Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

I got a similar set with prescription glass from taobao..come with the various magnatic clip on polarized shades......LOL

put in my car sunglass holder.

just swap out my usual spectacles for this set whenever the sun is blazing.

Got to thank @kdash for the awareness of this type of frame with magnetic clip on shades. That got me to do abit of  reserach and shopping.

The JKK brands shown are abit on the expensive side, cost about USD40  from aliexpress. 

I found cheaper alternatives from shoppee and bought the cheapest frame at $10.80. Comes with 5 shades.  Only one, the dark one  on the top of the picture, is polarised. Confirmed by handphone lcd. Then I bought a Qoo10 high index lens only for $49 (after $10 coupon). Edging is inclusive. Altogether $59.80. 

But don't expect much from a $10 frame. It's feels fragile. Not strong and firm. But it's light, good for running. From the look at it, JKK should be better quality and nicer design. But uncle like me not so fashionable and mostly abot saving money.

https://shopee.sg/product/12990524/106950197/

http://list.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Goods/Goods.aspx?goodscode=506697630

↡ Advertisement

I got a similar set with prescription glass from taobao..come with the various magnatic clip on polarized shades......LOL

put in my car sunglass holder.

just swap out my usual spectacles for this set whenever the sun is blazing.

Your  prescription l;ens done by tao bao seller too? Would that be cheaper? I don't have my prescription details, didn't thought I would need it then since, eye check is inclusive whenever we make glasses in Singapore.  

• Praise 1

yes.... I just use my prescription record from my recent spectacle prescription update and send it to the taobao seller. Can have high index and super high index lenses choices.

So far the prescription glasses has been quite accurate, have a 2 other pairs of taobao sourced prescription glasses at home which I use on regular basis.

Helps that the cost of a pair is a fraction of locally prescribed ones. [:p]

Your  prescription l;ens done by tao bao seller too? Would that be cheaper? I don't have my prescription details, didn't thought I would need it then since, eye check is inclusive whenever we make glasses in Singapore.  

• Praise 1

yes.... I just use my prescription record from my recent spectacle prescription update and send it to the taobao seller. Can have high index and super high index lenses choices.

So far the prescription glasses has been quite accurate, have a 2 other pairs of taobao sourced prescription glasses at home which I use on regular basis.

Wow! Haven’t think about this actually but it’s a real steal isn’t it

• Praise 1

i was considering to make prescription sunglasses recently to wear while driving, and did not want to make transition lens as it gives an "old uncle" vibe (apologies to all the senior MCFers haha...)

managed to find this plastic frame from a shop at Queensway Shopping Centre with a magnet-on polarised lens in front. i find this really suits my needs as i can easily put on and take off the polarised lens without too much hassle (as compared to clip-ons), especially when entering/exiting tunnel. i have a non-slip mat on my dashboard for easy access to the lens whenever i need it. only downside is that i must wear this pair of specs whenever i drive as the magnets are on the frame of the specs. 

i believe many shops around SG sell this kind of lens. i got mine for $150 so its quite affordable. hope this helps. 

attachicon.gifglasses.jpg

Actually i've been wanting to ask. Is there a name for this type of glasses with magnet-on polarised lens?

I might need to do another pair of specs too, and something like this will suit well. I used to buy those big wear-over polarised sunglasses, to wear on top of my specs, when i drive in bright sunlight. It's quite heavy, but is an affordable option - unless i make a pair of prescription lens that is polarised, which will cost a bomb.

Oh, anyone knows whether Paris Miki is good and is the price affordable? I thought it was quite ok (not v ex) but wife said it's branded and is ex...

• Praise 1

Actually i've been wanting to ask. Is there a name for this type of glasses with magnet-on polarised lens?

I might need to do another pair of specs too, and something like this will suit well. I used to buy those big wear-over polarised sunglasses, to wear on top of my specs, when i drive in bright sunlight. It's quite heavy, but is an affordable option - unless i make a pair of prescription lens that is polarised, which will cost a bomb.

Oh, anyone knows whether Paris Miki is good and is the price affordable? I thought it was quite ok (not v ex) but wife said it's branded and is ex...

magnetic spectacles with polarised lenses? the design does not seem to be patented to any particular brand. i'm sure many optical shops have this kind of specs available, you can try Queensway which is where i bought them. or else can try the taobao/qoo10 options from bro @ender and @vratenza which are much more economical but require your prescription to be on hand.

not sure about Paris Miki though...

• Praise 1

magnetic spectacles with polarised lenses? the design does not seem to be patented to any particular brand. i'm sure many optical shops have this kind of specs available, you can try Queensway which is where i bought them. or else can try the taobao/qoo10 options from bro @ender and @vratenza which are much more economical but require your prescription to be on hand.

not sure about Paris Miki though...

When i made my current specs in Feb 05 (that's why i started this thread at that time), the shop i went to (Nanyang Optical) said they dun have leh, that's why i bo bian, went to buy the wear-over type.

Ok, will ask about magnetic clip on polarised lens...

• Praise 1

Ever since @kdash intro this type of frame, my radar on alert for the frame. Owndays have, $198 all in  with choice of one color. They call it the Snap.  Better quality than my china one..

Edited by Ender

Next time, I will keep record of my prescription when having my eyes checked.

wow great ! where to get nice  old flower glasses   [grin]

You should, whenever the optometrist scribble the prescription on the card, I always make it a point to clarify what are the illegible numbers before making payment. I suspect optometrists wanted to protect their turf... :D

Next time, I will keep record of my prescription when having my eyes checked.

Taobao have...or you just go China make lor since you fly there so frequently. :D

Old flower, if only just for reading go Daiso or some of the ABC shop. Cheap.

Old flower, if only just for reading go Daiso or some of the ABC shop. Cheap.

less than $2 .... cheap cheap . But dont look nice in office lel esp meeting customer . 

like that how to sian cha bo ...  [grin]

Taobao have...or you just go China make lor since you fly there so frequently. :D

my China colleague always tell me dont buy in China . He buy his spec in Japan , shoe in Germany. 

He said China now too expensive  [:|]  ... its no more chip chip lor  

• Praise 2

They also prefer to buy their cars from Germany (athough they have these german marque factories in China assembling the same models), basketball shoes from USA.....

Their own people see their own product lousy.....only go for "进口货“

my China colleague always tell me dont buy in China . He buy his spec in Japan , shoe in Germany. 

• Praise 1

Ever since @kdash intro this type of frame, my radar on alert for the frame. Owndays have, $198 all in  with choice of one color. They call it the Snap.  Better quality than my china one..

OK tks... 

i'm actually hoping to stick to one optician shop if at all possible. Will go and ask the shop i did my current specs, whether they have something similar. If really dun have, then no choice have to go elsewhere.

You should, whenever the optometrist scribble the prescription on the card, I always make it a point to clarify what are the illegible numbers before making payment. I suspect optometrists wanted to protect their turf... :D

Ha ha... i'm not surprised if they really are like what you suspected.

My problem is that even if they give me what they had taken time to confirm (my degrees), it might change so might not be accurate still... I never expected that at my age, eyesight will still change, but using the phone/tablet so much in the last 3-4 yr, really made them worse.

Seriously? For what products?

I noticed that for sports shoes, last time Nike/NB maybe sell $90-100, then China brand Erke was selling at like $20...

Now, Nike/NB got $150-250, Erke cheapest offer price is ~$50. Normal price is even higher...

They also prefer to buy their cars from Germany (athough they have these german marque factories in China assembling the same models), basketball shoes from USA.....

Their own people see their own product lousy.....only go for "进口货“

And you only need to ask them whether they'll buy their own China milk powder...

that gives you a good sense of their confidence in their own products.

• Praise 2

Seriously? For what products?

I noticed that for sports shoes, last time Nike/NB maybe sell $90-100, then China brand Erke was selling at like $20...

Now, Nike/NB got $150-250, Erke cheapest offer price is ~$50. Normal price is even higher...

China brand generally not priced that high of course. 

if you try to get a oversea brand in China , its cheaper out of the country. Main land will slap a big tax on 

foreign goods. 

• Praise 6

Recently saw Daiso selling clip on for old flowers. Will buy if I can't stand my old flower eyes anymore. [:)]

China brand generally not priced that high of course. 

if you try to get a oversea brand in China , its cheaper out of the country. Main land will slap a big tax on 

foreign goods. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1