Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

had wanted to change to transition lens long ago, but was told that it is not for driving use.

The change in color for the lens is by UV light and for most car, our window and tinting cut off most of UV and lens will not change color to work as it should be.

yes, I heard about that too from my optician.

so mine are not transitions.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

U got go to the link? They have made it possible for use inside the car.

i see.

Please try and let us know if what they claim is true Vs what optician mentioned.

Thank you

i see.

Please try and let us know if what they claim is true Vs what optician mentioned.

Thank you

Thatz what I wana know too if this XTRActive range does indeed work.

I know the Signature series from Crizal does not work as I have that.

Thatz what I wana know too if this XTRActive range does indeed work.

I know the Signature series from Crizal does not work as I have that.

ha ha ha....guess in this case, best to ask your optician , or wait see if other bro have the experience.

Good luck.

• Praise 4

I am thinking of changing my driving spectacle lens to Crizal Transition XTRActive. Currently using a clip-on polarised lens for day driving. Anyone using this Crizal Transition XTRActive?

http://www.essilor.com.sg/products-brands/photochromic-lens/varilux-transitions/

I have a pair of these Xtractive made recently. It turns dark despite my window film if i leave it on the dasboard but if I am wearing it, somehow it turns light again as the sunlight is not directly on it. The lenses at 100/150 degrees cost $270, excluding frame.

• Praise 1

expensive plastic! I still prefer traditional glasses made of glass. Just wear a $39.90 polarized fitover from petrol station and it's the perfect companion for afternoon driving.

yes, I heard about that too from my optician.

so mine are not transitions.

I hv transition lens. But won't change shade inside car..cos of car film blocking most of uv. In car can only wear polarised shade.
  • Praise 2

I hv transition lens. But won't change shade inside car..cos of car film blocking most of uv. In car can only wear polarised shade.

for me inside car I just wear my sunnies ... [pirate]

my lens already progressive ... if add on transitions very ex also ...

to me, probably have to change lens by every 1.5 years, so I think don't need to over spend.

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 3

for driving and outdoor sports, transition without polarization is useless. Even with transition darkened to the max, it is still quite a strain and uncomfortable to the eyes. What you need is polarized lens with UV protection.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

Blueray, on 17 Mar 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

for me inside car I just wear my sunnies ... [pirate]

my lens already progressive ... if add on transitions very ex also ...

ya I also old flower eyes...on transition + progressive lens (quite ex lens about $400+) excluding frame

The transition lens now come with UV protection too (so call block UV reflection both sides of lens inside & outside)

there is a wholesaler shop in Ubi, transition + progressive lens starting from S$250 (depending thickness)

lens made in japan

• Praise 1

ya I also old flower eyes...on transition + progressive lens (quite ex lens about $400+) excluding frame

The transition lens now come with UV protection too (so call block UV reflection both sides of lens inside & outside)

there is a wholesaler shop in Ubi, transition + progressive lens starting from S$250 (depending thickness)

lens made in japan

last year when I refreshed my specs ... wah ... so confusing ... Hoya, Seiko, Carl Zeiss, Crizal, Nikon ... all with different specifications. :a-confused:

in the end I opted for the entry level progressives.

simple mind tells me, cannot be one pair of glass can cover indoor, outdoor and driving one ... so all these years have 2 pairs of glasses.

does this shop sell frames too or can bring frame there and they just supply and install the lens ?

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 2

My problem is I only have astigmatism, no short sightedness. So require a sunglass in daytime driving and clear lens for night time driving. Currently using clip-on.

But when drive into tunnel, the clip-on make the vision very dark cos they are polarised lens clip-on. Removing the clip-on is easy but putting them back on while driving is difficult. Dont wish to cause an accident!!!

So was thinking, new type of transition lens maybe can resolve my little issue.

No difference whether astig only or short-sighted only or combo. The difference is the pricing.

Use those clip on with flip up feature. Cheapest and most practical option.

I am using fitover and I can pull out the fitover and anchor it on my forehead. Just make sure your spectacle is not too big and fitover is not too small. Else, you may accidentally pull out your spectacle. [laugh]

Alternative choice is use Sworke insert, but due to curvature of the shade, you may feel giddy wearing it. Something like this with flickability:

http://www.sworke.com/#!valkri/c1fpw

Woah, just found something new.... [laugh]  [laugh] can use at night to catch monkeys:

http://www.sworke.com/#!360-led/c1xn0

I have more challenging tasks when riding than driving. [:(]

My problem is I only have astigmatism, no short sightedness. So require a sunglass in daytime driving and clear lens for night time driving. Currently using clip-on.

But when drive into tunnel, the clip-on make the vision very dark cos they are polarised lens clip-on. Removing the clip-on is easy but putting them back on while driving is difficult. Dont wish to cause an accident!!!

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Blueray, on 17 Mar 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

last year when I refreshed my specs ... wah ... so confusing ... Hoya, Seiko, Carl Zeiss, Crizal, Nikon ... all with different specifications. :a-confused:

in the end I opted for the entry level progressives.

simple mind tells me, cannot be one pair of glass can cover indoor, outdoor and driving one ... so all these years have 2 pairs of glasses.

does this shop sell frames too or can bring frame there and they just supply and install the lens ?

they are wholesaler and distributor for frames and lenses to optical shops

rayban sunglasses, tag , adidas, Oakley, etc

so prices cheaper than outside optical shops.  not many ppl know (so cannot openly sell to consumer like us keke)

rough gauge..last time I did Oakley frame + transition lens essilor (1.67 index) from optical shop around S$600+ - maybe 4 yrs ago

I choose another Oakley frame + transition lens (made in Japan dunno what brand..same 1.67 index) cost me $350 - 2yrs ago

both above were without progressive and I didn't compare price with outside optical shop in 2nd pair.

Adrianli, on 17 Mar 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

you can get polarised specs to cover your specs.  (make sure fits well and slight bigger than your specs frame)

I think cost around S$30~40 ..u can check optical shops.

• Praise 3

you can get polarised specs to cover your specs.  (make sure fits well and slight bigger than your specs frame)

I think cost around S$30~40 ..u can check optical shops.

I asked the optical shops near my place, none carry clip-on for my spectacle. Mine is Oakley Crosslink Sweep. So I bought the clip-on online. Have been using it but it cannot flip up. It fits my spectacles perfectly.

http://www.88clipon.com/oakley-crosslink-sweep-ox8033-55x18-clip-on

• Praise 2

Adrianli, on 17 Mar 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

I asked the optical shops near my place, none carry clip-on for my spectacle. Mine is Oakley Crosslink Sweep. So I bought the clip-on online. Have been using it but it cannot flip up. It fits my spectacles perfectly.

http://www.88clipon.com/oakley-crosslink-sweep-ox8033-55x18-clip-on

Nice..but clip on not practical if need to take off and put on every time

for flip up clip on - suitable for old uncle..keke

less uncle one...get cover over shade...cheaper also :x  like below in qoo10

http://list.qoo10.sg/s/FITOVER-SHADE?keyword=fitover+shade&keyword_auto_change=

but best go optical shop..cos can try and test and buy if gum

fitover not as comfortable as clip on, cos add on heavier weight plus wearing 2 specs :ouch-it-hurts:

but for short/local driving ..bearable ba

• Praise 1