Anyone In Salon Business Here?

Yeobt

Supercharged

hi,

am considering to venture into those budget hair salon in the neighbourhood.

anybody here could give some advice on personal level?

- like substanability

- employee - any difficulties in WP for malaysian or china staffs?

- how much you think is enough for the setup.

- any other constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

↡ Advertisement

hi,

- like substanability

TIA

No idea dude. Suggest you go to the other famous forum starting with 'S' also and ask.

Employee might be a problem. I see my regular hair salon, employee all from MY. But they will walk even for $50 pay difference. They have no loyalty. Always see different employee and the boss always complaining. But she has two shops so I guess it is still profitable if the location does not have other hair salon.

Main thing with hair salon is to keep a loyal base of regular customer(aunties). They are the cash cow. Every time need to attend this and that dinner, sure go hair salon do hair one.

• Praise 1

hi,

- like substanability

TIA

Hey,

On a personal level (I don't own a hair salon), but as I'm doing sales in a company that sells Point of Sales systems, I can share a bit of what I've observed with my customers who are in similar lines.

Manpower : hard to keep them, especially the Malaysians. Boss has to be there most of the time for one of my clients. Some are concerned about pilferage. Like charge the customer normal price is $9, they put $8 on the cash register machine, and then pocket the difference. That's why some of my clients have CCTV facing their cashier or only allow certain staff to take cash, the rest cut hair.

What some of my clients do, is put a sign to inform the customer that they should take receipt, and any discrepancies they find, they can complain to the management and get free hair cut (get customer to bao toh the cheater). Otherwise, the POS that they use have a display to show the customer the price to pay.

Other than that, find out about government grants that you can utilise to help kick start your company.

Two of the popular ones are the SPRING Singapore Innovation and Capability Voucher (ICV) and IRAS Productivity and Innovation Credit (PIC).

Basic outline: ICV is a $5K Voucher for all SMEs (under 200 employees and / or under $100million annual sales turnover). You have 8 you can apply for, but can only use one at a time. You can use 2 for productivity solutions, and the other 6 for consultancy services.

Source: http://www.spring.gov.sg/Growing-Business/Voucher/Pages/innovation-capability-voucher.aspx

Apply: https://apps2.spring.gov.sg/ICV/icvmainpage.aspx

Basic outline: PIC is a credit / tax reduction scheme for businesses in Singapore. (Contary to popular belief, you don't need 3 CPF employees to use it, as long as you're not targeting the Cash Payout, but just the Enhanced Tax Deduction portion). It helps you when you purchase certain productivity enhancing equipment.

Source: http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/PIcredit.aspx

One of my clients had his GF doing the hair cuts, until they broke up.. Now he's stuck with a salon with no stylist (he can't cut for nuts). Most the paid up between $25~$50K.. But that was previously, when rental was still lower. Not sure where you have in mind, so, do plan accordingly.

• Praise 7

Neutral Newbie

No idea dude. Suggest you go to the other famous forum starting with 'S' also and ask.

So did you manage to open one in singapore already?