Another banking question

Neutrino

Why when a bank rings me up do they ask me to verify who I am??

I see no point. They do not require me to verify when I receive mail from them.

In fact it is the bank who should verify themselves to me before I give them personal details about myself.

OK it is different if I ring the bank. Of course then I have to verify myself.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

In fact it is the bank who should verify themselves to me before I give them personal details about myself.

Cover backside cos they record the all their outgoing calls and you cannot say your phone was not with you and they divulge confidential information to the caller who answered the call (who wasn't you)

lets be fair here... u expect the banks to be able to recognize ur voice?

you leave ur phone on ur desk.. ur colleague help u pick up... and the bank tells him/her everything?

• Praise 1

Depends on the purpose of the call? If the bank is calling you and there is a request by you which is confidential, the bank officer has the rights to ask you for authentication purpose.

If it is a call from bank asking stuffs, like bank loan, credit card application, etc. You can choose not to answer any highly confidential details.

Hard to provide all scenario of examples.

Just be tactful when you answer any queries, be it from a bank officer or in general phone calls. :D

• Praise 1

In the first place, why would bank call u? I think if they want to verify anything etc, they should send out an official letter to us, not through phone. Even the person who answer the call and can answer the personal details, the person can also be 'fake' as sometimes it is quite easy to obtain such details.

I would be worried if they skip this step even if they were the one calling me.

• Praise 1

I would be worried if they skip this step even if they were the one calling me.

So I call you and say I am So and So bank with important information for you but need to verify you first, and you'd give me personal and private details of yourself?????

So I call you and say I am So and So bank with important information for you but need to verify you first, and you'd give me personal and private details of yourself?????

This is the reason I don't like people to call over the phone to ask for personal details or verify this, verify that. Cause anyone can pose as a bank officer or anyone.

• Praise 1

I agree with what some others have said; it depends on the purpose of the call.

The only time I got called up by the bank and they asked me for verification was when there was problem with a cheque I banked in, and the only verification they did was to ask me the usual security questions; my birthdate and my mother's maiden name. I don't recall they asking for anything more personal than that, neither do I think they should.

Turbocharged

Then you ask them call for what lor.

Don't like, say not keen and hang up.

• Praise 1

Like what some have mentioned here, it depends on the purpose of the call.

But my point of caution here is that it could very well be a hoax call as well with the intention of getting you to divulge your personal info, so be mindful of what you disclose.

I would want the caller to identify himself as well by providing me with some info that will prove that the caller is from the bank. I once did this but the caller told me that they have to verify me first and can't be disclosing the info I needed from them without getting info from me first. So I told him "You need to verify me and since I also need to verify you, so how?" There was no budging from both sides and thus the call ended there and till today I don't know if it was a genuine call!!

• Praise 6

I would want the caller to identify himself as well by providing me with some info that will prove that the caller is from the bank. I once did this but the caller told me that they have to verify me first and can't be disclosing the info I needed from them without getting info from me first. So I told him "You need to verify me and since I also need to verify you, so how?" There was no budging from both sides and thus the call ended there and till today I don't know if it was a genuine call!!

This has happened to my wife a number of times even with return calls from the same person she was just speaking to.

This is the stupidity of the banks here and something they just don't understand.

And there is no one to complain to about it.

The officers don't care, just do as their told like robots and no way will they pass on comments to those above.

• Praise 1

You have a valid point. I have however not encountered any such calls before, usually they call me to verify credit card purchases and no personal information is revealed.

Can you provide more details on the nature of such calls? If it is telemarketing, don't need to entertain lah.

• Praise 1

Reminds me of an old episode of Seinfeld;

Jerry: This isn't a good time.

Telemarketer: When would be a good time to call back, sir?

Jerry: I have an idea, why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you back later?

Telemarketer: Umm, we're not allowed to do that.

Jerry: Oh, I guess because you don't want strangers calling you at home.

Telemarketer: Umm, no.

Jerry: Well, now you know how I feel.

[hangs up phone]

• Praise 3

Reminds me of an old episode of Seinfeld;

Jerry: This isn't a good time.

Telemarketer: When would be a good time to call back, sir?

Jerry: I have an idea, why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you back later?

Telemarketer: Umm, we're not allowed to do that.

Jerry: Oh, I guess because you don't want strangers calling you at home.

Telemarketer: Umm, no.

Jerry: Well, now you know how I feel.

[hangs up phone]

Epic reply [thumbsup]

• Praise 8

When its those pesky marketing calls for unsteady credit etc,

I always pretend its not me.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1