ANCAP / NCAP - Most of Cat A Car lacks safety Features

titarium

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware or know of the safety features of the car of choice being offered in SG ?

• Yes - No further opinion
    • No - No further opinion
    • I just realise ... like 5 minutes ago
    • I know but there's isn't any other choice
    • I don't know & don't really care
    • Driving in SG only , way below speed limit , so not my concern
    • Aiming mostly Cat B or luxury series, so not much of a concern
    • Other opinion

Globally well known for it's expensive cars , but in the safety department it is still far off from what is tested as standard.

Looking into Passenger safety NCAP & ANCAP test are conducted on various cars , achieving 4 / 5 Stars had became a mile stone for car manufacturers to achieve.

It is not certain how many car buyers do pay attention to this detail , or there are buyer just skim through.

Focusing in Cat A vehicle most of the Cars sold are "suppose" to achieve 5 star rating , even a small size vehicle like Honda Jazz is able to achieve it .

ANCAP = https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/5-star

Euro NCAP =http://www.euroncap.com/

But here comes the bad news , in order to achieve 5 Stars most of the following criteria or features are install as standard :

• Dual frontal, side chest, and side head-protecting airbags (curtains) for the 1st and 2nd row are standard.
  • Antilock brakes (ABS)
  • electronic brake distribution (EBD)
  • electronic stability control (ESC)
  • hill launch assist and reversing collision avoidance are also standard*
  • Advanced seat belt reminders are fitted to all seats.*

* Clarification require

Quite a number of favorite brands comes basic only with 2 airbags , some even without ESC.

Paying so much for a car but still lacking in such detail is quite disappointing .

We may have a world class ERP system , TOP notch COE system to control number vehicle on the road , Closing on new implementation on Carbon emission , but still a league way behind in terms of Car safety standards.

Really hope LTA and even AD collaborate hand in hand to increase our car safety standard while maintaining a reasonable pricing across the board . Not just focusing on COE , car margin while neglecting on the safety features .
↡ Advertisement

I feel the usage know-how and support are more important else it render these safety features ineffective.

I have read about a car with ESP but it didn't prevent a crash.

Also, the choice of tyres, tyre pressure and where to put only 2 new tyres while simple, can have drastic safety effects.

Well since when our ministers care for the consumer well being?

Car safety features are the last things those people in LTA worry about; they are busy doing research and writing papers on new avenues to collect more money for the government, this being the recipe for salary increment and promotion.

One example is the recent unthinkable hike in petrol tax - the smart alec who proposed this is assured of bright career propsects along with handsome bonus.

• Praise 4

I feel the usage know-how and support are more important else it render these safety features ineffective.

I have read about a car with ESP but it didn't prevent a crash.

Also, the choice of tyres, tyre pressure and where to put only 2 new tyres while simple, can have drastic safety effects.

Safety build up by various aspect combine together .

Safety features highlighted are factory fitted , where else those you have given are users's responsibility & behavior which are prevented through education, maintenance and precautions.

Factory fitted are those you cant change once the car is out of factory , even you can it besides very high cost it will also involve mingling with other aspect of the vehicle : ECU , harness , sensors ... etc etc

When they add in the features they probably sell u at 130k instead of 100k.

I only can quote Kia K3 at the moment EX and SX version , diff is 10k besides the additional airbags of course with other fancy features , but amazingly the OMV diff is 3.6k.

if this is made compulsory then all cars imported in must have the basic safety features as per those European country , before it is allowed to be imported in.

Then there's isn't argument against it .

In my opinion safety is much important than keyless entry , HID , moon roof , front sensor , rear view camera ... etc etc.

Safety features highlighted are factory fitted , where else those you have given are users's responsibility & behavior which are prevented through education, maintenance and precautions.

Factory fitted are those you cant change once the car is out of factory , even you can it besides very high cost it will also involve mingling with other aspect of the vehicle : ECU , harness , sensors ... etc etc

IMHO, the prevention is not happening. If that is happening, there won't be this thread.

competition will be closer among car brands as the bars are raised , so the price diff is really on the added features, accessories, turbo , eco boost , engine sizes... at least paying such a high price for cars in SG the safety aspect are well taken off, now felt like being short change .

Well unless we move on to Cat B vehicle

Definitely bro. I would say features like EBD, ESP goes hand in hand wif the ABS while side air bags are great to haf in the event of a side impact.

To think LTA's stand on aftermarket HIDs are a hazard while the lack of the above isnt

I only can quote Kia K3 at the moment EX and SX version , diff is 10k besides the additional airbags of course with other fancy features , but amazingly the OMV diff is 3.6k.

if this is made compulsory then all cars imported in must have the basic safety features as per those European country , before it is allowed to be imported in.

Then there's isn't argument against it .

In my opinion safety is much important than keyless entry , HID , moon roof , front sensor , rear view camera ... etc etc.

• Praise 2

Well time to get rid of the ARF. This is what prevents distributors from adding all these extra features.

Actually if the car price drops due to elimination of ARF, then COE will rise correspondingly so that overall car price remains. Govt still win.

Why a straightfoward purchase like a car need to attract so many different taxes? E.g. customs, GST, ARF, COE, fuel tax, road tax, ERP....

• Praise 3

You see how long they took and what it took for them to finally add ONE airbag in comfort teksi...

And you look at the attitude of car buyers...buyers will lapping up cars with 0-2 airbags, no vehicle stabilisation etc.

That kinda tells you the mindset.

So you can't blame the car dealers. If they fail to sell a single car with only 2 or 1 airbags or 0 airbags by end Jun 2015, confirm by end July, all new cars sold will have passenger airbags auto included.

competition will be closer among car brands as the bars are raised , so the price diff is really on the added features, accessories, turbo , eco boost , engine sizes... at least paying such a high price for cars in SG the safety aspect are well taken off, now felt like being short change .

I have long realized this but to date, it still puzzles me somehow.

Safety is of paramount importance and yet these basic safety features, which are standard items for the same brands and models overseas, are not included for our local drive. Ironically, we are paying more here in Singapore than overseas.

I can't accept some of the justifications which I have heard, one being that Singapore is small whilst other countries are bigger and cars are moving at faster speed in those bigger countries than Singapore. While this might hold some water, but in my opinion, it is still not sufficient to justify the lack of or absence of the safety features.

I would have love some of our favourite brands to include these safety features for the sake of driver/owner, his/her passengers and fellow road users though the most important thing at the end of the day is still safe driving.

i think show them the video of hiphiphooray's sonata accident at the car dealership...

I remember when my dad bought his G8 corolla. I remember stoning in the honda and toyota showrooms and they keep looping the crash test videos of the civic and the corolla.

Haha now never show liao.

Okie... my car only has 4 airbags. Better diam diam...

Edited by Lala81

For me, safety aspect is paramount as I'm a family man.

When I set out to search for a replacement ride recently, I listed the following as key:

- price (most important)

- safety

- reliability

- warranty/free servicing etc

- features

- design

Note, not looking at euro rides, due to concern on reliability. Only looking at Japanese and Korean brands.

With this, I ended up with the Subaru XV [laugh] .

• Praise 1

But here comes the bad news , in order to achieve 5 Stars most of the following criteria or features are install as standard :

• Dual frontal, side chest, and side head-protecting airbags (curtains) for the 1st and 2nd row are standard.
  • Antilock brakes (ABS)
  • electronic brake distribution (EBD)
  • electronic stability control (ESC)
  • hill launch assist and reversing collision avoidance are also standard*
  • Advanced seat belt reminders are fitted to all seats.*

* Clarification require

Quite a number of favorite brands comes basic only with 2 airbags , some even without ESC.

Paying so much for a car but still lacking in such detail is quite disappointing .

We may have a world class ERP system , TOP notch COE system to control number vehicle on the road , Closing on new implementation on Carbon emission , but still a league way behind in terms of Car safety standards.

Really hope LTA and even AD collaborate hand in hand to increase our car safety standard while maintaining a reasonable pricing across the board . Not just focusing on COE , car margin while neglecting on the safety features .

I think this is not applicable for Singapore,

Singapore a small city, max speed limit 90km/h unless you speeding,

More airbags, ABS ESC etc normally for highways protection, like US speed limit 120km/h, but always driving 180Km/h above, Germany no speed limit,

I think this is not applicable for Singapore,

Singapore a small city, max speed limit 90km/h unless you speeding,

More airbags, ABS ESC etc normally for highways protection, like US speed limit 120km/h, but always driving 180Km/h above, Germany no speed limit,

Disagree.

All NCAP are tested at 60km/h. Does it correlate to higher speed limit in other countries?

I used to drive BMW 520 manufactured in 2002. It already has 8 airbags.

BMW 520 body is so rigid that when it hits Perodua Kenari, that Kenari looks like runover by a lorry. This is an aftermath of an accident i saw in Malaysia.

Lastly, my Cat A car has 8 airbags.

• Praise 1

i think show them the video of hiphiphooray's sonata accident at the car dealership...

I remember when my dad bought his G8 corolla. I remember stoning in the honda and toyota showrooms and they keep looping the crash test videos of the civic and the corolla.

Haha now never show liao.

Okie... my car only has 4 airbags. Better diam diam...

2 for front pax and 2 for rear seat pax?

Lastly, my Cat A car has 8 airbags.

What's your ride?

↡ Advertisement