Advise on upsizing to 19"

SteveLim1969

Hi,
Am thinking of upsizing my new Mazda3 from 16" to 19", as i absolutely love the looks.

Specific question is, if i am not a heavy foot and speedy driver, how big is the impact on take off, acceleration, and fuel consumption? Is the car going to be horribly sluggish?

I am aware of the harder, noisier and bumpier ride.
I just love the look.
And there's an original Mazda 19" available at a shop.

Original is 205/60-R16 , 16"x6.5 , offset 50.
The change will be to 19"x7.0 , offset 50
and available tyre options at the shop are
235/35-R19 (-0.8%) or 225/40-R19 (+1.5%).

Please advise.
Many thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

The tyres will be bloody expensive. Maybe about $500 per piece? Looks nice, but much harsher ride.

I did this once on a previous car. Upgraded from a stock 17" to 19" and I regretted it.

• Praise 2

Need to spend more $$ on petrol and tires and bumpy ride, it look like a lose-lose situation to me. The shiokness of the new outlook will usually last a few months, after that you will be immune.

• Praise 3

Hi,

Am thinking of upsizing my new Mazda3 from 16" to 19", as i absolutely love the looks.

Specific question is, if i am not a heavy foot and speedy driver, how big is the impact on take off, acceleration, and fuel consumption? Is the car going to be horribly sluggish?

I am aware of the harder, noisier and bumpier ride.

I just love the look.

And there's an original Mazda 19" available at a shop.

Original is 205/60-R16 , 16"x6.5 , offset 50.

The change will be to 19"x7.0 , offset 50

and available tyre options at the shop are

235/35-R19 (-0.8%) or 225/40-R19 (+1.5%).

Please advise.

Many thanks.

Wow usually people go for +1 or +2 but +3 is radical. I applaud your bravery!!!

I rather drive a Vios than a Mazda 3 although Mazda 3 is a much nicer car, look wise.

I think 17" is reasonable but 19" would make the car excessively slow and bumpy and could cause premature death of many parts over the long term. Would it void the warranty?

Better Upgrade to 18" for your ride the most. Otherwise your FC really run road. I changed from 18 to 19 already lose about 50km or 4L now.

• Praise 1

I am on 17 inch on my Mazda3 and I absolutely hate the sluggish ness.

I cannot imagine a 19 inch.

Looks nice but every min u will be cursing

Mazda3 on 19in, guy's don't overdo it with every inch over stock diameter you'll lose 3.5% of torque. Larger tires have a negative influence on stopping power, draw back of heavier tires is a possible decrease of comfort on pavement.

Increase to such size also means increasing weight for rims & tires. Worth it meh? For looks niah, doesn't add power. The harsh ride and tire noise....Tires cost a lot more too. It will make your brakes and brake rotors look tiny as well. LoL...

If the only pro is looks, don't do it lah.

IMO if I see such big rims on a Mzd3 I see liao I arm chio.

I wld recommend max 18" (light weight not more than 8.5kg kind) for ur Mazda 3, if rims design chosen correctly it may look as big as a 19"👍

• Praise 2

If you are a frequent driver up north, you also need to note that 19" rims with low-profile tyres will be more susceptible to the dangers arising from rim damage if you happen to drive into a pothole.

Actually, depending on the weight of the rims and the width of the tyres, the differences in terms of FC, pick-up and acceleration would probably be similar to that of 18". And as some have shared, it really depends on the rim design. I reckon those with tall straight spokes tend to look 'taller', while those with a lip or deep dish may sometimes look 'smaller'.

If you're into the look, make sure you have a BBK to back up the rims. Tiny brakes and rotors coupled with big rims can be a real mismatch.

Big rims + low profile = high chance of scratching the rims at kerbs in car parks and tight corners.

Heart pain and ugly when it happens IMHO

Apart from the Harsher Ride & Lower Fuel Consumption ...

If you up grade to 19" without increasing the size of you Brake Calipers & Rotors ...

It will just look awful ...

↡ Advertisement