New Ford Mondeo

Suhaimiebrahim

Turbocharged
(edited)

Also went for test drive recently. We were told 10 - 11 km/litre.

Only allowed 10 minutes of driving, 4 of which at traffic lights (so representative of Singapore driving then)! Went in the 4 door saloon (so didn't experience the moon roof in the 5 door, or see the effect of reduced rear visibility in that model), everything else the same in both models.

Tested power, didn't notice any 'torque steer' under heavy acceleration and its super quick off the mark. Steering was light but felt true and accurate, wasn't able to test any high speed steering though. Reverse parking cam with your path vs. recommended 'glide path' is excellent, new tech to me, practiced parking twice. A yellow light goes on the right wing mirror if a car is in the blind spot (presumably) and the steering column gives light vibration feedback if you drift out of lane (once the software has detected the lane markings). This feature can be reduced or turned off completely I believe, could become annoying. The salesman mentioned adaptive cruise control (for Malaysia/highway) and some braking feature in traffic (still not sure how that works). Good salesman, not pushy, arranging test drive was easy.

Didn't test sound system, Sony with MS software for all the tech. Looks the business.

Good space for all passengers, kids love it. Wife likes the light colour scheme for seats. My gripe is the driver's footwell has little space for your left foot if you don't want to rest it on the raised thing they've put down there. Lights also throw a bluer 'artificial' light than I'm used to, but I don't do much night driving.

But if you can afford 160K, why not go a bit higher and get a RWD, luxurious, XF? Decisions…

I think they told me the blind spot monitoring system (BLIS) is only for the 4dr sedan, 5dr don't have sadly. The braking feature in traffic is the collision mitigation system as I described previously. Automatic braking when it detects impending collision without response from the driver, but info suggests it's only able to mitigate collision on its own below 30km/h. Above that needs driver to heed the warning and give early-enough response.

The interior cabin lights are an aqua/cyan color, but you can change them via the touchscreen (or the steering wheel controls I think), red blue, yellow, green, white, etc. Altogether supposed to be 8 colors. Bit of a gimmick but imo adds to the ambience. I'd say it'd be nice to match it to your exterior color.

Was your salesman Anthony? I think he told me now they offering black-leather for $1.2k top up... but the catch is that it's locally done.

Also they now offering MirrorLink module for $500... the sound system's output quality been called pretty good by most other country reviews but they usually say the Sony system has 12 speakers. Ours strange strange only 8?

Problem with this car is no brand value; it's so well specced and loaded but since it's a Ford not a Volvo or Audi or anything like that it just hasn't got the 'value'. But if ignore that I think it's pretty good value for money.

Edited by 7hm
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Anyone inquired at RM what's the car's OMV?

According to LTA it was 36.4k in March (dunno if this new one or the old one lei...), now 27.5k for April (5dr).

That's quite a sharp drop.

Think the OMV for this new mondeo is like a mystery...even to the SE.

Asked 2 SEs...one said near 30k...one said 26-28k..v hard to say...

Anyway, what is the best price quoted ..anyone? Include any freebies?

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Also went for test drive recently. We were told 10 - 11 km/litre.

Only allowed 10 minutes of driving, 4 of which at traffic lights (so representative of Singapore driving then)! Went in the 4 door saloon (so didn't experience the moon roof in the 5 door, or see the effect of reduced rear visibility in that model), everything else the same in both models.

Tested power, didn't notice any 'torque steer' under heavy acceleration and its super quick off the mark. Steering was light but felt true and accurate, wasn't able to test any high speed steering though. Reverse parking cam with your path vs. recommended 'glide path' is excellent, new tech to me, practiced parking twice. A yellow light goes on the right wing mirror if a car is in the blind spot (presumably) and the steering column gives light vibration feedback if you drift out of lane (once the software has detected the lane markings). This feature can be reduced or turned off completely I believe, could become annoying. The salesman mentioned adaptive cruise control (for Malaysia/highway) and some braking feature in traffic (still not sure how that works). Good salesman, not pushy, arranging test drive was easy.

Didn't test sound system, Sony with MS software for all the tech. Looks the business.

Good space for all passengers, kids love it. Wife likes the light colour scheme for seats. My gripe is the driver's footwell has little space for your left foot if you don't want to rest it on the raised thing they've put down there. Lights also throw a bluer 'artificial' light than I'm used to, but I don't do much night driving.

But if you can afford 160K, why not go a bit higher and get a RWD, luxurious, XF? Decisions

Only 10mins.? Might as well not bother. No wonder it can never sell that many cars. Even Renault sells more. Same logic with their precious focus ST cannot test and must put deposit of 10k then can drive. I say they can keep it. It was only later on which they changed policy that they managed to move some units. Same logic was applied in one sgcarmart ad where he wanted to charge to test drive his car. Siao.

I test drove the 2015 Mondeo last month. It is a beautiful car both inside and out.

I used to drive the 2013 model which has the same power train and premium trim, and was my pick when I had to select my company car when I was based in KL then. I am essentially a specs-based guy. So I have had an extended experience with the earlier model.

It was a very comfortable ride, responsive to the right foot and very eager on the highways. Fuel consumption was decent at 11-12 km to the litre.

My experience was a very positive one back then and I was looking forward to the 2015 model with earnest and I was not disappointed. I have made up my mind to get this new model when my car runs out its COE tenure. The additional safety features like lane drift, blind spot and collision prevention are added bonuses. When I test drove the new model, it had very similar behaviour in the steering feel, agility and throttle response.

It is unfortunate that many here are brand conscious but you actually get more car for your money in the 2015 Mondeo in the 2L category.

• Praise 4

I test drove the 2015 Mondeo last month. It is a beautiful car both inside and out.

I used to drive the 2013 model which has the same power train and premium trim, and was my pick when I had to select my company car when I was based in KL then. I am essentially a specs-based guy. So I have had an extended experience with the earlier model.

It was a very comfortable ride, responsive to the right foot and very eager on the highways. Fuel consumption was decent at 11-12 km to the litre.

My experience was a very positive one back then and I was looking forward to the 2015 model with earnest and I was not disappointed. I have made up my mind to get this new model when my car runs out its COE tenure. The additional safety features like lane drift, blind spot and collision prevention are added bonuses. When I test drove the new model, it had very similar behaviour in the steering feel, agility and throttle response.

It is unfortunate that many here are brand conscious but you actually get more car for your money in the 2015 Mondeo in the 2L category.

what is the price and package u got from the SE?

Turbocharged

Thanks for your "review", Regent Motors SE.

• Praise 1

what is the price and package u got from the SE?

I was in the showroom the week before the Expo event and with all the promo, it was something like 146k if I remember correctly.

Thanks for your "review", Regent Motors SE.

Doppel, I am not a sales executive for Regent if that is what you are implying.

I was in the showroom the week before the Expo event and with all the promo, it was something like 146k if I remember correctly.

Doppel, I am not a sales executive for Regent if that is what you are implying.

146K is very good price..well the COE that time should be ard 70k... so now I guess, 154 - 155k is possible

Turbocharged
(edited)

Moving the discussion back to the collision mitigation system, I'm looking at videos of Mondeo DIS settings and the Mondeo UK userguide, it indicates there are options for Active City Stop's sensitivity and warning distance, low, medium and high. It also goes on to say Active City Stop (AEB) is only capable of working up to 25mph/40km/h.

The system operates at speeds below approximately 25 mph (40 km/h) by applying the brakes if it detects that a crash is likely. If the system applies the brakes, a message appears in the information display.

Here's another problematic sounding part:

The system does not react to cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, animals or vehicles that are driving in a different direction. Failure to take care may result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury or death.

It also states that the collision warning system only commences operation over 5km/h so it doesn't sound like you can use it as a guide to how close you are to the car in front in a traffic jam.

Oh well, I guess we all know the manufacturers have to cover their behinds in some way or another.

Edit: Looking up on Euro NCAP (the most relevant authority since the Mondeo is European and has a more advanced collision mitigation system than the Fusion does at the moment), it states that;

Ford Active City Stop is a system which helps to avoid or to mitigate accidents at low speeds. At speeds up to 30km/h, a lidar (Light Detection And Ranging) sensor positioned at the top of the windscreen scans the area up to around 7.6m ahead of the vehicle for possible obstacles. If the vehicle detects a braking, slower-moving or stationary vehicle in front and it determines that a collision is likely, the brakes are pre-charged. If the driver remains inactive (no steering or braking input), the car applies the brakes automatically and reduces engine torque.
At relative speed differences less than 15 km/h then Active CityStop may help the driver to entirely avoid the collision with the obstacle in front. If the relative speed difference between the two vehicles is between 15 and 30 km/h the impact is unavoidable through braking alone but Active City Stop will aim to reduce speed prior to the impact.
If the driver intervenes to try to avoid the accident, either by accelerating hard or by steering , Active City Stop will deactivate. Active City Stop is unusual for an autonomous emergency braking system in that it does not give the driver a warning of the impending collision, and brakes very hard, very late. This is intentional: the way in which the system intervenes is not comfortable and drivers will not become reliant on it to avoid around-town accidents.

So, basically, the system has its deniability covered. It's not an autonomous car after all, I guess.

Edited by 7hm

Neutral Newbie

Lovely car. Mondeos always feel absolutely huge whenever I drive one though.It seems to be heavily out-sold by the equivalent Mazda 6 for some reason. Pricing I assume. Some might say that the Mazda is prettier, but it's all subjective I guess!

• Praise 2

4th Gear

Lovely car. Mondeos always feel absolutely huge whenever I drive one though.It seems to be heavily out-sold by the equivalent Mazda 6 for some reason. Pricing I assume. Some might say that the Mazda is prettier, but it's all subjective I guess!

Is your assumption both Mazda 6 and Mondeo share the same platform ?

I believe they used to be back then when Ford owns Mazda.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

I'm pretty sure it feels absolutely huge because it is absolutely huge. It's longer than a Toyota Camry or aforementioned Mazda 6 and extremely wide. Easily the largest car in the "mid-size" segment (or "large sedan" for us) available in our market, close to a limo. 4.87m, just about that of a Mercedes Benz E-Class and 1.81m wide (without mirrors fully extended).

Pricing wise... the Mondeo's older gen I suppose had an outdated interior... Plus Ford just doesn't have the brand value that Mazda has. Mazda is still Japanese so they have that Japanese reliability image, whereas Ford is American and neither here nor there. (That said the Mondeo is European engineered.)

The current gen 6 is definitely more striking looking than the previous Mondeo for sure but currently I think they're both on par visually, but with different appeals.

Pricing wise, the Mondeo is actually cheaper than a full-spec 2.5 R-Grade Luxury Mazda 6 at the moment, and edges out the Mazda 6 in most metrics apart from fuel economy in terms of specs and equipment.

Is your assumption both Mazda 6 and Mondeo share the same platform ?

I believe they used to be back then when Ford owns Mazda.

The Mondeo is on a platform that is different from the old Mazda 6's which was used for some Ford American models. The Mondeo uses something called EUCD that has some similarity to their compact platform which had engineering derived from the Mazda 3, if what I'm reading is correct. But SkyActiv (current Mazda 3, CX5, 6) is a wholly self-developed platform for Mazda that they are not sharing with Ford, though they're sharing it a bit with Toyota.

In short the previous and current Mondeo do not use Mazda platforms and the Mazda 6 right now uses a new and uniquely Mazda-only platform. But yes Ford did use the Mazda platform for some other cars...

Edited by 7hm

4th Gear

You'll never know there exist like-minded people until you go online. :a-good:

There is Mondeo, and actually, many more.

You'll never know there exist like-minded people until you go online. :a-good:

There is Mondeo, and actually, many more.

Exactly right. For cars 2L and below there are now so many models to get a quality competent product without having to call on the premium brands.

Moving the discussion back to the collision mitigation system, I'm looking at videos of Mondeo DIS settings and the Mondeo UK userguide, it indicates there are options for Active City Stop's sensitivity and warning distance, low, medium and high. It also goes on to say Active City Stop (AEB) is only capable of working up to 25mph/40km/h.

Here's another problematic sounding part:

It also states that the collision warning system only commences operation over 5km/h so it doesn't sound like you can use it as a guide to how close you are to the car in front in a traffic jam.

Oh well, I guess we all know the manufacturers have to cover their behinds in some way or another.

Edit: Looking up on Euro NCAP (the most relevant authority since the Mondeo is European and has a more advanced collision mitigation system than the Fusion does at the moment), it states that;

So, basically, the system has its deniability covered. It's not an autonomous car after all, I guess.

In driving, the driver must still be in control. Technology and gadgets are there in a supporting role to highlight potential conflict with other road users.

146K is very good price..well the COE that time should be ard 70k... so now I guess, 154 - 155k is possible

ref to my earlier post.....

i was at the showroom just b4 the expo show. was quoted 166k for the 5 door. if it was 146k i would be swayed very much liao towards the car.

now list price is 176.9k for 5 dr. how much disc you think they will give?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

i was at the showroom just b4 the expo show. was quoted 166k for the 5 door. if it was 146k i would be swayed very much liao towards the car.

last I went 2 or 3 weeks ago I think they said they offer to me is 162k with in-house financing of 5 year loan. Probably can squeeze lower...

Edited by 7hm

146k is the Teik said one... but 160k for 4 dr and 162k for 5 dr is the standard price now if u walk in now.

if below 160k..will u take?

Anyway... between Mondeo and volvo S60 D2. which is a better n more reliable choice?

↡ Advertisement