Honda Civic 2007 Repair/Maintenance

Metalslug2

(edited)

I got adventurous and tried to replaced my headlight(right side) myself, but after opening up the fender wall this is what I see. Looks totally different from the instructions I found online. Any advise why? I got this car as pre owned, not sure if the previous owner have done any modification to the headlights. IMG_0892.JPG

Well, did some searching on the internet, guess what I'm looking at is the hid ballast. Now I think that my bulb is okay, it's the ballast that's screwed, reason is becos when I turn the headlight on, I could see the bulb flickers but did not turn on. Guess I'll have to look for professional help to diagnose on my ballast. Hope it will not cost me a bomb.

since your civic is scrapping in Jan just leave it la. anyway you mentioned you not going to spend so much. If your the other headlight is still working than just leave it. Just few more months. Im sure by now all your inspection road tax is already all settled by now.

Dont waste money on changing the bulb.

I tot of ignoring it initially too! If it's just driving in sgp road I dun think the headlight will be that critical. But the prob is I frequent jb often and there was once I can't see a single thing on the right side of the road without the headlight, felt that it's too dangerous to continue like this. Edited by EricTan_189660
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Seriously?! I went to autobac and ask to have it replace and the technician told me that my headlight is HID and the cheapest is $127, for just ONE bulb! I asked for a basic one and he said the most basic is this price no other place selling at below $100. Goodness! What's with the integrity of people nowadays!

autobacs only for window shopping. [knife]

I tot of ignoring it initially too! If it's just driving in sgp road I dun think the headlight will be that critical. But the prob is I frequent jb often and there was once I can't see a single thing on the right side of the road without the headlight, felt that it's too dangerous to continue like this.

well you can always cut down on your JB trips la if is for leisure purpose only. than you no need to keep worrying you will spend bomb on just one side of the headlamp. 

Well, did some searching on the internet, guess what I'm looking at is the hid ballast. Now I think that my bulb is okay, it's the ballast that's screwed, reason is becos when I turn the headlight on, I could see the bulb flickers but did not turn on. Guess I'll have to look for professional help to diagnose on my ballast. Hope it will not cost me a bomb.

I tot of ignoring it initially too! If it's just driving in sgp road I dun think the headlight will be that critical. But the prob is I frequent jb often and there was once I can't see a single thing on the right side of the road without the headlight, felt that it's too dangerous to continue like this.

If you like to DIY, just exchange the bulb and you will know which (ballast or bulb) is kaput.

HID Bulb from ebay very cheap - <$10/pc vs $50 in SG.

Ballast slightly more - not sure what is the current pricing.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Original new ballast from stockist Tian Seng is about 180 plus. Original new bulb is about 125. There is somebody selling online for used original bulb for 25. (Can buy as spares) You can swap the bulbs to test if u know how to do it. I got a freelance bulb guy to test at $10 and confirm its a faulty ballast at before I bought a new ballast.

• Praise 1

Hi all, recently i noticed a great increase on fuel consumption for my 2006 FD1. Used to be able to go abt 400-420km on full tank but recently i can only go 300-320km on full tank. I have been travelling the same roads and same fuel type. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

• Praise 1

Hi all, recently i noticed a great increase on fuel consumption for my 2006 FD1. Used to be able to go abt 400-420km on full tank but recently i can only go 300-320km on full tank. I have been travelling the same roads and same fuel type. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

No presence of unusual performance?
  • Praise 1

Original new ballast from stockist Tian Seng is about 180 plus. Original new bulb is about 125. There is somebody selling online for used original bulb for 25. (Can buy as spares) You can swap the bulbs to test if u know how to do it. I got a freelance bulb guy to test at $10 and confirm its a faulty ballast at before I bought a new ballast.

Thanks for the information! Drove to Jet Auto to have it looked at last week and he was kind enuff to help me diagnose that it was the bulb, too bad he does not have white light bulb in stock, therefore I will be ordering it online and one I got it will drive down to him to help replace.

If you like to DIY, just exchange the bulb and you will know which (ballast or bulb) is kaput.

HID Bulb from ebay very cheap - <$10/pc vs $50 in SG.

Ballast slightly more - not sure what is the current pricing.

Yep, did attempt to do a interswap myself, but when tried to gain access to the bulb I was not able to see the socket to the bulb, went online to do a search but seems like mine is very different from what they have. Anyway I think I've got an idea on how to get the issue fixed(previous post). Thanks for the help and advice!
  • Praise 1

No presence of unusual performance?

None at all. Everything feels fine when i drive, no irregular sounds/noise, acceleration seem normal. Juz the unusual high fuel consumption suddenly.

None at all. Everything feels fine when i drive, no irregular sounds/noise, acceleration seem normal. Juz the unusual high fuel consumption suddenly.

Dats weird. The unusual change in fc is drastic & a change in the car performance should be obvious if it's caused by failing components. Maybe you would like to chk the tire pressure first.

You may wan to chk on the link for some ideas http://www.aa1car.com/library/poor_fuel_economy.htm

• Praise 1

Hmm alright thx.

Did you recently done your svcing? check your air filter, spark plugs. aircon filter. Also importantly your engine oil also.

Did you recently done your svcing? check your air filter, spark plugs. aircon filter. Also importantly your engine oil also.

My servicing still has abt 2500km to go... but when i chked the engine oil it is abit low. So i think i am gonna have to do my servicing earlier then see how it goes.

My servicing still has abt 2500km to go... but when i chked the engine oil it is abit low. So i think i am gonna have to do my servicing earlier then see how it goes.

probably oil leakage? vtec solenoid valve seal? head gasket seal?

Hi guys, I need some advise

I touched the front right rim and it felt much hotter than the other side. The car will also tend to swerve to the left when I free the steering. I suspect the front right brake is sticky

How much does it cost to service the brake & what are the parts will be serviced & any workshop to recommend. Mine is a 6 pots mini.

• Praise 1

Hi guys, I need some advise

I touched the front right rim and it felt much hotter than the other side. The car will also tend to swerve to the left when I free the steering. I suspect the front right brake is sticky

How much does it cost to service the brake & what are the parts will be serviced & any workshop to recommend. Mine is a 6 pots mini.

did you replace the brake pads recently? check the brake calipers.

for such ad hoc job, it's best you call the workshop of your choice to find out the cost of servicing.

are you driving a Type R?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1