Nissan Qashqai vs Honda Vezel, which is better?

Leoeve

The current HRV is from Japan, they have changed over since August, cheers.

Yup. Now

QQ - UK

Vezel & HRV - Jap

Vezel vs HRV - small diff don't say, but the main one... vezel has Honda sensing, HRV just standard package like parking sensor nia

Another thing, I like leather seats. HRV have boh?

↡ Advertisement

Yes, local leather for the DX version.

Is it full leather or LX? I test drove DX, middle part feel like those gunny cloth type, rough and uncomfortable.

For the benefit of readers who are here to consider Qashqai vs Vezel, back to the original topic of this thread, here are my reasons for choosing Qashqai.

1. Exterior - The QQ looks better. To me, the Vezel backside appears to be compressed. On my street, there is a QQ and a Vezel parked side by side, and the difference is clear to me. But looks are subjective. Some may find the Vezel nicer.

2. Cabin - The cabin of the QQ is nice. The features (cruise control, handsfree, reverse camera, 8 inch display, GPS etc) are quite impressive for a vehicle of this class. For the Vezel, the instrumentation level is very much dependent on the PI or the salesman.

3. Purchasing Experience - There is only one authorised dealer (Tan Chong) selling the QQ but there are many, many parallel importers selling the Vezel. There are reports of PIs taking your deposit but taking their sweet time or unable to secure the COE or deliver your car. Some ask you to pay up more than the deposit and run away with your money. We always compare prices but it seems that the cheaper the PI, the higher the risk. For QQ, you have no choice but to suck thumb and buy from TC and follow their procedure. Thankfully, they have been quite responsible so far. Pay $10,000 deposit, they bid for COE immediately. When COE secured and car ready, you pay balance and collect car. For PIs, there is a certain amount of risk.

4. Maintenance & Repair - Regardless of the make or model, cars can and will break down or have issues once in a while. PIs only sell, they subcontract the maintenance and repair to independent workshops, who repair all kinds of vehicles. Just to be clear, i actually think the mechanics in these workshops are generally more experienced and knowledgeable than those in the AD workshops, who normally go by the book. However, many modern cars are controlled by computers and software. It is not possible for these outside workshops to always keep up with the equipment, technology or software. You just need to follow the Vezel facebook page to see that there are some issues (display panel lights up like xmas lights for no reason, warning in japanese language comes on etc) where many workshops not sure what to do. But for TC, they have no choice. They better know what to do.

5. Uber - Lion City Rental bought many Vezels to rent out as Uber cars. You can see many of them on the road. On Vezel facebook, you can read some drivers complaining that they were mistaken for Uber cars. Amusing to some, but I would not want to be in that position. Thankfully, I have yet to see any Uber QQ.

6. Price - There seems to be an impression that the QQ is more expensive. Actually, the prices of the Vezel and the QQ1.2T are very close.

At the end of the day, you have to check out both your cars and decide for yourself. You may have different considerations. You may prefer the Vezel.

Haha... Simply funny on point 6.

Know what? Reason being many of the post here are contributed by PI. Some acting good by warning others about bad PI. These group spur the hype about who and who is damn good, the great deal about Vezel etc... Take care for newbie and the gullible.

Still it's so... LOL uber Vezel. Maybe Grab or others will also add Vezel to their fleet.

For the benefit of readers who are here to consider Qashqai vs Vezel, back to the original topic of this thread, here are my reasons for choosing Qashqai.

1. Exterior - The QQ looks better. To me, the Vezel backside appears to be compressed. On my street, there is a QQ and a Vezel parked side by side, and the difference is clear to me. But looks are subjective. Some may find the Vezel nicer.

2. Cabin - The cabin of the QQ is nice. The features (cruise control, handsfree, reverse camera, 8 inch display, GPS etc) are quite impressive for a vehicle of this class. For the Vezel, the instrumentation level is very much dependent on the PI or the salesman.

3. Purchasing Experience - There is only one authorised dealer (Tan Chong) selling the QQ but there are many, many parallel importers selling the Vezel. There are reports of PIs taking your deposit but taking their sweet time or unable to secure the COE or deliver your car. Some ask you to pay up more than the deposit and run away with your money. We always compare prices but it seems that the cheaper the PI, the higher the risk. For QQ, you have no choice but to suck thumb and buy from TC and follow their procedure. Thankfully, they have been quite responsible so far. Pay $10,000 deposit, they bid for COE immediately. When COE secured and car ready, you pay balance and collect car. For PIs, there is a certain amount of risk.

4. Maintenance & Repair - Regardless of the make or model, cars can and will break down or have issues once in a while. PIs only sell, they subcontract the maintenance and repair to independent workshops, who repair all kinds of vehicles. Just to be clear, i actually think the mechanics in these workshops are generally more experienced and knowledgeable than those in the AD workshops, who normally go by the book. However, many modern cars are controlled by computers and software. It is not possible for these outside workshops to always keep up with the equipment, technology or software. You just need to follow the Vezel facebook page to see that there are some issues (display panel lights up like xmas lights for no reason, warning in japanese language comes on etc) where many workshops not sure what to do. But for TC, they have no choice. They better know what to do.

5. Uber - Lion City Rental bought many Vezels to rent out as Uber cars. You can see many of them on the road. On Vezel facebook, you can read some drivers complaining that they were mistaken for Uber cars. Amusing to some, but I would not want to be in that position. Thankfully, I have yet to see any Uber QQ.

6. Price - There seems to be an impression that the QQ is more expensive. Actually, the prices of the Vezel and the QQ1.2T are very close.

At the end of the day, you have to check out both your cars and decide for yourself. You may have different considerations. You may prefer the Vezel.

1) I agree, of course it is just my opinion.

2) I also agree

3) Yes and No, more means better deal and so many in the market also mean PI are as reliable.

4) Can agree, and I usually don't go back to agent after the free service anyway.

5) Yes just too many. Hope there is new FL soon and better be different.

6) Although they are almost priced similarly the QQ is only 1.2 with turbo. No sure if can consider the same or should match against the 2,0 version?

I don't has good impression of NIssan because of my old sunny. But from my 'inspection' of the QQ, quality seem much better. I think it is a close fight with Honda winning by a toe if the QQ is 1.2.

Vezels/HRVs with aftermarket bodykits look very fierce.

Please bear in mind these go slower bits will make a car which is already underpowered even slower.. 

Otherwise you end up doing what quite a few QQ owners do:

Mod the car with go slower bits, add parts that weigh an already heavy car down, then seek solutions to make it go faster, and potentially void the warranty..

After adding up all the costs, you may be better off with a larger engine car, like a Forester NA or XT, which may actually give you better FC.

Better FC ??? You will quickly reply I am wrong but a light car with a small engine gives good FC, a heavy laden car (like a Vezel with an extra 100kg of parts) will have to work harder with the small engine and end up using more petrol.

Cheers

Edited by therock
  • Praise 1

Please bear in mind these go slower bits will make a car which is already underpowered even slower..

Mod the car with go slower bits, add parts that weigh an already heavy car down, then seek solutions to make it go faster, and potentially void the warranty..

After adding up all the costs, you may be better off with a larger engine car, like a Forester NA or XT, which may actually give you better FC.

Better FC ??? You will quickly reply I am wrong but a light car with a small engine gives good FC, a heavy laden car (like a Vezel with an extra 100kg of parts) will have to work harder with the small engine and end up using more petrol.

Cheers

I agree that increasing the weight will worsen the FC. However, there are those who, regardless of brands or make, etc, will still mod the cars.

I know ppl who buy Protons and mod like no tmr and also a Forester driver who installed coilovers and chipped up.

I mentioned about the bodykits as a comparison to the cars' aesthetics. Anyway, i dont think the addons are that heavy bah. Mostly plastics.

Cheers

When you hear the word turbo in the past, you would expect the turbo car to run faster than normal NA cars. These days turbos are fitted to cars just to get tiny engines to keep up with normal cars on the road without turbo.
  • Praise 1

Quote from new QQ1.2 owner (dash1234):

"Just now got into the car, pressed the 'Start/Stop' button, ignition came on, immediately shifted the gear to 'D' from park. The whole car just 'shut down' at the very instant. This is the first time l encounter such a scenario after so many months of driving.

Could it be battery dying soon?"

Errrr....should this happen to a new car?

Edited by LPPL

Good choice bro! Test drive as well. Only thing is that XV HU is outdated. No GPS and no video. AWD drive well!

Have Video as-is but unfortunately, safety feature is that video can only play when car is at standstill.

Can be by-passed if you hunt on internet on which wires to modify but for your own safety, not advisable.

GPS is available as an upgrade but most of time, no point to use HU for GPS as HU position in most cars not ideal for GPS use as danger to driving when look down at HU to see the map.  Unless car is Mazda or Merz, BMW etc where HU is at a pop-up position.

Have Video as-is but unfortunately, safety feature is that video can only play when car is at standstill.

Can be by-passed if you hunt on internet on which wires to modify but for your own safety, not advisable.

GPS is available as an upgrade but most of time, no point to use HU for GPS as HU position in most cars not ideal for GPS use as danger to driving when look down at HU to see the map.  Unless car is Mazda or Merz, BMW etc where HU is at a pop-up position.

My android 10.2 inche which good enough for me!

post-26614-0-35354900-1483409555_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-06551400-1483409564_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-76888900-1483409570_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

I thought with HU GPS ,we can use the car speaker to listen the road directions instead of looking?

I thought with HU GPS ,we can use the car speaker to listen the road directions instead of looking?

Yes, most of the time.  But some tricky junctions still need to look (e.g. which lane to be in on a highway in order to filter to correct split in a Y junction etc).  Otherwise, all the GPS won't even bother to show the map and just show a blank screen.

My android 10.2 inche which good enough for me!

Nice looking screen but conti cars plus Mazda's better placed from a safety perspective.  They are pop-up above the dash board - no need to look down to see what is on the screen.  When eye is on the screen, can still have a view of the road ahead.

Post by foker regarding his QQ1.2: "Made several reports when I first collected my car in Jan 16.

So finally the technician taught me... almost the same method.

Apply handbrake, shift the gear to N momentarily before moving it to P.

He explained that there is this "safety catch" thing that cause this difficulty in moving to D the next time...

Once u move to N, the catch will release..."

I have driven so many cars and never encountered something so troublesome.

Post by foker regarding his QQ1.2: "Made several reports when I first collected my car in Jan 16.

So finally the technician taught me... almost the same method.

Apply handbrake, shift the gear to N momentarily before moving it to P.

He explained that there is this "safety catch" thing that cause this difficulty in moving to D the next time...

Once u move to N, the catch will release..."

I have driven so many cars and never encountered something so troublesome.

LPPL,

Since you are so anti QQ, why are you monitoring the QQ thread so closely?

Can you just get lost and carry on your peaceful life without QQ?!!!

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

LPPL,

Why are you monitoring what I post if you don't like it? You must be one of my fans without you knowing....lol
  • Dislike 1

LPPL,

Bro, give up la.... Dont need to waste your time....

Anyway, on Vezel FB also have issues... battery flat.... the recall BBC module from Japan havent done by PI.... aircon suddenly become low....

Just be happy with your ride and move on....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1