Subaru Legacy 2015

antelop

Is this item part of the service schedule for Subarus in Singapore?

I don't see that item listed in the official maintenance schedule included in the hard copy warranty and maintenance booklet that MI gives owners, which I've scanned here:

post-75606-0-88448800-1481367260_thumb.pngpost-75606-0-38747900-1481367277_thumb.png

I wasn't asked to do it during my 3rd free servicing (supposed to be at 6 months) at MI.

Decarbonisation is a good idea in general, and well-known pro-Subaru workshop BKS, for example, recommends an even more aggressive decarbonisation schedule than MI. But we're talking something 30,000km. 6 months seems way too early for any sort of decarbonisation. What's your mileage?

And how's your car so far Down Under? Haven't had an update from you in a while.

↡ Advertisement

The oil change interval here is 6 months or 12500km whichever comes first.

The upper engine cleaner is a "perform" item every service. There is also a CVT fluid replacement at 50000km and every 50000km even though the manual says that CVT is not serviceable unless during severe conditions.

I don't see upper engine clean nor Cvt fluid replacement needed for US or Singapore's Legacy. I suspect that this is a money grab by the local sole dealer Inchape Motors. The driving condition in most of build up Australia is quite mild (milder than Singapore's stop start condition).

Anyway, I will be doing my own oil and filter change to avoid paying the exorbitant dealer service fees.

My Legacy is 11800km now and drives really well.

• Praise 1

There is also a CVT fluid replacement at 50000km and every 50000km even though the manual says that the CVT is not serviceable unless during severe conditions.

BKS here recommends CVT fluid replacement well before 100k too, and while it's entirely possible that it might be overkill, if there's a chance it will help avoid a costly CVT failure, I'm probably game.

I don't see upper engine clean nor Cvt fluid replacement needed for US or Singapore's Legacy. I suspect that this is a money grab by the local sole dealer Inchape Motors. The driving condition in most of build up Australia is quite mild (milder than Singapore's stop start condition).

It does sound like a money grab to me. Fine if it were free but I'll bet it's not cheap.

Anyway, I will be doing my own oil and filter change to avoid paying the exorbitant dealer service fees.

I wish that were practical in Singapore, because dealer service fees truly are exorbitant relative even to non-dealer fees, let alone doing it yourself. Are you going to do it yourself starting from your upcoming service, or the one after that? What oil are you planning to use? I'm still the only BN9 (or Outback BS9 for that matter) in Singapore I know of using the manual-recommended 0W20.

My Legacy is 11800km now and drives really well.

Glad to hear it. I've got slightly lower mileage on mine but you've presumably got more highway miles on yours so it's probably seen less wear.

Edited by Muser

The first service is $299.98 and includes castrol edge 0w20 syn engine oil, Subaru oil filter, a can of upper engine cleaner and Subaru's fuel additive. And the usual safety and maintenance inspections.

I have just changed the engine oil and filter on my own using Penrite Enviro+ 0w20fully syn oil and Ryco oil filter. The engine oil is $50 per 5l after discount. It is really difficult to get hold of 0w20 oil in Australia. 0w20 is the recommended grade for Legacy here. That is why I use it.

Just to illustrate what a money grab dealer service is, an engine air filter supply and install is $85. I bought the genuine air filter from the US for Aud$35 including freight. You are paying the dealer more than $50 to fit the air filter for you. On the LEgacy, it is a simple DIY task of un-clipping the springs clamps, remove old filter, insert air filter and push the spring clamps back on.

Other than spending ~$300 on jacks, stands, chocks, oil drain pan, torque wrench, filter wrench and sockets, the oil change cost me $60 in consumables and 45mins.

The first service is $299.98 and includes castrol edge 0w20 syn engine oil, Subaru oil filter, a can of upper engine cleaner and Subaru's fuel additive. And the usual safety and maintenance inspections.

Doesn't seem particularly cheap to me. Similar to MI pricing. I can see why you'd want to do it yourself.

It is really difficult to get hold of 0w20 oil in Australia.

It's not easy to get 0W20 in Singapore either. Partly because of the constant FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) scaremongering by shops and mechanics, some of whom genuinely believe that 0W20 will kill engines in Singapore (please lah), but most of whom only want to sell common oil grades and don't want to be inconvenienced.

0w20 is the recommended grade for Legacy here. That is why I use it.

0W20 is the manual-recommended (and oil filler cap-indicated) grade for Legacy BN9 2.5 and Outback BS9 2.5 worldwide. Worldwide.

Just to illustrate what a money grab dealer service is, an engine air filter supply and install is $85. I bought the genuine air filter from the US for Aud$35 including freight. You are paying the dealer more than $50 to fit the air filter for you. On the LEgacy, it is a simple DIY task of un-clipping the springs clamps, remove old filter, insert air filter and push the spring clamps back on.

Other than spending ~$300 on jacks, stands, chocks, oil drain pan, torque wrench, filter wrench and sockets, the oil change cost me $60 in consumables and 45mins.

So moneygrabbing doesn't just happen at Singapore dealers. That's some comfort.

Doesn't seem particularly cheap to me. Similar to MI pricing. I can see why you'd want to do it yourself.

It's not easy to get 0W20 in Singapore either. Partly because of the constant FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) scaremongering by shops and mechanics, some of whom genuinely believe that 0W20 will kill engines in Singapore (please lah), but most of whom only want to sell common oil grades and don't want to be inconvenienced.

0W20 is the manual-recommended (and oil filler cap-indicated) grade for Legacy BN9 2.5 and Outback BS9 2.5 worldwide. Worldwide.

So moneygrabbing doesn't just happen at Singapore dealers. That's some comfort.

:a-aggressive:  :a-aggressive:  [smash]

I am still quite puzzled as to why the service schedule in the US is so lax compared to Australia.

In the US, there is no scheduled CVT fluid or differential oil change (only inspections). Surely the US is Subaru's biggest single market and the last thing Subaru wants is high or even some numbers failure of the CVT or differential which is going to severely impact their reputation as a reliable make.

The only reason I could think of is that the "extra" fluid replacement in Australia is indeed money grab (unnecessary) or Subaru is taking a bet on their reputation by marketing their cars to be as low cost to run and maintain as their biggest FWD rivals such as the Camry and Accord so that the LEgacy can compete in the very fierce mid size sedan segment in the US.

In Australia, people who buys a new Subaru wants only a Subaru and these people would have taken in the high service cost as part and parcel of owning a Subaru

..I guess?

Edited by Civicblade

I noticed the stringent differential gear oil change interval at 20000km or 1 year. 

Looks excessive to me. 

The rear differential oil is easy to get to and change but the front can be a little tricky. 

In the front, there is a drain plug, a check plug and a fill plug where in the rear , the fill plug is also the check plug so only 2 plugs. 

How's the Legacy performing in Singapore? 

I don't see that item listed in the official maintenance schedule included in the hard copy warranty and maintenance booklet that MI gives owners, which I've scanned here:

attachicon.gifIMG_1335.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_1334.PNG

I am still quite puzzled as to why the service schedule in the US is so lax compared to Australia.

In the US, there is no scheduled CVT fluid or differential oil change (only inspections). Surely the US is Subaru's biggest single market and the last thing Subaru wants is high or even some numbers failure of the CVT or differential which is going to severely impact their reputation as a reliable make.

The only reason I could think of is that the "extra" fluid replacement in Australia is indeed money grab (unnecessary) or Subaru is taking a bet on their reputation by marketing their cars to be as low cost to run and maintain as their biggest FWD rivals such as the Camry and Accord so that the LEgacy can compete in the very fierce mid size sedan segment in the US.

In Australia, people who buys a new Subaru wants only a Subaru and these people would have taken in the high service cost as part and parcel of owning a Subaru

..I guess?

I'd speculate that it's got something to do with the fact that the car enthusiasts that buy Subarus in the US either don't keep their cars long (they often trade in for the latest version of the same model after just a year or two), or when they do keep them, they take such scrupulous care, beyond the required maintenance schedules, that the cars have no problems there.

Hey, don't complain, at least your dealer gives you 0W20 as the standard oil for your car. MI here charges about S$80 to "upgrade" to Motul H-Tech Plus 0W20 from Shell Helix 5W30/5W40. I'm convinced the real reason MI doesn't offer 0W20 standard here is cost. 0W20 must be synthetic; it can't be produced with mineral/semi-synth. It's also more expensive than other synthetic grades here - definitely more so than crappy Shell Helix.

I noticed the stringent differential gear oil change interval at 20000km or 1 year. 

Looks excessive to me.

You could be right about it being excessive. I honestly dunno. I'll probably go with whatever the pro-Subaru workshops recommend, vs what MI says.

How's the Legacy performing in Singapore?

Couldn't be happier with mine. I still look forward to every single drive, and grin like a teenager. And nothing's broken. Can't ask for more than that.

Edited by Muser

I am curious as to how many Legacys can MI sell in a year. 

The Liberty (Legacy in Australia) used to be very popular. You can still see many 4th gen (wagons mostly) and 5th gen on the roads. 

But the current model Legacy isn't popular, instead the overwhelming majorities of new Subarus are Forester, Outback and WRX. 

Hey, don't complain, at least your dealer gives you 0W20 as the standard oil for your car. MI here charges about S$80 to "upgrade" to Motul H-Tech Plus 0W20 from Shell Helix 5W30/5W40. I'm convinced the real reason MI doesn't offer 0W20 standard here is cost. 0W20 must be synthetic;

Couldn't be happier with mine. I still look forward to every single drive, and grin like a teenager. And nothing's broken. Can't ask for more than that.

I change my own oil and oil filter, rotate tires on the first service last Sunday. It cost me $78 total in part cost vs $300 (plus $30-40 for tire rotation) if I let the dealership do it. 

Motul H-Tech Plus 0W20 is AUD79.95 with free shipping. The Penrite Enviro+ 0W-20 that I am using is AUD50 after discount (I still have another 5L bottle new for the next service).

It is hard to imagine charging an extra S$80 just to switch to Motul. I may try the Motul H Tech Plus 0W20 since it is cheaper than I thought and comes with free shipping to my door. 

It is hard to imagine charging an extra S$80 just to switch to Motul.

Which is probably why no one else bothers. But I'm ngiao that way, and in many other ways, lol.

I may try the Motul H Tech Plus 0W20 since it is cheaper than I thought and comes with free shipping to my door.

Yah, give it a go and try try. I'm quite happy with it, though I'll be trying something different on my next oil change, just for fun.

Has anyone of you driven the legacy at speed of say 150km/hr, how does it feel? Stable or floating? Thanks.

We always obey the speed limit in Singapore and Malaysia.

That being said, the stock 16mm rear anti-roll bar on the Legacy BN9 is known to provide less-than-ideal high speed stability, which is easily solved by upgrading to a Subaru 19mm or 20mm anti-roll bar, or an aftermarket one such as a Whiteline adjustable 22mm.

But even with the stock anti-roll bar, it's okay and no worse than similar mid-sized Asian family sedans.

Thanks mate for your sharing.  The legacy is truly a greatly under rated car, I wish I had changed to it, for I am an admirer.  I guess it is suffering for its past ah beng image.  My ideal car has to be comfortable, good power and handling, which the Legacy fulfills.  For now, my next car should be the legacy .  Cheers.

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 1

Is the 3.6R available in Singapore?

I have just checked the service schedule for the Legacy in the US market and differential oil (front and back) is not a serviceable item. There is no need for periodic replacement of the differential fluid!

I'll probably keep to the 50000km interval recommended by Subaru Australia.

Is the 3.6R available in Singapore?

I have just checked the service schedule for the Legacy in the US market and differential oil (front and back) is not a serviceable item. There is no need for periodic replacement of the differential fluid!

I'll probably keep to the 50000km interval recommended by Subaru Australia.

No, the 3.6 H6 isn't available in Singapore, but even if it were, it probably wouldn't be popular because of the crazy road tax it would command. Are you still tempted to get one Down Under? I suspect the 3.6 is only available in Australia and the USA. The 2.0DIT trim is definitely only available in China.

Differing differential fluid replacement schedules worldwide? Thanks for the heads up. Hmm, I'm going to have to decide which recommendation to follow then. Knowing me, I'll probably badly err on the side of kiasu caution. It's ruthless start-stop traffic over here, after all.

Edited by Muser

No, the 3.6 H6 isn't available in Singapore, but even if it were, it probably wouldn't be popular because of the crazy road tax it would command. Are you still tempted to get one Down Under? I suspect the 3.6 is only available in Australia and the USA. The 2.0DIT trim is definitely only available in China.

Differing differential fluid replacement schedules worldwide? Thanks for the heads up. Hmm, I'm going to have to decide which recommendation to follow then. Knowing me, I'll probably badly err on the side of kiasu caution. It's ruthless start-stop traffic over here, after all.

The boat has sailed for another new car. I bought a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander for my wife to run errands around the suburbs. 

There will not be any new car for at least the next 2 year or so. I like the engine on the 3.6R but I feel that the 2.5i handles better than the 3.6R.

I am keen to go full electric but cannot afford a Tesla at the current price point. I'll probably wait for the Tesla X or something equivalent from the Japanese or Koreans.  

↡ Advertisement