you have to let them know you are bringing your own EO. I informed the lady when making a appt and also the guy who took over my keys when I reached there. For some reason, I got a feeling they will missed out my EO. After waiting for an hr, I walked out from the waiting room and over to where my car was. After they drained the oil, they started to opened up a Mobil bottle and that was when I stepped in and told the mech I have my own EO.

For bringing your own EO, there is a fee of $30. I felt this is not reasonable as warranty already includes labour so why do I need to fork out more. Did reason with MBM over this so other bros who intend to bring their own EO, please keep this in mind.

I bought 3 x Motul and each is 2L. Filling up the engine needs around 4.4 to 4.6L so the 3rd bottle can be kept till the next servicing.

I may try the 5W-40 Motul for the next service. I don't rev to redline nor go for very long trips so I think 5W30 is thick enough.

Thanks for sharing this very useful information.  [thumbsup]  Good that this MBM is not so up tight over customers bringing in own parts. The $30 is not really much of an deterrent also.

After having this ride for a few months, everything has been great except for 2 things: poor FC and huge swaying of the ride when going over humps especially when at an angle. 

The later was especially bad. The first time the ride went over a seires of small humps before a usual carpark entrance at an angle, I was literally shocked as the swaying movement was big. As this ride is just below 1.9m, I was not expecting that as my previous Biante at 1.835m was an non-event going over the same humps. I was thinking how can 5cm make so much difference.

I was expecting this Vellfire to be a premium passengers carrier, thus should have done better in this aspect. Until now I just realized what contributed to this. 

This morning while sitting in the car, I just took notice of how much headroom this Vellfire has compared to Biante. I could not stretch my hands up fully and the space at the ceiling look just slightly bigger than any other ride, unlike Biante which has HUGE space above. This mean the car seats are at much higher position, thus very susceptible to car swaying movement due to higher CG.

Very simple explanation but don't think there is any solution to this. I have done Ultra Racing bars which reduce this to a certain extent but can still feel the swaying when going over humps at an angle. But I am not incline to modify the suspension setup to make it harder/stiffer as it will surely help abit but at the expense of comfort for passengers.

Think this is something that owners of this ride have to live with it. Good thing this is not frequently encountered. 

• Praise 1

Anybody here knows where is the fuse location for the lights of the front L and R doors that shines onto the ground? Just changed the lights and it sparked. Now, there is no DC. I have checked the fuse box in the car engine but found nothing

• Praise 1

Anybody here knows where is the fuse location for the lights of the front L and R doors that shines onto the ground? Just changed the lights and it sparked. Now, there is no DC. I have checked the fuse box in the car engine but found nothing

ya, 1 more thing. Now all my internal lights are not working so I really think the fuse for this is gone. All other external lightings are working fine.

I did look through the manual but it is all in Japanese. Is there a English version somewhere I can download?

ya, 1 more thing. Now all my internal lights are not working so I really think the fuse for this is gone. All other external lightings are working fine.

I did look through the manual but it is all in Japanese. Is there a English version somewhere I can download?

There is one more fuse box in the cabin behind the glove compartment.

You are lucky there is a youtube video on this: 

• Praise 1

Sorry to hear that. How did just changing the lights for the doors cause a short? It was a replacement for the door lights?

Sorry to hear that. How did just changing the lights for the doors cause a short? It was a replacement for the door lights?

I bought a pair of downlights. Fixing the driver side was OK but once I fix in the passenger side, the fuse broke. Now is confirmed one of the new lights is shorted.

post-13516-0-67992500-1507107176_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Hi, 

I just got my car yesterday and I already know what you mean. 

It is fairly different in term of handling from my previous odyssey's handling. I know what you mean by the swaying now. Think I will have to put in the UR bars soon. 

Acceleration on eco mode is terrible but the FC is more acceptable. This morning did 11km/l on 70/30 highway driving. But super ah pek driving. Sadly, I am becoming definitely more ah pek in driving

After having this ride for a few months, everything has been great except for 2 things: poor FC and huge swaying of the ride when going over humps especially when at an angle. 

The later was especially bad. The first time the ride went over a seires of small humps before a usual carpark entrance at an angle, I was literally shocked as the swaying movement was big. As this ride is just below 1.9m, I was not expecting that as my previous Biante at 1.835m was an non-event going over the same humps. I was thinking how can 5cm make so much difference.

I was expecting this Vellfire to be a premium passengers carrier, thus should have done better in this aspect. Until now I just realized what contributed to this. 

This morning while sitting in the car, I just took notice of how much headroom this Vellfire has compared to Biante. I could not stretch my hands up fully and the space at the ceiling look just slightly bigger than any other ride, unlike Biante which has HUGE space above. This mean the car seats are at much higher position, thus very susceptible to car swaying movement due to higher CG.

Very simple explanation but don't think there is any solution to this. I have done Ultra Racing bars which reduce this to a certain extent but can still feel the swaying when going over humps at an angle. But I am not incline to modify the suspension setup to make it harder/stiffer as it will surely help abit but at the expense of comfort for passengers.

Think this is something that owners of this ride have to live with it. Good thing this is not frequently encountered. 

Hi, 

It is fairly different in term of handling from my previous odyssey's handling. I know what you mean by the swaying now. Think I will have to put in the UR bars soon. 

Acceleration on eco mode is terrible but the FC is more acceptable. This morning did 11km/l on 70/30 highway driving. But super ah pek driving. Sadly, I am becoming definitely more ah pek in driving

Congrates on collecting the ride! Must take abit of time to familiarise with all the functions in the car. Coming from Biante which is quite barebone, this ride is choke-full of features. Autolock comes as default finally. Even this took awhile to know how to handle haha, always cannot open doors initially after stopping. Must also know which part of door handle to touch to lock and unlock the car. Also opening or closing the door need to press buttons for a few seconds, and not instantaneous like previous car. Really need some time to get used. Think battery will not last more than 1.5 years given the amount of electronics onboard.

Your FC is excellent. If long term can get 9km;L I would think very good already considering the size of this car. Mine has been stabilising at about 7.5km/L as always doing short trips. Come to accept it already.

UR bars will help a lot especially for stability and handling, even on flat road like certain stretches of expressway as quite uneven so swaying is very obvious. But when going over series of humps at an angle, will still sway so better temper your expectation not thinking that this UR bar system will eliminate swaying completely. High CG definitely will sway lah.

And you might drive like an apek but the engine is definitely good enough for this ride. If need to, press the accelerator and the car will move fast. Definitely comparable to those NA MPVs and normal sedans, but cannot compare to turbo cars. Coming from Odessey, this should not be worse right?

Hi,

Bro, the Eco mode is useless. I was using the Eco mode for the first 2 weeks. But when need the sudden surge, really cannot make it.

Since then I have never turned on eco mode. But coupled with start stop, I am hitting an average of 11.1km/l over 4k km. Around 70/30 too.

• Praise 1

Bro, the Eco mode is useless. I was using the Eco mode for the first 2 weeks. But when need the sudden surge, really cannot make it.

Since then I have never turned on eco mode. But coupled with start stop, I am hitting an average of 11.1km/l over 4k km. Around 70/30 too.

Wow, superb!

My car does not have start stop, it is a X model. Yours is from BM?

Wow, superb!

My car does not have start stop, it is a X model. Yours is from BM?

Yes. Mine is from BM. Didnt like start stop initally but now I do. It can be controlled by how hard u brake. If you don't wish to activate it as the lights are turning green in a few secs then don't depress so hard. My own guideline is use only if I need to stop for more than 10secs

Btw anyone knows where to install the original screen? BM no longer sells with the roof monitor

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1