Another food scare

Donut

In Singapore, I read that we test only about 5% of food we import for suitability for human consumption. What about the 95% ..........

95% is for you and me to find out. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Random checks, so random findings, all by chance and we have to depend on chance

maybe the best way is not to stay with 1 brand for too long, rotate around

bec duration of exposure is more important than once off contact  

In Singapore, I read that we test only about 5% of food we import for suitability for human consumption. What about the 95% ..........

• Praise 3

My office ah tiong bu keeps buying foodstuff from China and gives out to almost everyone when she comes back from shandong. Once she bought packets of mongolia milk packed by mengniu. All the foodstuff will inadvertably end up in the trash, no one dares to consume. Scary![sweatdrop]

Actually I don't..... Not at all...

Actually there's a lot of mic products.

But I'm more tolerant towards some things.

Most mee sua is from China. The cheapest macaroni (maicar) is also from China.

Almost all the cooking wine in Sg is from China. Most fermented products are from China as well. Chicken stock. Chicken stock cubes. All mic.

I saw this very cute cultured milk drink at ntuc last week. Its like yakult bottles with doraemon wrapping. Almost wanted to buy for my kid. Then saw its from China lol.

luncheon meat .... china china china

who do not eat luncheon meat

only god knows how they produce luncheon meat with what's not mixes and grind grind grind [sweatdrop]

CNY is coming ... a lot of goodies sold in supermarket are MIC

Edited by Wt_know

My office ah tiong bu keeps buying foodstuff from China and gives out to almost everyone when she comes back from shandong. Once she bought packets of mongolia milk packed by mengniu. All the foodstuff will inadvertably end up in the trash, no one dares to consume. Scary![sweatdrop]

Ha. That's quite sad. But buying 土产 always have this problem. Not to everyone taste and also fear if it's being kept too long etc.

only god knows how they produce luncheon meat with what's not mixes and grind grind grind [sweatdrop]

Not possible to avoid mic lah. All your dried shitake 香菇, dried scallops are all from China.

The Jap ones are much more expensive.

I don't eat luncheon meat actually lol

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Actually there's a lot of mic products.

But I'm more tolerant towards some things.

Most mee sua is from China. The cheapest macaroni (maicar) is also from China.

Almost all the cooking wine in Sg is from China. Most fermented products are from China as well. Chicken stock. Chicken stock cubes. All mic.

I saw this very cute cultured milk drink at ntuc last week. Its like yakult bottles with doraemon wrapping. Almost wanted to buy for my kid. Then saw its from China lol.

yeah, but i always read the labels before buying.   We even have China pork meat found in our wet markets. cheapest among all pork meat.

I dont take any ready to eat seasoning or stock. Hardly any fermented products too, except for some salted vegetables, which i think should be locally made or from malaysia. 

but we need to be abit more realistic.  Eat at home, we can control the ingredients.  But if we eat outside, we have no control,  And i suspect alot of stalls or atas resturants are using Made in china food products, for the cheapest cost. 

Even Skippy Peanut Butter is made in China. I dont buy this. I buy PeterPan brand, Made in USA, at the same price!!  

I dont eat any luncheon meat.  Who say everyone eat luncheon meat? 

Talking about luncheon meat, its good for everyone here to know that we have local made luncheon meat.  yes, its made in Singapore.  But i can't remember the brand.  Colleagues told me.  Can buy from NTUC or other supermarkets.

• Praise 1

yeah, but i always read the labels before buying.   We even have China pork meat found in our wet markets. cheapest among all pork meat.

I dont take any ready to eat seasoning or stock. Hardly any fermented products too, except for some salted vegetables, which i think should be locally made or from malaysia. 

but we need to be abit more realistic.  Eat at home, we can control the ingredients.  But if we eat outside, we have no control,  And i suspect alot of stalls or atas resturants are using Made in china food products, for the cheapest cost. 

Even Skippy Peanut Butter is made in China. I dont buy this. I buy PeterPan brand, Made in USA, at the same price!!  

Bro, I just found out this yesterday . . . after finishing 3 bottles of skippy  [grin]

Bought peter pan too! [laugh]

Talking about luncheon meat, its good for everyone here to know that we have local made luncheon meat.  yes, its made in Singapore.  But i can't remember the brand.  Colleagues told me.  Can buy from NTUC or other supermarkets.

have made in singapore one (tried once and it is a tad salty) but for luncheon meat it is not about where it is made in . . . best to avoid processed meat.

• Praise 1

golden bridge brand 金桥牌, same as the taiwan sausage one. 

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Bro, I just found out this yesterday . . . after finishing 3 bottles of skippy  [grin]

Bought peter pan too! [laugh]

have made in singapore one (tried once and it is a tad salty) but for luncheon meat it is not about where it is made in . . . best to avoid processed meat.

see lah... never read labels....  :grin:

its ok, u r still alive and kicking

Yes, best to avoid all processed meat, including those gourmet high class ham...... all contains high levels of salt and chemicals. 

yeah, but i always read the labels before buying. We even have China pork meat found in our wet markets. cheapest among all pork meat.

but we need to be abit more realistic. Eat at home, we can control the ingredients. But if we eat outside, we have no control, And i suspect alot of stalls or atas resturants are using Made in china food products, for the cheapest cost.

I dont eat any luncheon meat. Who say everyone eat luncheon meat?

Talking about luncheon meat, its good for everyone here to know that we have local made luncheon meat. yes, its made in Singapore. But i can't remember the brand. Colleagues told me. Can buy from NTUC or other supermarkets.

Everything I buy, I read the labels.

No point in being too paranoid. Just avoid when possible.

Almost all Chinese herbs or Tcm herbs come from China.

Just try to avoid milk, meat and fish from China lor. Vegetables also bit difficult. Some still come from China. Example 奶白。the Sg hydroponics one taste is no good lol.

see lah... never read labels.... :grin:

its ok, u r still alive and kicking

Yes, best to avoid all processed meat, including those gourmet high class ham...... all contains high levels of salt and chemicals.

Nah. If u want to eat. Only eat the sibei Tok gong taste one lol. Then worth it. Haha.

Like my ham for Xmas. That's really ham heaven.

• Praise 2

Prime supermarket has a farm agri farm in china, students who visit china will probably been to their farm. Singapore get veg and pork (small % of total consumption here) from them under a strict control i believe. 

Supercharged

Another thing is the frozen food that are sold in supermarkets like frozon scallops, oysters, fish, dumplings etc. I realise many come from China now.

Another thing is the frozen food that are sold in supermarkets like frozon scallops, oysters, fish, dumplings etc. I realise many come from China now.

I saw some frozen scallops labelled as from japan.. but packed in china.. dunno can trust or not..

↡ Advertisement