New Ford Mondeo

Suhaimiebrahim

I went to view and test drive the mondeo.

according to the SE, fuel consumption is ard 9km/l, lower than specs.

I don't like some of the fittings like the boot release lever is on left passenger side, handbrake button (no lever) is on passenger side instead of driver side.

price dropped abit. 5 door ard $166k.

i struck it off my want-to-own list......

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I don't like some of the fittings like the boot release lever is on left passenger side, handbrake button (no lever) is on passenger side instead of driver side.

Maybe when they mirror the LHD to RHD, they forgot / lazy to mirror those fittings [laugh]

• Praise 1

The SE also CMI. Not too sure about the specs. e.g. my friend asked how the city safety worked - she said don't know. she never tried. said don't trust that, otherwise will hv to visit workshop many times - ???? another one - there is a built in microsoft isync for dashboard. she did not know or be bothered with that. my friend asked and got the idk answer.

some of the things i liked abt the mondeo but too bad they did not sway me to buy :

1. power

2. looks

3. moon roof for 5 door

4. led running lights - the hazard lights blink in sequence machiam like the run way style. very cool.

5. beige leather seats which i happened to like. there are no other colors for the seats !! too bad for those who prefer black.

Turbocharged

The SE also CMI. Not too sure about the specs. e.g. my friend asked how the city safety worked - she said don't know. she never tried. said don't trust that, otherwise will hv to visit workshop many times - ???? another one - there is a built in microsoft isync for dashboard. she did not know or be bothered with that. my friend asked and got the idk answer.

some of the things i liked abt the mondeo but too bad they did not sway me to buy :

1. power

2. looks

3. moon roof for 5 door

4. led running lights - the hazard lights blink in sequence machiam like the run way style. very cool.

5. beige leather seats which i happened to like. there are no other colors for the seats !! too bad for those who prefer black.

The SE who serve me explain how it worked.

There's a red light on the dashtop behind the instrument hood. When the front sensors detects incoming collision with an obstacle or pedestrian it will shine that light to warn you + show notification in the instruments screen in amber. If you don't try to stop the car will eventually prepare brake for immediate 100% with light touch of the pedal but if you still don't try to brake it will do so on its own. What I read and understand from UK-based reviews is that it can only completely mitigate a collision (without driver intervention) under 30km/h. Still better than nothing I guess.

The infotainment system is called Ford SYNC2. Is co-developed with Microsoft like with KIA's UVO... but showfloor unit not active so cannot see how it really works. Seems like the lady SE you had bo chap type though.

Edited by 7hm

main diff this model has from previous in terms of spec sheet is the gearbox, current one is back to a 6-sp AT box while previous model is a dual clutch one

i also like this mondie especially the rear leg room, super! if have chance to get a new ride, i would go for the wagon version.

• Praise 1

main diff this model has from previous in terms of spec sheet is the gearbox, current one is back to a 6-sp AT box while previous model is a dual clutch one

i also like this mondie especially the rear leg room, super! if have chance to get a new ride, i would go for the wagon version.

great combi of 6AT(too bad not 7)+TC engine.

a lot of brands have actually developed systems which can auto emergency brake at high speeds when you don't respond but none are being brought here because it will lead to high costs. sigh.

only volvo and ford have brought in these low speed auto braking "old" technology which are not that useful unless at very low speeds.

The SE who serve me explain how it worked.

There's a red light on the dashtop behind the instrument hood. When the front sensors detects incoming collision with an obstacle or pedestrian it will shine that light to warn you + show notification in the instruments screen in amber. If you don't try to stop the car will eventually prepare brake for immediate 100% with light touch of the pedal but if you still don't try to brake it will do so on its own. What I read and understand from UK-based reviews is that it can only completely mitigate a collision (without driver intervention) under 30km/h. Still better than nothing I guess.

The infotainment system is called Ford SYNC2. Is co-developed with Microsoft like with KIA's UVO... but showfloor unit not active so cannot see how it really works. Seems like the lady SE you had bo chap type though.

Supercharged

Saw it on PIE earlier today. Very stylish and handsome car, was in black colour. Really got very good road presence.

This 2.0T is not the ecoboost anymore?

front is very nice. but the back spoiled it. not much change to the back

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

a lot of brands have actually developed systems which can auto emergency brake at high speeds when you don't respond but none are being brought here because it will lead to high costs. sigh.

only volvo and ford have brought in these low speed auto braking "old" technology which are not that useful unless at very low speeds.

C&C Merc spec list says the W205 C-class got "COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS", but strangely "DISTRONIC PLUS" is optional indent only.

But yes seems only Volvo & Ford want to bring in the system. Mazda also have but don't want to bring.

But still, every bit helps even if only at low speeds. In SG we are crawling all the time anyway.

Supercharged

a lot of brands have actually developed systems which can auto emergency brake at high speeds when you don't respond but none are being brought here

oh really?

name just one, please.

Why not wait for the Mustang to arrive then compare both? Although I've read that the Mustang is available in either a 2.3 Ecoboost or a 5L V8.

I drive an existing Ford (08') & in terms of reliability so far so good aside from the usual wear & tear issues (replaced worn brake pads, blown bulbs etc).

Not a fan though of the new 'Aston' grill design. If you stick that on an S-Max, it looks just like a catfish imo.

• Praise 1

sorry to put in a subaru outback one here. but it works at up to 70kph.

vs the system on ford focus which works only up to 20km/h which was what the SE said.

oh really?

name just one, please.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

20km/h only? That's quite low for the small-size Focus. The big and heavy S-class I can understand failing to mitigate collision though.

That's the older Focus though. Wonder how the system is now?

in a similar test done in north america, IIHS awarded the top rating to subaru legacy and outback, ahead of volvo (which will still hit at 40km/h but manages to prevent some damage).

ford doesn't seem to have improved on the technology. from the IIHS website:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/fusion-4-door-sedan/2015

the ford fusion only still has basic front crash prevention system.

well, at least ford is giving "Free" this 20km/h system and volvos r equipped with the 40km/h system. motor image is keeping cost and omv low and not equipping subarus sold here with theirs.

20km/h only? That's quite low for the small-size Focus. The big and heavy S-class I can understand failing to mitigate collision though.

That's the older Focus though. Wonder how the system is now?

Also went for test drive recently. We were told 10 - 11 km/litre.

Only allowed 10 minutes of driving, 4 of which at traffic lights (so representative of Singapore driving then)! Went in the 4 door saloon (so didn't experience the moon roof in the 5 door, or see the effect of reduced rear visibility in that model), everything else the same in both models.

Tested power, didn't notice any 'torque steer' under heavy acceleration and its super quick off the mark. Steering was light but felt true and accurate, wasn't able to test any high speed steering though. Reverse parking cam with your path vs. recommended 'glide path' is excellent, new tech to me, practiced parking twice. A yellow light goes on the right wing mirror if a car is in the blind spot (presumably) and the steering column gives light vibration feedback if you drift out of lane (once the software has detected the lane markings). This feature can be reduced or turned off completely I believe, could become annoying. The salesman mentioned adaptive cruise control (for Malaysia/highway) and some braking feature in traffic (still not sure how that works). Good salesman, not pushy, arranging test drive was easy.

Didn't test sound system, Sony with MS software for all the tech. Looks the business.

Good space for all passengers, kids love it. Wife likes the light colour scheme for seats. My gripe is the driver's footwell has little space for your left foot if you don't want to rest it on the raised thing they've put down there. Lights also throw a bluer 'artificial' light than I'm used to, but I don't do much night driving.

But if you can afford 160K, why not go a bit higher and get a RWD, luxurious, XF? Decisions…

• Praise 1

yeah, and for ard 166k can get the entry A4. I was quoted 173k before further nego for the better spec A4 at the car expo.

give the COE a few more months to drop to 60k for Cat B........

↡ Advertisement