2015 Peugeot 308SW

Tohto

(edited)

Just 2 days after I wrote that my sister in law loves her 9 yr old Peugeot 407, it tried to kill her!

Don't know the technical fault that caused this (or maybe the car was possessed) but she lost control of the car coming home. The throttle was stuck and braking barely slowed the car down. She ran the front left tyre into to a curb (bursting it) to slow it down and managed to cut the engine off.

It was towed off after that.

Will ask her if they manage to figure out what happened or if they needed to exorcise the car.

She's keen to change car now....! [laugh]

Edited by Hotnyh
  • Praise 1

This sounds like a gearbox problem; has your sister-in-law ever reconditioned or replaced the 407 gearbox after 9 years. To be objective the 407 gearbox and the new 308 gearbox are totally different.

• Praise 1

Dunno if she has had work done for her gearbox. I think the car went to Antz workshop (ex Autofrance head service guy).

Dunno if she has had work done for her gearbox. I think the car went to Antz workshop (ex Autofrance head service guy).

two words...oh my...

cant expect much from someone sitting behind a desk for 10 years to be able to do mechanic work

• Praise 1

This sounds like a gearbox problem; has your sister-in-law ever reconditioned or replaced the 407 gearbox after 9 years. To be objective the 407 gearbox and the new 308 gearbox are totally different.

A gearbox only transfer the engine's power to the wheels, it cannot cause unintended acceleration or an inability to slow the car down.

• Praise 2

Modern engine has a fail safe funtion for stuck accelerator, it work when one depress brake pedal. Engine goes to idle once both pedal depression is detected.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Have you guys ride on a French taxi? Its renault latitude. Why would a commercial firm take such risk if maintenance cost is high ?

Latitude are made in Korea.

In Korean are sold as Samsung SM5. It is a joint design between Renault, Samsung and Nissan.

Third generation. Engine should be from Nissan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_SM5

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

Maybe my family was just lucky. We had a Renault megane and recently sent it to the scrap yard.

In past 10 years of ownership, most expensive fix is the aircon compressor and ignition coil. Other than that it's wear n tear parts like disc brakes,spark plugs and power windows.

Oh ya, the mileage is 190k when it was sent to the scrapyard.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Latitude are made in Korea.

In Korean are sold as Samsung SM5. It is a joint design between Renault, Samsung and Nissan.

Third generation. Engine should be from Nissan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_SM5

Makes me wonder if the second hand Laguna is good idea... since the platform/engine is based on Nissan Teana

• Praise 1

I own 307sw. It is 9 yrs old. We love its design,comfort, strong body and powerful power brake.

My biggest mistake is not taking care the engine cool system. Now I know I shall flush radiator every 20000km.

French car dislike gentle driver. Its wild beast. It have to charge. If you always driver at low RPM. Throttle always open little bit. One day turn sticky. And engine will turn sleepy. Suddenly cut off.

Besides throttle caskets have to replace. Which may prevent the engine suddenly sleep.

My family love our 307sw. We were considering 308sw.

308sw puretech engine sound good. We hope to hear more from owners

Thank

• Praise 3

I own 307sw. It is 9 yrs old. We love its design,comfort, strong body and powerful power brake.

My biggest mistake is not taking care the engine cool system. Now I know I shall flush radiator every 20000km.

French car dislike gentle driver. Its wild beast. It have to charge. If you always driver at low RPM. Throttle always open little bit. One day turn sticky. And engine will turn sleepy. Suddenly cut off.

Besides throttle caskets have to replace. Which may prevent the engine suddenly sleep.

Thank

gasket you mean........ :meaw:

• Praise 2

I drive 207 now and plan to change 308SW (and other candidates such as Vezel, Qashqai or Harrier - SUV series)

The leg room and all specs (many good functions, such as head-up intrustment, TPMS, cruise and etc..........) of 308SW are perfect but width is normal and no rear sear A/C is a minus.

Current promotion price (113k with 3yr servicing, 5yr warranty) is OK (without promotion is unaceptable)

As to reliability, so far 207 (6+ yrs) is so good, only one time lose power during start (during 2 yrs, warranty period), change battery then ok.

Gas pump failure at 6+ yrs (herad is common issue for peugeot). Others no problem.

Thomas and partners is an expert of peugeot, so "outsourcing" is no problm after warranty :)

Plan to change end of this year but not sure why still lack of "last push" ???

Anyway, 308SW is good looking, good spec for me.

Thank

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1