Does your child lack sleep?

Jman888

primary school children need 9-10 hours sleep, secondary probably 8 hrs, but nowadays many students are sleeping after 12 midnight.

Is your child getting enough sleep?

Many parents not alert to child's lack of sleep: Study
PUBLISHED ON FEB 5, 2015
cysleepa050215e.jpg
Tay Danzel, 10 trying to concentrate on his homework. More than a third of lower primary school pupils are not getting enough sleep, but only 8 per cent of parents recognise that their child may have sleep problems. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM
BY CALVIN YANG
SINGAPORE - More than a third of lower primary school pupils are not getting enough sleep, but only 8 per cent of parents recognise that their child may have sleep problems.
A survey by four Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students of more than 300 parents last November and December found that 37.5 per cent of six-to-nine-year-olds show signs of sleep deprivation.
NEW_Sleep06.jpg
"It is worrying that parents don't realise that sleep deprivation is an issue among kids," said final-year communication studies undergraduate Cai Yiming, 24. He carried out the survey with fellow students Jeremiah Wong, 25, Joan Agustin, 22, and Muhammad Dinie, 25.
Mr Cai added: "There is a need for better awareness. Most parents were surprised by our findings."
On a school day, most pupils sleep an average eight hours, fewer than the nine to 10 hours they should ideally clock. This means if a child gets up at 6am, he has to be in bed by 9pm, at the latest.
However, 88.8 per cent of the children hit the sack after 9pm, when most of them need to wake up early as primary schools start at 7.30am.
The study was part of a social campaign, The Pillow Police. It was part of the students' final-year project and done in collaboration with the National University Hospital (NUH) which, among other things, contributed to the analysis of data findings.
The study found that about four in 10 pupils feel sleepy during the day and 37 per cent do not go to bed at the same time every night.
Dr Michael Lim, a paediatric pulmonary and sleep consultant at NUH, said: "Children should be sleeping earlier if they have an early start to the day.
"There also has to be a consistent bedtime routine. It is not only about the sleeping hours but also the quality of sleep."
Parents should look out for signs such as restlessness, he added.
Common effects of sleep deprivation in children include deteriorating grades, inattention, poor decision-making skills and a higher risk of displaying anxiety and depressive symptoms.

↡ Advertisement

I'm aware of this.

My girl finds it difficult to sleep. So when she was born, we changed our lifestyle to suit hers.

Good guides would be about

14-15 hrs as an infant

Around 12 for young children

Around 10 for primary school

~8-9 for sec school but i guess this is the hardest to enforce

Adolescents also have a delayed response of melatonin. They actually need to switch off the lights for more than 1/2 an hour (including no phone screens) for their melatonin to drop to feel sleepy.

So almost all singaporean adolescents are sleep deprived.

Even with our best efforts, My girl sleeps about 10-11 hrs a day only.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

To be frank...it is never the TV issue. The main problem is CCA and homework. A secondary student finished CCA at 6.30pm and reached home by 7pm (assuming the school is nearby). After dinner...shower and a quick rest...it already 8pm. If they take another 2 hours to do homework or do some quick revision...it is already 10pm...so I don't even thinking it is possible for a secondary school kid to sleep anytime before 10.30pm. The most hour they can get to sleep is 7 hrs...MAX

Edited by LoverofCar

I'm aware of this.

My girl finds it difficult to sleep. So when she was born, we changed our lifestyle to suit hers.

14-15 hrs as an infant

Adolescents also have a delayed response of melatonin. They actually need to switch off the lights for more than 1/2 an hour (including no phone screens) for their melatonin to drop to feel sleepy.

How old is your girl? 10 to 11 hrs is really a luxury for a student nowaday.

To be frank...it is never the TV issue. The main problem is CCA and homework. A secondary student finished CCA at 6.30pm and reached home by 7pm (assuming the school is nearby). After dinner...shower and a quick rest...it already 8pm. If they take another 2 hours to do homework or do some quick revision...it is already 10pm...so I don't even thinking it is possible for a secondary school kid to sleep anytime before 10.30pm. The most hour they can get to sleep is 7 hrs...MAX

that is about right, but many are still up at midnight working on projects and assignment.

I'm aware of this.

14-15 hrs as an infant

Same. My kids P1 & P3 go to bed at 7:30-8pm. Used to be 7pm when they were younger.
  • Praise 2

Same. My kids P1 & P3 go to bed at 7:30-8pm. Used to be 7pm when they were younger.

you must be super discipline [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

at your age, 5 hours i s enough [laugh][laugh]

cannot....must be 9 hrs....hahaha! My daughter is 10 but she doesnt want to sleep at 9.....must force her to sleep at 10 and if she does we will be happy. Pity her lar.....so much homework especially Maths.....she is starting to hate maths eventhough she was one of the top scorer for her cohort. She will breeze through her MT, Science and Arts homework....but comes to Maths she would even put another book on top of her Maths exercise book.
  • Praise 1

I'm aware of this.

14-15 hrs as an infant

Maybe can try patting her back or shoulder lightly to help her sleep. It works on my young son.

The patting is to mimic the mother's heartbeat when the baby is in the womb. Pat according to the pace of your heartbeat. Works for young children as it helps to calm them down.

i think u even more power than most parents. that's really early. haha

my 2 yr old girl is about 10 for bedtime till 7am. Then another 1hr-2hrs in the daytime.

That's about the best we can do liao...

Maybe can try patting her back or shoulder lightly to help her sleep. It works on my young son.

The patting is to mimic the mother's heartbeat when the baby is in the womb. Pat according to the pace of your heartbeat. Works for young children as it helps to calm them down.

My oc also pat me last night.....nb.....then had to sleep one hr later! 😂😂😂😂
  • Praise 3

Maybe coz my kids do not nap in the day...that probably make it easier for them to sleep early. Day time is just home work and play.

Sleeping early also has its problem....we have to be super on time for dinner so they will have to get ready for bed, read a book, etc.

↡ Advertisement