I'm a nurse. Ask me anything about nursing

Philipkee

Not true. Having said TT, one must be a senior nurse first to get a reasonable wage. The job is stable so no fear of retrenchment. still, nurse who buys a merc will draw eyebrows cos we dun earn tt much unless at director of nursing level.

I personally know a Sn who drives a big car. I believe from parents. And I also know a senior doctor who takes MRT.

I do drive but i bought when coe was low.

heard staff nurse pay not bad.......more than 5k....true har?
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

is it true that when the nurses are doing the "tabao" of dead body, they don't call each other names during the process?

heard staff nurse pay not bad.......more than 5k....true har?

Definitely not true. Maybe for SSN and above will hit 5K or slightly above. This happens IF u do three shifts plus a degree and advanced dip.

To be in office hours and earn about 5K u must be nursing officer level and above.

SN it is impossible in Singapore.

While nurses are not poorly paid here, neither are they well paid, in both private and govt sectors as they are generally on par.

I earn about 4-5k a month but I have been in this line for 15 years with degree and advanced dip. Highly paid, dun think so.

U will hear stories that nurses are paid a lot but TT is not true. Just that every time the govt announce higher pay, people get fixated at the highest percentage of increment, forgeting the rank and file usually run get the high end of increment.

Yes correct. This is because nursing profession is not a vocation to make money. It is to care, heal, and listen the sick. They are there to guide teach and coach patient, bring them back to their normal life. RNs are trained to evaluate the medical treatment prescribed by the physician and provide feedback and some recommendation to them.

Beside that RNs also provide care consultation, plans and advice to the patient and family.

Where got staff nurse drive big cars?

Most of them can't afford a Bb car.

is it true that when the nurses are doing the "tabao" of dead body, they don't call each other names during the process?

Not in my experience but we talk to each other as if the patient is alive. We also talk to the patient as if he were alive cos there is a belief that the spirit is still inside or aroundso showing respect is a mUST.

A freaky incident. A doctor was doing a study on brain activity and we know the value is 100 for alive and conscious patient and 0 for dead. There was this one time when we stopped resuscitation and patient was declared dead. Brain activity level was 10,and dropping. The family came in and the number jumped to 99.

I asked the doctor if patient would awake but he assured me patient would not as heart was almost not beating. BUT he could not explain why the brain activity was TT of a conscious person. Patient did not wake up and died immediately after the relatives left. The sudden surge of brain activity when the family came is something I still cannot explain even today.

So when we handle dead bodies, we treat the patient as alive. Even when we transfer to mortuary, we still talk to the patient, say we are turning him and all TT. I think it is also basic respect.

• Praise 3

wei....dont frighten me lei.......just want to be done with whatever it is.......no need to be in army for so long......i post his silver bayonet.....name i pixelised liao! Display box is on my wall.......hahahaha....maciam i am the one who won!attachicon.gif10887631_10204557183746228_4203158224181619317_o-picsay.jpgya....ya....sorry hor bro philip!

Was the person taking the pic you? (in the reflection seen in the box's front cover) [grin]

Definitely not true. Maybe for SSN and above will hit 5K or slightly above. This happens IF u do three shifts plus a degree and advanced dip.

To be in office hours and earn about 5K u must be nursing officer level and above.

While nurses are not poorly paid here, neither are they well paid, in both private and govt sectors as they are generally on par.

I earn about 4-5k a month but I have been in this line for 15 years with degree and advanced dip. Highly paid, dun think so.

U will hear stories that nurses are paid a lot but TT is not true. Just that every time the govt announce higher pay, people get fixated at the highest percentage of increment, forgeting the rank and file usually run get the high end of increment.

The starting pay for polytechnic graduate is from S$1950 to S$2100 before any allowance.

After one year probation they could earn up to S$2500

The starting pay for NUS graduate is about S$2800 - 3000 before any allowance

Not in my experience but we talk to each other as if the patient is alive. We also talk to the patient as if he were alive cos there is a belief that the spirit is still inside or aroundso showing respect is a mUST.

A freaky incident. A doctor was doing a study on brain activity and we know the value is 100 for alive and conscious patient and 0 for dead. There was this one time when we stopped resuscitation and patient was declared dead. Brain activity level was 10,and dropping. The family came in and the number jumped to 99.

I asked the doctor if patient would awake but he assured me patient would not as heart was almost not beating. BUT he could not explain why the brain activity was TT of a conscious person. Patient did not wake up and died immediately after the relatives left. The sudden surge of brain activity when the family came is something I still cannot explain even today.

So when we handle dead bodies, we treat the patient as alive. Even when we transfer to mortuary, we still talk to the patient, say we are turning him and all TT. I think it is also basic respect.

This is absolutely correct!

• Praise 1

wah....15 yrs......sometimes its not the pay that keeps you going......but the passion. In sg as long as as the post is deemed secondary it will be a long hard slog even though with what the gov tries to showcase.......always starts with them and we know their penchant for lip service.

Supercharged

My utmost respect to you.

My niece now in A&E offered to do Degree in Nursing but would be bonded. She is scared of being tied down so thinking of saving up for it which Uni would u recommend?

Thank you for your advice.

• Praise 2

The starting pay for polytechnic graduate is from S$1950 to S$2100 before any allowance.

After one year probation they could earn up to S$2500

The starting pay for NUS graduate is about S$2800 - 3000 before any allowance

This is absolutely correct!

That is in line with salary of Dip holders across all gov sector......always the same and the ceiling will probably be the same too.

My utmost respect to you.

My niece now in A&E offered to do Degree in Nursing but would be bonded. She is scared of being tied down so thinking of saving up for it which Uni would u recommend?

Thank you for your advice.

First, unless she is thinking of quitting, get bonded. Time will fly

Second, all universities are the same, in Singapore. As long as it is recognised by Snb. Cheapest for me was curtin. But not sure now.

The big question should be, overseas or local? Local is cheaper and equally recognised in Singapore butioverseas is more exp but u have more exposure and it is easier to fond a job. Example, u studied in Sydney. It is easier to work in Sydney after TT cos u know their system.

Locally, the cheapest recognised degree will do. Overseas, the uni where u plan to work in the future or the cheapest recognised one.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Oic. The reason why I ask is from my understanding our hearing is the last sys to shut down before we pass on. Therefore people doing the tabao will not call out each other names as they don't want the spirit to come back to them for help.

Oic. The reason why I ask is from my understanding our hearing is the last sys to shut down before we pass on. Therefore people doing the tabao will not call out each other names as they don't want the spirit to come back to them for help.

Not that I know. Hearing is the last sense to go that is why for comatose patients we treat patient as alive and conscious. For dead, it is because the spirit might still be around.

We do nothing wrong, why fear the haunting? What I have heard is never stand at the foot of the patient as it blocks the spirit journey to the netherworld. I dun believe it but I also dun stand there. Of cos walk pass is ok la.

• Praise 1

No wonder very hard to attract people

Salary really too low

• Praise 4

the worst nurses are those "aunties" in polyclinics. calling patients names like buay song to the max.(* leem....ahhhhhh.....seng)

those nurses in pte ones eg glenneagles are mostly FT Filipinas etc.

but salute to nurses for their work in taking care of patients.

• Praise 2

No wonder very hard to attract people

Salary really too low

wait till you see what malaysia pay their nurse, RM800 starting pay, worse than a robot at lease robot can program [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

the worst nurses are those "aunties" in polyclinics. calling patients names like buay song to the max.(* leem....ahhhhhh.....seng)

those nurses in pte ones eg glenneagles are mostly FT Filipinas etc.

but salute to nurses for their work in taking care of patients.

i find the nurse here are very polite and nice, calling and talking loudly doesn't mean they dun care about the patients, some time hospitalised patients like to self pity and mentally refuse to get stronger to help themselves, everything depend on other.

that is what i observed but i believe the nurse knows the patients condition well enough to apply different level of TLC.

wait till you see what malaysia pay their nurse, RM800 starting pay, worse than a robot at lease robot can program [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

i find the nurse here are very polite and nice, calling and talking loudly doesn't mean they dun care about the patients, some time hospitalised patients like to self pity and mentally refuse to get stronger to help themselves, everything depend on other.

that is what i observed but i believe the nurse knows the patients condition well enough to apply different level of TLC.

if S$300, must as well come SG be maid

no wonder Singaporeans all wanna study business accounts law acturial science, become lawyer accountant doctor banker

↡ Advertisement