Your Choice Auto-tranny

zerobim08

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite type of auto-transmission?

• CVT
    • DCT/DSG
    • AT(TC)

In Singapore driving context what is your choice of auto-transmission? CVT or DCT/DSG or AT(torque converter).

For those who are lucky enough to have driven all three types, what are the pluses, minuses or quirks of these transmissions when applied to driving on Singapore roads and conditions.

For noob like me who only has driven AT only, it would really give a good insight.

(ok...I know I can google the different types but I just like to hear opinions those who really use them on our roads)

Thanks for input.

↡ Advertisement

I voted AT. FYI for CVT it's also mated to a torque converter like the conventional auto.

I didn't like CVT of the old days (rubber band effect) but with better software programming CVT today can be made to behave like a conventional auto.

Dual Clutch gb aren't smooth coz it was initially design for boats. Boats glide on water hence you won't feel any jerks. Engineers have to add in a creep function for very low speed(parking speed). Not as smooth as the conventional auto.

But many ppl do not know the car maker's software programming for the gb is just as important. Coz for the gb it must have a brain to make it work. Under what conditions to shift up/down. Now with tech advancement engineers connect the throttle inputs to the gb as well. Or rather the steering , gb and gas pedal are connected to one brain or ecu. It's no longer like in the past that the auto tranny is unresponsive to your inputs.

With introduction to 8sp and 9sp auto gearbox for efficiency I think the auto will be more popular. It's still the regular 5sp but with more overdrives for the 3rd, 4th & 5th gear to make the car achieve lower fc even when stuck in slow traffic. For 9sp probably 2 overdrive ratio for the 5th gear. It's like moving towards the concept of a CVT with virtual gears to suit driving conditions.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

i prefer the AT, more stable and lasting...

look at the present cars w CVT, so not lasting...mitsubishi lancer, honda fit....the efx not very gd after 50-60k km.....

of course hopefully w more research n modern technology...things will be better..

now the lats toyota also using cvt...harrier,esquire, altis, wish

honda vezel also cvt.....

but i cant afford those vehicles...so AT now is gd enuff...

I've only driven the normal AT before. So far so gd, not much of a complaint. Like toyota's dino 4 speed AT wif ECT still quite responsive. Just double tap if u need power

My daily car has the newer modern CVT.. still sucks lah. Better than older CVT but still not as good as normal AT or DCT. The newer CVT still has a mind on its own, usually unsure to upshift or downshift, roaring away lol. I guess you pay for what you get.

Best choice is a 6 or 7 speeder, dual clutched transmission (PDK e.g) with paddle shifters to play.

Edited by Nissan833

I prefer a manual 6 spd.

But without that option, any of the new Conti 7/8 speeds (TC auto) are good. Also can take the most torque input of the lot. Good if you have a turbo ride which you want to tune.

DSG still a bit jerky in slow traffic conditions.

CVT boring drive.

Older autos (e.g. those Japanese 4/5 spds) too 'elastic' and waste petrol.

Edited by Ake109

My first time driving the newer CVT, migrating from AT.

At least there is no jerks, generally smooth drive with the CVT.

Perhaps, CVT is more suited for oldies like me, preferring a leisure smooth drive. : )

My own car is CVT. Quite old but still going strong. It does its job la.

Dual clutch I think still hit and miss. Good is if you like using the paddle shifters it shifts quite fast, but in Singapore context not much use for it I think. Some are still a bit jerky in normal driving conditions, but some (like Porsche's PDK) are very good.

Normal auto still smoothest I think.

• Praise 1

My own car is CVT. Quite old but still going strong. It does its job la.

Dual clutch I think still hit and miss. Good is if you like using the paddle shifters it shifts quite fast, but in Singapore context not much use for it I think. Some are still a bit jerky in normal driving conditions, but some (like Porsche's PDK) are very good.

Normal auto still smoothest I think.

I have been driving the normal 4 speed and 5 speeds ATs for a long time before getting a Teana in 2008 with CVT. I currently also have another car with a 6 speed AT.

I do not know what CVTs others are driving, those who are not happy with it, but Teana's CVT is a Godsend. Supersmooth. Once in a blue moon you do have the occasional jerk at low speeds in traffic jam situations but 99% of the time you feel zero jerk. Simply no comparison between the CVT and the standard 6 speed ATs. Worlds apart in favour of the CVT.It really augments the overall smoothness of the drive/car.

Yes CVTs cost more to repair but so far they have not been reported to be any less reliable than the standard ATs (at least for Nissan).

Based on my experience with Nissan CVT, the standard ATs have actually been proven redundant in all aspects.

Edited by Nav14
  • Praise 2

I have been driving the normal 4 speed and 5 speeds ATs for a long time before getting a Teana in 2008 with CVT. I currently also have another car with a 6 speed AT.

I do not know what CVTs others are driving, those who are not happy with it, but Teana's CVT is a Godsend. Supersmooth. Once in a blue moon you do have the occasional jerk at low speeds in traffic jam situations but 99% of the time you feel zero jerk. Simply no comparison between the CVT and the standard 6 speed ATs. Worlds apart in favour of the CVT.It really augments the overall smoothness of the drive/car.

Yes CVTs cost more to repair but so far they have not been reported to be any less reliable than the standard ATs (at last for Nissan).

Based on my experience with Nissan CVT, the standard ATs have actually been proven redundant in all aspects.

No offence but it all depends on the variety of gearboxes you are exposed to.

I have the newer version of the CVT you have in your Teana now in my Nissan Qashqai. Nissan claims its better, performs like normal automatic, have 7 virtual gears to shift blah blah.. Still trash. Better, but still trash. But I get what I pay. I can't complain [:)]

• Praise 1

DSG for me but only the 6 speed.

It can shift faster than a manual.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Any Auto transmission is fine,as long as got little or no problem,DSG gearbox are good to drive,but you alsoo drivinf a "Tickling time Bomb" around,anytime "Up the lorry"..err Tow truck [furious] ....who cares it shift very fast..

Any Auto transmission is fine,as long as got little or no problem,DSG gearbox are good to drive,but you alsoo drivinf a "Tickling time Bomb" around,anytime "Up the lorry"..err Tow truck [furious] ....who cares it shift very fast..

If the ticking can go on for 5 years or more then I won't be too concerned.

If you look at it this way every car is a ticking time Bomb. Everytime I see a breakdown on the road it is not limited to cars with dsg only.

I am looking at buying a car with dsg and I was also concerned. But after looking at real statistics from TUV and others dsg equipped cars are about as reliable as other car.

I know the dsg from VW got a bad rap but that was like 2 years ago. Unless their engineers are all sleeping some modifications to mitigate those problems (I hope that is so). Recalling cars are expensive process and give a bad reputation so I doubt the manufacturer would just sit still and do nothing.

At the very least it is not as scary as killer airbags.

7 years 7 mths and almost 130000km, my DSG still running well.

As I said, get the 6 speed DSG only.

Changing of gearbox oil every 40K does help.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Why no manual?

Are there any more manual car sold in Singapore? Or put it another way maybe only 1 in 100 (is that too generous?) bought a manual.

↡ Advertisement