Subaru Legacy 2015

antelop

The boat has sailed for another new car. I bought a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander for my wife to run errands around the suburbs.

There will not be any new car for at least the next 2 year or so. I like the engine on the 3.6R but I feel that the 2.5i handles better than the 3.6R.

I am keen to go full electric but cannot afford a Tesla at the current price point. I'll probably wait for the Tesla X or something equivalent from the Japanese or Koreans.

Outlander for the wife, eh? No FXT or Outback 3.6? Hahah.

I believe the 3.6R's heavier engine makes it nose heavy, so it makes sense that it would affect the handling balance. Never driven a 3.6 though so it's interesting to hear your review.

I'd love a Tesla too.

↡ Advertisement

Outlander for the wife, eh? No FXT or Outback 3.6? Hahah.

I believe the 3.6R's heavier engine makes it nose heavy, so it makes sense that it would affect the handling balance. Never driven a 3.6 though so it's interesting to hear your review.

I'd love a Tesla too.

Happy New Year!

No a fan of SUVs but I have to admit the Outlander is super easy to drive and very comfortable. It handles pretty well for an SUV.

It has been a while since I test driven the 3.6r legacy.. I was very happy with the engine, it was silky smooth with linear power delivery and make the legacy feels effortless in day to day traffic due to the torque from the H6. I was however disappointed with the nose heavy handling. The 3.6r would make a great cruiser but wouldn't be as fun to drive than the 2.5i in the twisties. 

I went to have a look at the Levorg 2.0T and the cabin is significantly smaller than the legacy and I feel cramped inside the Levorg. It may not be a bad thing, the WRX's interior feels pretty cramped too but a smaller car would probably translate to better handling. The WRX definitely handles better than the Legacy. 

Another car that I have shortlisted is the S60 T6 R-design. It makes stupid amount of power with its 3.0T and has AWD. In Australia, this car depreciates faster than a house brick can sink in water. A 2 year old with low mileage ~10k km would retain only 50% of its original retail price. I will be making an appointment for a test drive soon. This may be my next car if I finally decide to forego reliability for performance. 

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too, and to everyone else!

No a fan of SUVs

Me neither, which is why I persuaded my wife to let me buy the Legacy even though she was looking at all the Subaru SUVs.

It has been a while since I test driven the 3.6r legacy.. I was very happy with the engine, it was silky smooth with linear power delivery and make the legacy feels effortless in day to day traffic due to the torque from the H6. I was however disappointed with the nose heavy handling. The 3.6r would make a great cruiser but wouldn't be as fun to drive than the 2.5i in the twisties.

If what you liked about the 3.6R was the power delivery, one option is an ECU tune for your 2.5 that smooths things out.

I went to have a look at the Levorg 2.0T and the cabin is significantly smaller than the legacy and I feel cramped inside the Levorg. It may not be a bad thing, the WRX's interior feels pretty cramped too but a smaller car would probably translate to better handling. The WRX definitely handles better than the Legacy.

That's the thing, the Levorg is essentially a WRX wagon, which means not enough space for me, but upside is great handling, etc, especially with the 2.0DIT (WRX and FXT) powerplant.

Another car that I have shortlisted is the S60 T6 R-design. It makes stupid amount of power with its 3.0T and has AWD. In Australia, this car depreciates faster than a house brick can sink in water. A 2 year old with low mileage ~10k km would retain only 50% of its original retail price. I will be making an appointment for a test drive soon. This may be my next car if I finally decide to forego reliability for performance.

Now that would be one hell of a fun car to have, depreciation aside (which also means you could snag a great deal). Practical, but stupid amount of power. Buy lah, hahah.

Any bros know where to get the sports grille for the Legacy 2.5? AD mentioned it cost around S$500 plus for one.

Am thinking if there's any better lobang outside. Also searching around for twin exhaust (LTA approved). Any bros or sis able to advise? Thanks!

• Praise 1

Any bros know where to get the sports grille for the Legacy 2.5? AD mentioned it cost around S$500 plus for one. Am thinking if there's any better lobang outside.

Motor Image recently raised the price of the Legacy BN9 / Outback BS9 JDM Mesh Grille from S$550 (excl GST but incl install) to S$650 (excl GST and excl S$120 install fee). This makes buying it from japanparts.com cheaper.

Also searching around for twin exhaust (LTA approved).

There are currently no legal twin exhaust options for the 2.5NA Legacy BN9.

I PM-ed you an invitation to the Subaru Outback & Legacy Singapore (SOLS) WhatsApp chat group, and you're welcome to ask our questions in our Facebook group too.

hope it won't take too long [:)]

"The word behind closed doors is that the refresh is so small because Subaru has already started working on the all-new Legacy that's going to be based on the Global Platform"

Meanwhile, I'm happily fantasising about swapping out my MY16 Legacy's centre panel for the facelifted one with a one-inch-larger screen, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Meanwhile, I'm happily fantasising about swapping out my MY16 Legacy's centre panel for the facelifted one with a one-inch-larger screen, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto ð»

Possible meh?

Possible meh?

Dunno.

But if it's the same overall dimensions (the panel, not the screen), theoretically why not? Though I foresee that pricing would be prohibitive.

Hello pplz,

Getting the new legacy in less than 2 weeks' time, now thinking whether to change rim/tyre first or to change the brake kit first? Any advice?

For BBK, i'm looking at AP Racing but also considering about Brembo depending on the $$$. Any bros or sis using these brands of BBK on their rides? Which is better?

Thanks in advance.

Hello pplz,

Getting the new legacy in less than 2 weeks' time, now thinking whether to change rim/tyre first or to change the brake kit first? Any advice?

For BBK, i'm looking at AP Racing but also considering about Brembo depending on the $$$. Any bros or sis using these brands of BBK on their rides? Which is better?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you, I will drive first using the stock brake kit and rims to see if it satisfies to my driving style. Unless my driving style is aggressive and the stock brake system cannot handle it then I will consider upgrade to BBK for higher efficiency.

Same for rims, apart from decoration purpose, does your driving style require you to have quality rims such as those form forged materials that gives you lightweight rims with higher durability?

Hence I will choose tyres first because that is the first thing that will impact handling of the car, braking distance, grip on poor conditions or cornering. Having BBK but sucky tires probably won't help much.

Anyway if you really need BBK then you might want to see the different models within the same brand. How many POTs you need? 

If your pocket is deep then change all?

Personally I go on to the route of getting 2nd hand 4/2 brembo from STIs, which I find it sufficient for my legacy GT. As for your 2017 legacy I find it more than enough. Nowadays many cars are being scrapped, people are dekitting and selling their 4/2 brembo. 

Hello pplz,

Thanks in advance.

Bro...let's drive your new Legacy for 6 months..then decides after that. FYI, changing stock brake and rim will void your warranty...if done by MI then no warranty issue!! My 2015 Legacy still with stock brake and rim..so far no issues! 

Thanks all for the advice.

Mixed feelings. Thinking of buying the lip, side skirting, rear bumper, front grille and door visor from japan, but the costs of these parts are really expensive. Maybe it is a new model, so not many bodykit accessories around.

Maybe just stick to stock and drive for a while first then see how.. :(

Hello pplz,

Thanks in advance.

Brakes before anything else.

It's not about absolute stopping power. It's about modulation and how it allows you to drive more smoothly and safely in all conditions.

The Legacy BN9's stock brakes aren't horrible, but they do happen to be the car's biggest weakness. They just aren't matched well to the BN9's weight, handling and engine. Mediocre modulation - sometimes difficult to slightly increase and decrease braking power as traffic conditions change.

In contrast, the stock Enkei OEM wheels are quite nice and the stock Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 are perfectly decent even if they aren't amazing. No need to change. Just bear in mind that bbk may not fit stock wheels without the use of spacers.

AP vs Brembo - If cost is your concern, you'll find AP is more affordable than equivalent Brembo models.

As for buying used brakes - make sure you don't require adapter brackets to use them. Legacy BN9 PCD is 5 x 114.3. All older Legacy models are 5 x 100, for example.

Enjoy your new car.

• Praise 1

quite sure to start on this Legacy in early 2018... (pun intended).  My current ride expires April 2018.

However, with the new Vehicle Emission Scheme (VES) twist starting Jan 2018, not sure how to go about this now. Based on solely carbon emission, BN9 is unfortunately at +$10,000 band.

COE may go up, may come down... Should I wait or should I go?? Any views? [:p]

Edited by Vidz

quite sure to start on this Legacy in early 2018... (pun intended).  My current ride expires April 2018.

However, with the new Vehicle Emission Scheme (VES) twist starting Jan 2018, not sure how to go about this now. Based on solely carbon emission, BN9 is unfortunately at +$10,000 band.

Nobody knows what will be the COE price in the near future. Generally if you love this car and is within what you deemed as affordable / worth the money just buy it, and forget about the price. 

To me is like a never ending journey to wait for "best price" because there is always a "what if...". 

Also can you live without a car? Because when you buy in Apr 2018 they might not have stock available and you need to wait.

Just like buying a power bank from Qoo10, today offer $20 instead of $25. Then maybe 1 week later suddenly got special price at $17. What to do if you bought at $20 and missed the $17? Suck thumb and just use the power bank to the max to make the purchase worth it.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

buy e class if you are worried.. their margins so high you don't have to worry about which way coe goes

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1