New 5th Generation Honda Stepwagon

Carbon82

We are too considering Spada Stepwagon due to its lower cc engine which will yield savings in road tax, petrol consumption and insurance, versus the 2L Biante and Toyotà Triples.

Don't be surprise if Honda insurance is higher than Biante and Triplets (esp. if you are a not-so-old driver) ! If all three factors are important to you, then consider the triplet hybrids. Same system as the Prius. Proven. And the hybrid specs/features are even higher than the gasoline -powered Esquire Gi grade. And there will likely be more triplets than SW on the roads.

↡ Advertisement

Hi Philosurfer

Good to hear your feedback on the new StepWGN and your good experience with your Edix. And congrats for booking the Spada! BTW can you PM me which PI did you order and the price please? Which color did you choose? I was looking at silver or that unique Spada purple.

Yes I'm also looking at the Spada hopefully in a few months time when my current ride is expiring.

Like you I shortlisted the triplets in particular interested in the Voxy ZS. To be honest with the dress up it is very tempting!

I was doing lots of research on the triplets in the past months until the new StepWGN launched in Apr this year. I was also considering Honda Jade until i see it is a 6 seater and doesn't suit my needs.

I think Honda cars are typically slightly more expensive than Toyota. This is already so evident when you compare Stream and Wish, Civic and Altis, City and Vios .....dunno why but maybe Toyota has the scale so can drive cost down.

I've also considered few areas of concern initially but later felt it should be alright.

1) Rare (as of now), but I think the 2 key features of this car should be drawing a little more crowd than the previous verison 1) Waku Waku door is pretty useful 2) factory Turbo VTEC engine - good torque, fuel efficiency and road tax.

2) Long term servicing. If PI can give 5 years warranty than i guess it is enough already. Some brothers here may be afraid of Turbo engine maintenance but I personally felt it is ok. Think Subaru WRX, Legacy GT & EVO has been the longest Japanese Turbo engine used here, just to name a few....there is no lack of workshop knowing how to service turbo engine. Don't talk about 3rd party workshop whom has skill to service continental cars with Turbo. Honda cars reliability is on par with Toyota and easily maintain so I'm fine. Look at this advise on new car....http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=262

3) Experience with PI. Just have more fair share...I bought my previous 1st gen Wish from Vin**r back in 2004. Their appointed workshop is MB**. So far so good. They even helped me to repair 2 parts due to a global recall for free. One of it is the aircon compressor. So I guess stick to the bigger PI with good reputation and you are safe. They are now one of my shortlisted PI if I should go for the StepWGN or another PI car.

All previous StepWGN didn't impress me much until this version.I've gathered some useful info here for those who are considering this new MPV too.

Some reviews from the popular Japanese Website "response.jp"

So the suspension to the Spada versus the normal StepWGN has some tweak and the handling is better. This is the same as Stream RSZ versus normal Stream as we know before. looking at 7K difference between the G version versus Spada, i think it is worth to buy the Spada in addition to more options available.

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/05/18/251479.html

Ride feedback

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/05/25/251953.html

Spada Cool Spirit (we don't have this model here, just some more additonal options like paddle shift)

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/06/09/253043.html

A bit in depth on the 1.5 L (L15B) Turbo VTEC engine (peak torque across wide range from 1600-5000rpm , good especially for uphill)

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/05/05/250481.html

Many more to read just google "response.jp honda stepwgn spada".

Look at this video, you will like it [;)]

http://www.honda.co.jp/movie/201505/funtodrive02/

I've also attached the differences between different version here, Spada, Spada Cool Spirit etc. It is in Jap though but you can at least see the picture.

• Praise 1

We booked a unit from Vincar, warranty is 5 yrs free labour or 100k km, whichever comes first from their appointed workshop. While their prices may not be the cheapest, everything is clear what you pay for.

Guaranteed COE together with good/professional sales service and a good workshop to handle after sales. Think they still have a silver and white spada ex-stock for quicker delivery. I think the silver unit looks great and requires low maintenance. Since we wanted a 8 seater unit, we had to order it in the colour we liked (blue). If you don't take an ex-stock unit, you will need to factor in a 3-4mth wait for your ride. The purple is a spada only signature colour and I think looks stunning. [bounce1]

http://www.mugen-power.com/automobile/products/stepwgn/parts/02.html

With these low volume cars, parts like panels and such will always be an issue in terms of stocking. Even with the sales of the Toyota minivans, I don't see how workshops will stock those items. The only PI vehicles which will more likely have parts stocked up will be Vezel, Harrier and older ones like estima. I had 2 minor fender benders before but dent removal/respray was as good as new. A good reputable PI workshop will be able to mitigate this somewhat. Only the Biante will come with AD support.

All said, the Toyota minivans remain an extremely attractive alternative in this segment. Pricing wise, they're more competitive with slightly larger user base. I've figured out the difference in interior space as the Toyota Triplets have flatter side panels, giving more headroom in terms of width whereas the stepwgn has slightly tapered windows.

Stepwgn has the edge in road tax, better/flatter torque curve due to turbo, possibly fuel efficiency. Toyota minivans win in space, have good fuel efficiency and have a bigger community. Biante wins in parts support and the best 3rd row comfort. Looks wise, to each his own.

kteo - thanks for the links, haven't read those articles before. The vtec turbos will be the mainstream engines for honda going forward so I'm sure parts/servicing for mechanical components will not be any issue.

Hope my sharing as alleviated some of the concerns, the Stepwgn sales has overtaken that of the Esquire in June in Japan though the Toyota Minivans have been amazingly successful through the 3 versions over the past year. Whatever the case, more variety in the options of cars is always a good thing!

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2015/07/japan-june-2015-facelifted-toyota-corolla-confirms-2-spot/

really helpful information you've got there.

I went to v***ar that day the sales man was telling me 8 airbags, i thot he was smoking me.

one concern is the lack of spare tyres, will this cause an issue especially during road trips?

you've review has gave me a confidence boost on stepwgn, i have to make up my mind only early next year as my ride expiring next sept. however, if the offer is good, might as well go for it..

Hi Philosurfer

Good to hear your feedback on the new StepWGN and your good experience with your Edix. And congrats for booking the Spada! BTW can you PM me which PI did you order and the price please? Which color did you choose? I was looking at silver or that unique Spada purple.

Yes I'm also looking at the Spada hopefully in a few months time when my current ride is expiring.

Like you I shortlisted the triplets in particular interested in the Voxy ZS. To be honest with the dress up it is very tempting!

I was doing lots of research on the triplets in the past months until the new StepWGN launched in Apr this year. I was also considering Honda Jade until i see it is a 6 seater and doesn't suit my needs.

I think Honda cars are typically slightly more expensive than Toyota. This is already so evident when you compare Stream and Wish, Civic and Altis, City and Vios .....dunno why but maybe Toyota has the scale so can drive cost down.

I've also considered few areas of concern initially but later felt it should be alright.

1) Rare (as of now), but I think the 2 key features of this car should be drawing a little more crowd than the previous verison 1) Waku Waku door is pretty useful 2) factory Turbo VTEC engine - good torque, fuel efficiency and road tax.

2) Long term servicing. If PI can give 5 years warranty than i guess it is enough already. Some brothers here may be afraid of Turbo engine maintenance but I personally felt it is ok. Think Subaru WRX, Legacy GT & EVO has been the longest Japanese Turbo engine used here, just to name a few....there is no lack of workshop knowing how to service turbo engine. Don't talk about 3rd party workshop whom has skill to service continental cars with Turbo. Honda cars reliability is on par with Toyota and easily maintain so I'm fine. Look at this advise on new car....http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=262

3) Experience with PI. Just have more fair share...I bought my previous 1st gen Wish from Vin**r back in 2004. Their appointed workshop is MB**. So far so good. They even helped me to repair 2 parts due to a global recall for free. One of it is the aircon compressor. So I guess stick to the bigger PI with good reputation and you are safe. They are now one of my shortlisted PI if I should go for the StepWGN or another PI car.

All previous StepWGN didn't impress me much until this version.I've gathered some useful info here for those who are considering this new MPV too.

Some reviews from the popular Japanese Website "response.jp"

So the suspension to the Spada versus the normal StepWGN has some tweak and the handling is better. This is the same as Stream RSZ versus normal Stream as we know before. looking at 7K difference between the G version versus Spada, i think it is worth to buy the Spada in addition to more options available.

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/05/18/251479.html

Ride feedback

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/05/25/251953.html

Spada Cool Spirit (we don't have this model here, just some more additonal options like paddle shift)

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/06/09/253043.html

A bit in depth on the 1.5 L (L15B) Turbo VTEC engine (peak torque across wide range from 1600-5000rpm , good especially for uphill)

http://en.responsejp.com/article/2015/05/05/250481.html

Many more to read just google "response.jp honda stepwgn spada".

Look at this video, you will like it [;)]

http://www.honda.co.jp/movie/201505/funtodrive02/

I've also attached the differences between different version here, Spada, Spada Cool Spirit etc. It is in Jap though but you can at least see the picture.

Hey Emkay

No worries I was searching more info on it because I was really interested in this minivan. Great to see more people discussing this and considering this ride. To be honest I was not 100% comfortable initially although I drove PI Wish which has a mass market here.

Looking at the trend where there is no Honda Stream replacement which I initially hoped for, looks like these boxy minivan is getting into the trend in Singapore. In Japan, it has been for years. When I have Japanese staffs few years back, I asked why they like such car even for married couple without kids. One of my staffs said it is good to travel around on roads and they can stop anywhere (in country side), sleep in the car (quite comfortably) with 2nd and 3rd row folded down, and have their barang barang, pets etc. Another of my staffs tore down 2nd/3rd seats on his older StepWGN to house a Honda racing motorbike [:p] That was extreme!

It is strange, after i looked at triplets, StepWGN, Biante etc. i felt family with young and older kids will benefit from the space of such boxy minivan. Maybe I'm old liao! haha!

Regarding the spare tyre, looks like a trend now....many now comes with tyre repair kit...Touran, Qashqai and many more.

Hi Philosurfer

Ok so pretty much the same for warranty as AD. yes looking at the metallic blue, it is nice [:p]

BTW is 8 seater cheaper than 7? I read this is the case for many other like Ody since 2nd row is those captain like seat.

So your order will take 3-4 months?

What you've mentioned regarding the spares maintained by PI versus AD is true...just drive slowly and be careful. I was hoping this current StepWGN will can more popular with Steam no longer in the market and make it easier to get parts in near future.

In most models, the 7 seater is more expensive than the 8 seater due to higher spec captain seats. In this case, it's unusual but the 8 seater is priced $1k more than the 7 seater.

As I earlier mentioned, the 3rd row isn't great for 3 pax but is comfortable for 2. Since there's the innovative Waku Waku gate for 3rd row access, we went for the 8 seater for 2-3-2 seating configuration. It's an important consideration for us as my wife is the one who potentially has to take that middle seat when fully loaded.

Of the minivans, I think only the Biante can handle 3 pax in the rear bench for longer distances. For short distances, all models are ok as leg room is fine, only bum room. For the bigger MPV's, the best 3 seater rear bench is in the Elgrand.

3-4 months is the standard shipment time for indent vehicles. Can of course come a little earlier but better the PI doesn't over-promise.

• Praise 1

Yes, it's a secret, I have had hatched, sedan, SUV over the years and I'm driving a 07 (reg 06) Stepwagon for the last 3 years, both me and my family now won't give up the space. My friends say I drive a hippo but it's a secret they will never understand until one drives one and enjoy the lifestyle benefit.

It is strange, after i looked at triplets, StepWGN, Biante etc. i felt family with young and older kids will benefit from the space of such boxy minivan. Maybe I'm old liao! haha!

• Praise 3

Yes, it's a secret, I have had hatched, sedan, SUV over the years and I'm driving a 07 (reg 06) Stepwagon for the last 3 years, both me and my family now won't give up the space. My friends say I drive a hippo but it's a secret they will never understand until one drives one and enjoy the lifestyle benefit.

Not only the space. Once you drive an MPV with sliding doors, you will likely not go back to the traditional hinged rear doors again. Sliding doors are just so practical!

• Praise 1

So far been to 3 PI to view this car already. The more I see it, the more I love it.

Now waiting for the time to take the plunge.

When i started taking notice of this car, only 2 PI brought it in. Now there is a total of 8. Hoped it can sell like hotcakes like Vezel. That will give us more options to compare in terms of price competitiveness.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The Honda Step WGN marks a new chapter in turbocharging.

FOR the longest time, Honda embraced the naturally aspirated petrol engine, with its larger displacement to achieve good torque, for example, the ubiquitous 2.4-litre power plant.
But this was out of whack in an era of downsized turbocharged units which offer both power and economy.
Enter the Honda Earth Dreams turbo.
Sure, this is not the first time that Honda has gone down the turbocharged route. There are three-cylinder Honda minicars with forced induction and its Acura luxury division in the US also uses turbos.
But the Earth Dreams turbo will be special because it will soon be found in mainstream Honda models. Earth Dreams is the label Honda uses for its next-generation powertrains that make its cars both environmentally friendly as well as fun to drive.
Under this Earth Dreams moniker, a direct injection 1.5-litre double overhead cam VTEC turbocharged four-cylinder engine will debut in cars such as next year's Honda Civic.
But the very first application is in the quirkily styled and named multi-purpose vehicle called the Step WGN.
The aim of this small turbo is to produce the equivalent torque of a 2.4-litre naturally aspirated engine. The result is 150 hp and 203 Nm from 1,496 cc.
Designed for lag-free performance, the turbocharging allows smooth progress in the 1,690 kg seven-seat wagon.
Mated to a continuously variable transmission to drive the front wheels, performance is almost perky. Where an NA VTEC requires high revs for oomph, this has good low-end torque.
But the turbo is less about horsepower and more about efficiency, which suits the Step WGN, a domestic Japanese model not available from authorised distributor Kah Motor.
At 4,735 mm in length with a 2,890 mm wheelbase, this Honda MPV is tall and long but narrow.
Open the two electrically operated rear doors and a cavernous interior greets you, with two individual centre row seats and a walk-through aisle from the first to third row.
Boot space is surprisingly good because of the deep floor behind the last row seats, which can be folded flat into the floor for more storage room. To access the boot, there is a cleverly hinged tailgate called the Waku Waku Gate.
The whole tailgate can be lifted conventionally. Or the left half can be opened like a tall door on its own for smaller items or in a tight parking space.
In front, the modern-looking dashboard features a slim and colourful digital instrument binnacle as well as a dash-mounted gear lever.
All round visibility is good with its large greenhouse and thin pillars. Parallel importer VinCar is offering the highest grade variant called the Step WGN Spada and this comes with a convenient kerbside mirror located inside the car at the left corner of the dashtop. This convex mirror eliminates blindspot bugbears by reflecting the image of the front left tyre off the left wing mirror housing.
Like the rest of the car with its unusual styling and novel engine, it is cool stuff like that which makes the Honda Step WGN Spada a refreshingly different MPV.
SPECS
Honda Step WGN Spada
Engine: 1,496cc inline-4 turbocharged
Gearbox Continuously variable transmission
Max power: 150 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max torque: 203 Nm @ 1,600-5,000 rpm
CO2 emissions: 167 g/km
Average OMV: S$23,000
Price: S$153,988 (with COE)
Tel: 6473-1119
  • Praise 2

Exactly Tonyking....I've been eyeing it since they launched in Japan back in Apr 2015. Everyday i'm checking on SGCARMART to check which PI is bringing it first, if they don't it is really a shame. Now i begin to see more people noticing this generation of StepWGN being a very functional and practical family minivan [:p]

Thank you Sabian, you got it!

Having Driven a mini mini 'van' for the past 7 years ( Toyota Sienta), I have grown so use to the sliding door. This car has almost all features that I wanted for my next car.

Hope to be able to do my booking end year if not next year...

Great that the article is published in a maintstream paper, will definitely increase eyeballs and buying interest more than our discussion over here.

The article has also validated the info that the next generation civics will come with the turbo charged vtecs. Should put a lot of minds at ease with mechanical components. Price premium over the other models is partly mitigated by low road tax and supposedly better fuel efficiency (and side/curtain airbags too).

For those who're considering a minivan, join me! Maybe instead of a car specific group, we should join up all the minivan owners (mazda/toyota/honda) as a larger sub-community.

That's what felt too, especially a PI car article in mainstream paper, you can see that PI is trying to push this to the general public to gather more interest...but did you guys noticed something strange? I've never seen Strait Times doing a PI car review in weekend paper, stretching my head [:(] The Business Times article was prompted by my colleague since he knows I'm eyeing on this!

Yes in fact i said much earlier in this post, Honda is on path to become Volkswagan or Audi...like it or not more models will be turbo. This will eventually comes to Kah Motor.

I kind of like the multiview camera system (1 camera at front, 1 rear, 2 at the side mirror) and smart parking assist system (just like the odyssey EXV offered by kah motor), these 2 systems are Manufacturer options in Japan, but most of the PI does not offer this option. Anyone know if these option will it function normally when install with other 3rd party LCD monitor like Pioneer? The original Japan GPS internavi comes with Japan map which cannot be used here, FM also not suitable (upto 90FM) only. How?

• Praise 1

The answers to your query on camera/HU system are probably better answered by ICE enthusiast. Even if the PI can spec it, the SE may not be able to assure u the camera/HU interface would be compatible.

Just a layman point of view, due to the OMV taxes, factory fitted features would end up costing 2.4 times the price. Stepwgn and the Toyota minivans are longish but not wide, width is actually similar to jazz at 1.7m compared to odyssey at 1.8m for the full size MPV's. My humble opinion is that a simple reverse camera or sensor set up is more than adequate for these minivans.

[thumbsup]

Good luck with yr search!

↡ Advertisement