Best way to extend USB from rear of headunit

Hobbes187

Hi,

I was wondering what are the options available when I go install a headunit (Pioneer AVH-X5750BT) with only rear USB ports but the car doesn't have existing built in USB ports for the installer to connect it to?

Do they simply leave an extension cable dangling somewhere or do they have a way to neatly install a port for me? What is the recommended method?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

I will find a blank switch and cut a hole and fit the extended USB female head, molding to it so its looks like a original fitting

* I did it before *

Edited by High_octane
  • Praise 1

I will find a blank switch and cut a hole and fit the extended USB female head, molding to it so its looks like a original fitting

* I did it before *

Wow, how did you cut it so accurately? Any pics?

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures and can't anymore because that was my old car which has been scraped.

I got the idea from lots of DIYs in the USA.

You can find many of such ideas on Google

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=blank+switch+USB+DIY&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=szzPVNPTCYHTmgXbnoDICw&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=669&bih=648

I'm quite particular about keeping my car interior neat with no dangling wires and things looking as "original" as possible.

The switch blanks you find on cars can be purchased from the stockist cheap. (in case you are afraid of doing it wrong the first time round)
Usually they are made of plastics that can be cut with a very sharp penknife.

I drilled holes on mine to roughly get the shape and filed down.

Another method is to cut a big opening and use epoxy putty to both fill up the gaps and hold the USB female socket in place.

You can spray paint it black so it all looks like one piece.

I'll go dig my old photo folders later and see if I did take any photos.

Edited by High_octane
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1