New Ford Mondeo

Suhaimiebrahim

I beg to differ on this.

When news broke that the 1.5 will replace the 2.0 here, what I heard myself from frens and also from the RM SE is that those sitting on the fence were pretty upset. i.e. the 2.0 is much preferred.

I think it is because of the price positioning of the 1.5 and 2.0 relative to its specs. The 2.0 is fully loaded to match or exceed brands/models but it cost 20-40K cheaper. The 1.5 on the other hand, have its spec downgraded but it is only 10-15K cheaper than the 2.0. I think RM have gotten totally wrong on this.

As for $150K budget, yes, it could get you entry level Merc or BMW. Come on, the truth is the amount can only get you a 'poverty package' of their offering. I fully recognize their premium status as car manufacturer and that earn them the right to charge for their badge. But that's about it. Paying for the brand and what they stand for. Make no mistake, I think their build quality and drive etc are fantastic. Once I earn enuff in the future, I am sure I will buy either. Just not their entry level poverty packages. :)

Hi is like trying to compare the class of 5 series (aka Mondeo) against 3 series (aka C Class,3 series) class and tell ppls that they are the same LoL

Turbocharged

Hmmm.. Dim LED, not that I have spotted any yet. Will go check it out when it is dark.

you reckon can make a claim with RM on this one?

Probably can be considered an under-warranty defect, but at the same time I'm not positive they will do anything about it unless they're capable of replacing individual diodes. These headlamps look kind of like complete assemblies, but then again I did see that video of it being put in 'exploded view' - the DRL strip is a component.

Wow. Haha. But I doubt the sales will be good for the 1.0 unless it's really cheap. People who wants to buy a 1 litre car wouldnt be looking for a large one like the mondeo. The only market left is people who wants the buy a large car but wouldnt mind a 1litre engine.

I believe this is how our market will react. There must be a reason why they bring back the 2.0 after they replaced it with the 1.5.

Part of the appeal of the 2.0L model was the long list of equipment they came with, including advanced features such as radar-based adaptive cruise and active collision mitigation. I think the new batch of 2.0Ls have these, which would be a strong selling point.

Turbocharged

i thought they would bring 1.0T in just to put it in Cat A.

Think it is tuned to be more than 130hp in the Fusion/Mondeo, but I could be wrong. I know it's definitely got more than power than the version used in the Fiesta/Focus to make up for the substantially higher weight.

Turbocharged

I've reading about the 1.0 L and I get varying numbers from 123 to 125 bhp or 125 ps...

125ps should be around 122~124hp, ya. Our 2.0L 240ps is 237hp

The 1.0 L EcoBoost is super impressive tech for just 998 cc displacement... imagine producing more than 100 bhp per litre with a light pressure turbo and at low accessible engine speeds. However I think it's still more suitable for the Focus and really impressive for a Fiesta size car. I am sure if not for emission and fuel consumption restrictions imposed by the US & Europe, they can easily squeeze out 150 bhp from the engine matching the 1.5 L EcoBoost.

Turbocharged
(edited)

My style of reviewing is excessively long. That might be why I haven't gotten myself around to writing the drive/experience sections. Still, might as well post what I've got so far, see if this kind of miss-no-detail writing is helpful to everyone. On the other hand, it might wind up being irrelevant if the facelift comes in earlier than expected [dead]

In the last decade, Ford has gradually fallen out of the public eye in this country, occupying a limbo zone between the "Reliable Japanese" and "German Engineering", being an American brand.
However the current crop of Fords sold globally outside of America, here included, are engineering tour de forces from Ford Europe, which is mostly German. The 'One Ford' plan resulted in the 2012 debut of the Fusion 2, and now, three years later, the Mondeo Mk V.
The Mondeo Mk V is, thus, three years late – thanks to the closure of Ford’s Genk facility. Fret not, for Ford Europe has taken the opportunity to bring new technology and refinement to the CD391 for its European & ROW debut.

Ford Mondeo Mk V (CD391) EcoBoost 2.0 Titanium
VITAL STATS
ASSEMBLY LOCATION: Ford Valencia, Spain
CLASS: EXECUTIVE MID-SIZE SEDAN
CENTURY SPRINT: 7.9s
MAX SPEED: 240km/h
TURNING CIRCLE: 5.78m
EFFICIENCY: 7.95 ~ 13.3km/l, 174~186 g/km of CO2
ENGINE: 1,999cc Ford EcoBoost GTDi (Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection)
ENGINE LAYOUT: DOHC turbocharged transverse-mounted straight-4Cyl-16V
MAX POWER: 237hp @ 5,300RPM
MAX TORQUE: 345Nm @ 2,300~4,900RPM
TRANSMISSION: Front wheel-drive, 6-speed, Automatic, Ford/GM 6F35 SelectShift with paddle shifters
FRONT SUSPENSION: Independent McPherson Strut
REAR SUSPENSION: Independent integral-link
STEERING: Electric power assisted rack&pinion
DIMENSIONS: 4,871×1,863×1,476 mm, 2,850mm wheelbase, 140~157mm ground clearance
WEIGHT: 1,695kg
BOOT CAPACITY: 453L (seats up) ~ 1,400L (seats down)

EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS
Ford Dynamic LED adaptive headlamps
Engine sound symposer
Premium hybrid-digital instrumentation
Pre-Collision Assist with Active Braking
Adaptive Cruise Control
Lane Keeping Assistance
Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)

7 air bags
8 parking sensors, 4-front, 4 rear, rear view camera with dynamic guideline
Full keyless access and start with Ford MyKey
Full Ceramic leather interior with 10-way powered front seats and steering wheel
3x memory for driver
Ford/Microsoft SYNC II with MyFordTouch entertainment system
9 speaker (5.0+4T) SONY audio system
Powered sunroof
8-color ambient LED lighting

EXTERIOR
Let’s start with what everyone sees first with your car – the “outlook”, or exterior. For many people, this is one of the most important things – you know what they say, first impressions matter! A good looking car, no matter how sluggish, can earn its keep from customers, somehow. It’s also something most people can agree or argue over.
That aside, the Mondeo Mk V might look familiar if you have been to America. Over there, they sell it as the 2nd generation Ford Fusion, which debuted in 2012 and began sales in 2013. You might be wondering why I mention this, but I simply want to get it out of the way that this car’s design dates back a few years.
The CD391 Fusion and Mondeo are a collaborative effort of Ford Europe and Ford America, but one will find more in common with the previous Mondeo than the previous Fusion in the new car.

Perhaps the first thing you might notice about the new Mondeo is its seductively sporty and rakish profile – you might even feel compelled to call it a four-door coupé. The hatchback version plays this up even further with a constant rake on the rear, whereas the sedan could be considered a “notchback”.

Moving further down the back, the tail lights may look somewhat dated and feel like a throwback to the previous Mondeo, with somewhat similar shape. But once again, remember, this design came out in 2012 and many other marques have adopted similar styles (the KIA Cerato/Forte K3 and facelifted Optima K5, Nissan’s Qashqai, etc.). The tail lights use a fibreoptic outline while the brake lights and indicators are LED diodes situated inside the outline. Reverse lights are plain old bulbs, however. A row of LEDs in a small roof spoiler make up the HMSL.
Moving even further downwards, the Mondeo’s rear is distinct due to the use of a bulging rear end with a virtually non-existent lip. A thick plastic bulk is used here for crash protection, and on the 2.0L models, twin exhaust garnishes can be found on the bottom trim. Of course, a closer look will reveal that the actual exhaust pipes are rather small, but you do have a genuine twin exhaust on this machine.

The plastic bulwark is designed as a crash safety buffer, but it's not considered rigid enough to hold a bicycle rack. You have been warned.

Move back to the fore and the Mondeo’s front end is dominated by its contentious Ford family grille, which has been repeatedly compared to Aston Martin’s. (The British marque was once under Ford, and indeed Mondeos have been Bond cars!) Although I don’t feel much for it, it definitely makes for an eyecatching and unique look that you won’t find elsewhere. It also provides a generous intake area for the radiator, so technical props. (Looking at the Mk IV Mondeo next to the Mk V made me kind of realize they swapped the positions of the small grille and the big one. Chuckle?)

The Mondeo also features Ford’s Dynamic LED headlamps that use slim laser-cut projectors for a focused appearance, though the circular halogen foglamps look somewhat dated today. Adding to their wow factor, the front indicators run outwards in a scrolling fashion. Stylistically, I get comments on how slim and 'focused looking' the headlamps are, and they seem to change 'expression' depending on your viewing angle. Ford does say a design target was slim headlamps.

More on the headlamps later.
A closer look at the front profile also reveals that the entire front end is a single piece bumper, but you’ll also notice that it doesn’t have a particular protruding part as might be seen on other cars. This gives the Mondeo Mk V a resemblance (in my opinion anyway) to a snub-nosed shark, which I quite like as a whole. Headlamps as eyes, grille as a mouth, fogs as fangs… yeah.

A serious downside to the one-piece design is that the entire piece has to come off for things like replacing the headlamps, or for that matter, minor damage to said front bumper.

Then there are the devils in the details, such as the rear windows that avoid extra seams by retracting fully, while there are front quarter windows too. The front hood features a bulging power dome and the side character line cuts a clean swath across the length of the car through the door handles. Said door handles are also interestingly shaped to add to the sensation of sporty sleekness. Ford also moved their badge onto the top of the nose and recessed it to evoke exquisite craftsmanship and improve aerodynamics.
Equipped on the 2.0L cars are classic-looking 18” 20-spoke bi-tone alloy rims which add to the upmarket look, but you’ll loathe cleaning them. Local 1.5L models came with 16" rims which looked comical by comparison.
On this sedan, as well, is a glass-type antenna, whereas hatchbacks have, I believe, an right-offset sharkfin.

Also equipped are puddle lamps under the wing mirrors which double as welcome lighting. The Mondeo also activates its daytime running lights and rear fibreoptics when unlocked. Unlike other marques such as BMW though, there aren't any lights on the door handles.

Compared to the previous Mondeo, the windows are of lower profile (less glass area) and the rear more sleek, while the wing mirrors have also been shifted onto the doors, which Ford says is to improve aerodynamics. According to Ford, the roof-mounted HMSL is intended to make the car appear more upmarket as most upper class cars put theirs there. They also say it helps declutter the rear, compared to the previous car’s, which had it on the decklid.
As a whole, the Mondeo is still a great looking car, even next to rivals such as the Mazda6, with an unmistakeable design that stands out in the non-premium mid-size space.

INTERIOR
Once a person gets past the exterior of the car, the main place they’re spending their time with a car is on the inside. Here, the Mondeo Mk V does show its true age as the Fusion somewhat. The experience begins with the unlocking - interior lights also activate, welcoming you into the car.

To start with though, a keen observer will notice that the shape of the central console is a throwback to the Mondeo Mk IV. However, the interior still looks very modern with an 8.0” touch screen taking center stage. Interior styling is neat and clean with some clever touches such as the air-con vents closing mechanism. The trim on Titanium models is dominated by a plain looking gray plastic, while other sections are highlighted with matte silver and there are a few bits of reflective chrome, such as the instrument panel surround. There are also odd bits of piano black plastic. Personally, I would have preferred less variety in material.

Key surfaces such as the armrests are also covered in black leather (artificial I think) while the seats in my 2.0L are leather (in “Ceramic” beige), while the main surfaces that you spend your time touching such as the top of the dash are pleasing soft-touch plastics.

The SONY sound system also features a front faceplate designed by the Japanese company, which is peculiarly plainer than the wing-shaped cluster used by the unbranded sound system. The SONY system makes copious use of circular buttons, which look plain but make for clear legibility and unity. More on the SYNC II and SONY infotainment system later, but I'd give it a "positive" rating.
Again, the details are important; you’ll also notice that the top of the dash isn’t symmetrical, with a noticeable curve that gives a sense of focus towards the driver. The “VOL” in the volume knob doesn’t rotate with the knob, like it does in, say, a Volkswagen, and the car features theatre-style gradual dimming for the bright interior courtesy lighting. Said interior lighting uses directional lights for the left and right for both the front and back.

Ergonomics are fine with everything at easy reach, though I would complain about the positioning of the cup holders – having both filled gets in the way your arm when reaching for the gear knob. Said gear knob feels solid and has a nice grippy shape. It's also the kind which doesn't follow a weird maze pattern, but it also doesn't push to one-side for manual up-down - the paddle shifters are the only method of manual control on this car, which is better than the weird rocker-switch setup that Ford also uses.
All interior switches are illuminated by a clear aqua-blue glow, and all switchgear feels solid, though the steering wheel D-pads are a bit awkward. Overall, craftsmanship is good and above the average, but if you are looking for a match for the Mercedes E-Class, look elsewhere. Plastic quality is good sans for some lower surfaces, but all soft-touch surfaces you will be actually reaching for a frequent basis feel good.
I did find some defects on my car on delivery like scratches on the gear lever surround and a poorly fixed on up-paddle back, and there is a peculiar notch on the back of my steering column as well.

Settle in the driver’s seat and you’ll be greeted with a hybrid-TFT-analog instrument panel with digital needles featuring a three-zone layout – the center of the tach is a screen for control of all car settings and information, while the center displays infotainment or a compass. The speedometer also houses the active safety display for the forward distance alerts and lane keeping assistance.

All information vital to operation can be accessed here such as the trip computer.

If you are like me and have your Mondeo's seat raised high, you will encounter a parallax issue with the virtual needles being slightly misaligned. Worth taking note of.

The sports seats are snug and comfortable, though slightly thin. Being sports seats, you’ll find the side bolsters longer than some other cars, but it’s quite easy to settle into them for a long journey in comfort. Both front seats get ten way adjustments (including lumbar), while the driver gets three memory settings which can be tied to the smart access keys. To me, the intended seating position seems almost sports-car low, and I have the seat raised up as I prefer to be able to see the bonnet. Obviously, your mileage may vary, so try it yourself.

The driver’s seat also offers an “easy entry & exit” feature (can be disabled), which moves the seat back several centimeters and moves the steering wheel up when powering down the car in Park. Curiously, Regent brought in the cars with heated seats, instead of the much more useful (in our climate) cooled seats.

The steering wheel has a rather thin rim but has thumb notches. Its design is a hit or miss for some, but for people who like to grip the bottom, there is a helpful cut out there. Ford no longer marks their start button with “FORD POWER” though, which is a little sad.
Rear passengers are also generously accounted for with loads and loads of legroom and rear vents for the dual-zone auto air-con, but the sporty roofline makes for compromised headroom for the tallest occupants, though a Caucasian was comfortable in my back seats. A rear armrest with a ski-hatch also offers a storage compartment (could fit a magazine I think) and a pair of cupholders for your passengers.
The interior also offers plenty of useful cubby spaces in the front with a Volvo-style storage tray under the touchscreen, a good-sized glovebox with two shelves and a net, while the armrest hides a sizable compartment that even integrates a storage tray. A sunglasses holder is also up top, with the sunroof controls. Front passengers enjoy bottle-holding door cubbies as do rear passengers who also get seat-back pockets (not the net-type mind you). You’ll also find interior theft sensors on the roof console.

The last major interior detail I’d like to mention are the beautiful 8-color (well, 3 of those colors are blues) LED ambience lighting, which illuminates under the rear air-con vents, the front footwells, front storage spaces and front door handles. I'd say they could be brighter though.

Visibility from the driver’s seat is a little compromised for the front and rear quarters, thanks to rather thick pillars, but forward, sideward and rear visibility is all fine.

The 1.0 L EcoBoost is super impressive tech for just 998 cc displacement... imagine producing more than 100 bhp per litre with a light pressure turbo and at low accessible engine speeds. However I think it's still more suitable for the Focus and really impressive for a Fiesta size car. I am sure if not for emission and fuel consumption restrictions imposed by the US & Europe, they can easily squeeze out 150 bhp from the engine matching the 1.5 L EcoBoost.

It's interesting to note that the 1.0L EcoBoost thus still has one of, if not the highest power/capacity ratios in the budding three-cylinder eco-mill class - 125ps/litre. By comparison the 1.2L PureTech does 130ps (108.3ps/litre) and BMW's 1.5L as seen in the 218 AT/GT does about 136ps I think (that's 90.6ps/litre)

However, the 1.0L EcoBoost is arguably not the most efficient three cylinder we can buy today. -_- Doesn't help that it encourages you to [drivingcar] and damage the economy numbers.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

My style of reviewing is excessively long. That might be why I haven't gotten myself around to writing the drive/experience sections. Still, might as well post what I've got so far, see if this kind of miss-no-detail writing is helpful to everyone. On the other hand, it might wind up being irrelevant if the facelift comes in earlier than expected [dead]

In the last decade, Ford has gradually fallen out of the public eye in this country, occupying a limbo zone between the "Reliable Japanese" and "German Engineering", being an American brand.

However the current crop of Fords sold globally outside of America, here included, are engineering tour de forces from Ford Europe, which is mostly German. The 'One Ford' plan resulted in the 2012 debut of the Fusion 2, and now, three years later, the Mondeo Mk V.

The Mondeo Mk V is, thus, three years late – thanks to the closure of Ford’s Genk facility. Fret not, for Ford Europe has taken the opportunity to bring new technology and refinement to the CD391 for its European & ROW debut.

VITAL STATS

TRANSMISSION: Front wheel-drive, 6-speed, Automatic, Ford/GM 6F35 SelectShift

DIMENSIONS: 4,871×1,863×1,476 mm, 2,850mm wheelbase, 140~157mm ground clearance

EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS

Engine sound symposer

Adaptive Cruise Control

Lane Keeping Assistance

7 air bags

Full Ceramic leather interior with 10-way powered front seats and steering wheel

3x memory for driver

Powered sunroof

EXTERIOR

Let’s start with what everyone sees first with your car – the “outlook”, or exterior. For many people, this is one of the most important things – you know what they say, first impressions matter! A good looking car, no matter how sluggish, can earn its keep from customers, somehow. It’s also something most people can agree or argue over.

That aside, the Mondeo Mk V might look familiar if you have been to America. Over there, they sell it as the 2nd generation Ford Fusion, which debuted in 2012 and began sales in 2013. You might be wondering why I mention this, but I simply want to get it out of the way that this car’s design dates back a few years.

The CD391 Fusion and Mondeo are a collaborative effort of Ford Europe and Ford America, but one will find more in common with the previous Mondeo than the previous Fusion in the new car.

Perhaps the first thing you might notice about the new Mondeo is its seductively sporty and rakish profile – you might even feel compelled to call it a four-door coupé. The hatchback version plays this up even further with a constant rake on the rear, whereas the sedan could be considered a “notchback”.

Moving further down the back, the tail lights may look somewhat dated and feel like a throwback to the previous Mondeo, with somewhat similar shape. But once again, remember, this design came out in 2012 and many other marques have adopted similar styles (the KIA Cerato/Forte K3 and facelifted Optima K5, Nissan’s Qashqai, etc.). The tail lights use a fibreoptic outline while the brake lights and indicators are LED diodes situated inside the outline. Reverse lights are plain old bulbs, however. A row of LEDs in a small roof spoiler make up the HMSL.

Moving even further downwards, the Mondeo’s rear is distinct due to the use of a bulging rear end with a virtually non-existent lip. A thick plastic bulk is used here for crash protection, and on the 2.0L models, twin exhaust garnishes can be found on the bottom trim. Of course, a closer look will reveal that the actual exhaust pipes are rather small, but you do have a genuine twin exhaust on this machine.

The plastic bulwark is designed as a crash safety buffer, but it's not considered rigid enough to hold a bicycle rack. You have been warned.

Move back to the fore and the Mondeo’s front end is dominated by its contentious Ford family grille, which has been repeatedly compared to Aston Martin’s. Although I don’t feel much for it, it definitely makes for an eyecatching and unique look that you won’t find elsewhere. It also provides a generous intake area for the radiator, so technical props. (Looking at the Mk IV Mondeo next to the Mk V made me kind of realize they swapped the positions of the small grille and the big one. Chuckle?)

The Mondeo also features Ford’s Dynamic LED headlamps that use slim laser-cut projectors for a focused appearance, though the circular halogen foglamps look somewhat dated today. Adding to their wow factor, the front indicators run outwards in a scrolling fashion. Stylistically, I get comments on how slim and 'focused looking' the headlamps are, and they seem to change 'expression' depending on your viewing angle. Ford does say a design target was slim headlamps.

A closer look at the front profile also reveals that the entire front end is a single piece bumper, but you’ll also notice that it doesn’t have a particular protruding part as might be seen on other cars. This gives the Mondeo Mk V a resemblance (in my opinion anyway) to a snub-nosed shark, which I quite like as a whole. Headlamps as eyes, grille as a mouth, fogs as fangs… yeah.

A serious downside to the one-piece design is that the entire piece has to come off for things like replacing the headlamps, or for that matter, minor damage to said front bumper.

Then there are the devils in the details, such as the rear windows that avoid extra seams by retracting fully, while there are front quarter windows too. The front hood features a bulging power dome and the side character line cuts a clean swath across the length of the car through the door handles. Said door handles are also interestingly shaped to add to the sensation of sporty sleekness. Ford also moved their badge onto the top of the nose and recessed it to evoke exquisite craftsmanship and improve aerodynamics.

Equipped on the 2.0L cars are classic-looking 18” 20-spoke bi-tone alloy rims which add to the upmarket look, but you’ll loathe cleaning them. Local 1.5L models came with 16" rims which looked comical by comparison.

On this sedan, as well, is a glass-type antenna, whereas hatchbacks have, I believe, an right-offset sharkfin.

Also equipped are puddle lamps under the wing mirrors which double as welcome lighting. The Mondeo also activates its daytime running lights and rear fibreoptics when unlocked. Unlike other marques such as BMW though, there aren't any lights on the door handles.

Compared to the previous Mondeo, the windows are of lower profile (less glass area) and the rear more sleek, while the wing mirrors have also been shifted onto the doors, which Ford says is to improve aerodynamics. According to Ford, the roof-mounted HMSL is intended to make the car appear more upmarket as most upper class cars put theirs there. They also say it helps declutter the rear, compared to the previous car’s, which had it on the decklid.

As a whole, the Mondeo is still a great looking car, even next to rivals such as the Mazda6, with an unmistakeable design that stands out in the non-premium mid-size space.

INTERIOR

Once a person gets past the exterior of the car, the main place they’re spending their time with a car is on the inside. Here, the Mondeo Mk V does show its true age as the Fusion somewhat. The experience begins with the unlocking - interior lights also activate, welcoming you into the car.

To start with though, a keen observer will notice that the shape of the central console is a throwback to the Mondeo Mk IV. However, the interior still looks very modern with an 8.0” touch screen taking center stage. Interior styling is neat and clean with some clever touches such as the air-con vents closing mechanism. The trim on Titanium models is dominated by a plain looking gray plastic, while other sections are highlighted with matte silver and there are a few bits of reflective chrome, such as the instrument panel surround. There are also odd bits of piano black plastic. Personally, I would have preferred less variety in material.

Key surfaces such as the armrests are also covered in black leather (artificial I think) while the seats in my 2.0L are leather (in “Ceramic” beige), while the main surfaces that you spend your time touching such as the top of the dash are pleasing soft-touch plastics.

The SONY sound system also features a front faceplate designed by the Japanese company, which is peculiarly plainer than the wing-shaped cluster used by the unbranded sound system. The SONY system makes copious use of circular buttons, which look plain but make for clear legibility and unity. More on the SYNC II and SONY infotainment system later, but I'd give it a "positive" rating.

Again, the details are important; you’ll also notice that the top of the dash isn’t symmetrical, with a noticeable curve that gives a sense of focus towards the driver. The “VOL” in the volume knob doesn’t rotate with the knob, like it does in, say, a Volkswagen, and the car features theatre-style gradual dimming for the bright interior courtesy lighting. Said interior lighting uses directional lights for the left and right for both the front and back.

Ergonomics are fine with everything at easy reach, though I would complain about the positioning of the cup holders – having both filled gets in the way your arm when reaching for the gear knob.

All interior switches are illuminated by a clear aqua-blue glow, and all switchgear feels solid, though the steering wheel D-pads are a bit awkward. Overall, craftsmanship is good and above the average, but if you are looking for a match for the Mercedes E-Class, look elsewhere. Plastic quality is good sans for some lower surfaces, but all soft-touch surfaces you will be actually reaching for a frequent basis feel good.

I did find some defects on my car on delivery like scratches on the gear lever surround and a poorly fixed on up-paddle back, and there is a peculiar notch on the back of my steering column as well.

Settle in the driver’s seat and you’ll be greeted with a hybrid-TFT-analog instrument panel with digital needles featuring a three-zone layout – the center of the tach is a screen for control of all car settings and information, while the center displays infotainment or a compass. The speedometer also houses the active safety display for the forward distance alerts and lane keeping assistance.

If you are like me and have your Mondeo's seat raised high, you will encounter a parallax issue with the virtual needles being slightly misaligned. Worth taking note of.

The sports seats are snug and comfortable, though slightly thin. Being sports seats, you’ll find the side bolsters longer than some other cars, but it’s quite easy to settle into them for a long journey in comfort. Both front seats get ten way adjustments (including lumbar), while the driver gets three memory settings which can be tied to the smart access keys. To me, the intended seating position seems almost sports-car low, and I have the seat raised up as I prefer to be able to see the bonnet. Obviously, your mileage may vary, so try it yourself.

The driver’s seat also offers an “easy entry & exit” feature (can be disabled), which moves the seat back several centimeters and moves the steering wheel up when powering down the car in Park. Curiously, Regent brought in the cars with heated seats, instead of the much more useful (in our climate) cooled seats.

The steering wheel has a rather thin rim but has thumb notches. Its design is a hit or miss for some, but for people who like to grip the bottom, there is a helpful cut out there. Ford no longer marks their start button with “FORD POWER” though, which is a little sad.

Rear passengers are also generously accounted for with loads and loads of legroom and rear vents for the dual-zone auto air-con, but the sporty roofline makes for compromised headroom for the tallest occupants, though a Caucasian was comfortable in my back seats. A rear armrest with a ski-hatch also offers a storage compartment (could fit a magazine I think) and a pair of cupholders for your passengers.

The interior also offers plenty of useful cubby spaces in the front with a Volvo-style storage tray under the touchscreen, a good-sized glovebox with two shelves and a net, while the armrest hides a sizable compartment that even integrates a storage tray. A sunglasses holder is also up top, with the sunroof controls. Front passengers enjoy bottle-holding door cubbies as do rear passengers who also get seat-back pockets (not the net-type mind you). You’ll also find interior theft sensors on the roof console.

The last major interior detail I’d like to mention are the beautiful 8-color (well, 3 of those colors are blues) LED ambience lighting, which illuminates under the rear air-con vents, the front footwells, front storage spaces and front door handles. I'd say they could be brighter though.

Visibility from the driver’s seat is a little compromised for the front and rear quarters, thanks to rather thick pillars, but forward, sideward and rear visibility is all fine.

pretty heavy car @ 1.7MT for a 5 seater sedan

:blink:

Edited by Enye

Turbocharged
(edited)

pretty heavy car @ 1.7MT for a 5 seater sedan

:blink:

It is pretty heavy, but good news is you don't feel the weight too much on the open road. [drivingcar]

The platform's age and the size of the machine contribute to the weight. It's also lavishly equipped.

But in comparison, a W212 E-Class is also around 1,650kg. Also for comparison, on a similar platform, is Volvo's S60, which starts at 1,570kg! [shocked]

Edited by 7hm

Hypersonic

It is pretty heavy, but good news is you don't feel the weight too much on the open road. [drivingcar]

The platform's age and the size of the machine contribute to the weight. It's also lavishly equipped.

But in comparison, a W212 E-Class is also around 1,650kg. Also for comparison, on a similar platform, is Volvo's S60, which starts at 1,570kg! [shocked]

how's the FC for city driving?

my full size 7 seater mpv is only about 1 adult passenger weight more than the mondeo and yeah FC is atrocious

[sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

how's the FC for city driving?

my full size 7 seater mpv is only about 1 adult passenger weight more than the mondeo and yeah FC is atrocious

[sweatdrop]

If you are stuck in a serious traffic jam like I was recently I think you can expect less than 6km/l for that bit. The stop-and-go efficiency with this last generation drivetrain and heavy body is really atrocious, which is my number one con for the 2.0L Mondeo.

• Praise 1

The Mondeo Mk V is, thus, three years late â thanks to the closure of Fordâs Genk facility. Fret not, for Ford Europe has taken the opportunity to bring new technology and refinement to the CD391 for its European & ROW debut.

VITAL STATS

TRANSMISSION: Front wheel-drive, 6-speed, Automatic, Ford/GM 6F35 SelectShift with paddle shifters

DIMENSIONS: 4,871Ã1,863Ã1,476 mm, 2,850mm wheelbase, 140~157mm ground clearance

EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS

Engine sound symposer

Adaptive Cruise Control

Lane Keeping Assistance

7 air bags

3x memory for driver

Powered sunroof

EXTERIOR

Letâs start with what everyone sees first with your car â the âoutlookâ, or exterior. For many people, this is one of the most important things â you know what they say, first impressions matter! A good looking car, no matter how sluggish, can earn its keep from customers, somehow. Itâs also something most people can agree or argue over.

That aside, the Mondeo Mk V might look familiar if you have been to America. Over there, they sell it as the 2nd generation Ford Fusion, which debuted in 2012 and began sales in 2013. You might be wondering why I mention this, but I simply want to get it out of the way that this carâs design dates back a few years.

Perhaps the first thing you might notice about the new Mondeo is its seductively sporty and rakish profile â you might even feel compelled to call it a four-door coupé. The hatchback version plays this up even further with a constant rake on the rear, whereas the sedan could be considered a ânotchbackâ.

Moving further down the back, the tail lights may look somewhat dated and feel like a throwback to the previous Mondeo, with somewhat similar shape. But once again, remember, this design came out in 2012 and many other marques have adopted similar styles (the KIA Cerato/Forte K3 and facelifted Optima K5, Nissanâs Qashqai, etc.). The tail lights use a fibreoptic outline while the brake lights and indicators are LED diodes situated inside the outline. Reverse lights are plain old bulbs, however. A row of LEDs in a small roof spoiler make up the HMSL.

Moving even further downwards, the Mondeoâs rear is distinct due to the use of a bulging rear end with a virtually non-existent lip. A thick plastic bulk is used here for crash protection, and on the 2.0L models, twin exhaust garnishes can be found on the bottom trim. Of course, a closer look will reveal that the actual exhaust pipes are rather small, but you do have a genuine twin exhaust on this machine.

Move back to the fore and the Mondeoâs front end is dominated by its contentious Ford family grille, which has been repeatedly compared to Aston Martinâs. (The British marque was once under Ford, and indeed Mondeos have been Bond cars!) Although I donât feel much for it, it definitely makes for an eyecatching and unique look that you wonât find elsewhere. It also provides a generous intake area for the radiator, so technical props. (Looking at the Mk IV Mondeo next to the Mk V made me kind of realize they swapped the positions of the small grille and the big one. Chuckle?)

The Mondeo also features Fordâs Dynamic LED headlamps that use slim laser-cut projectors for a focused appearance, though the circular halogen foglamps look somewhat dated today. Adding to their wow factor, the front indicators run outwards in a scrolling fashion. Stylistically, I get comments on how slim and 'focused looking' the headlamps are, and they seem to change 'expression' depending on your viewing angle. Ford does say a design target was slim headlamps.

A closer look at the front profile also reveals that the entire front end is a single piece bumper, but youâll also notice that it doesnât have a particular protruding part as might be seen on other cars. This gives the Mondeo Mk V a resemblance (in my opinion anyway) to a snub-nosed shark, which I quite like as a whole. Headlamps as eyes, grille as a mouth, fogs as fangs⦠yeah.

Equipped on the 2.0L cars are classic-looking 18â 20-spoke bi-tone alloy rims which add to the upmarket look, but youâll loathe cleaning them. Local 1.5L models came with 16" rims which looked comical by comparison.

Compared to the previous Mondeo, the windows are of lower profile (less glass area) and the rear more sleek, while the wing mirrors have also been shifted onto the doors, which Ford says is to improve aerodynamics. According to Ford, the roof-mounted HMSL is intended to make the car appear more upmarket as most upper class cars put theirs there. They also say it helps declutter the rear, compared to the previous carâs, which had it on the decklid.

INTERIOR

Once a person gets past the exterior of the car, the main place theyâre spending their time with a car is on the inside. Here, the Mondeo Mk V does show its true age as the Fusion somewhat. The experience begins with the unlocking - interior lights also activate, welcoming you into the car.

To start with though, a keen observer will notice that the shape of the central console is a throwback to the Mondeo Mk IV. However, the interior still looks very modern with an 8.0â touch screen taking center stage. Interior styling is neat and clean with some clever touches such as the air-con vents closing mechanism. The trim on Titanium models is dominated by a plain looking gray plastic, while other sections are highlighted with matte silver and there are a few bits of reflective chrome, such as the instrument panel surround. There are also odd bits of piano black plastic. Personally, I would have preferred less variety in material.

Key surfaces such as the armrests are also covered in black leather (artificial I think) while the seats in my 2.0L are leather (in âCeramicâ beige), while the main surfaces that you spend your time touching such as the top of the dash are pleasing soft-touch plastics.

Again, the details are important; youâll also notice that the top of the dash isnât symmetrical, with a noticeable curve that gives a sense of focus towards the driver. The âVOLâ in the volume knob doesnât rotate with the knob, like it does in, say, a Volkswagen, and the car features theatre-style gradual dimming for the bright interior courtesy lighting. Said interior lighting uses directional lights for the left and right for both the front and back.

Ergonomics are fine with everything at easy reach, though I would complain about the positioning of the cup holders â having both filled gets in the way your arm when reaching for the gear knob. Said gear knob feels solid and has a nice grippy shape. It's also the kind which doesn't follow a weird maze pattern, but it also doesn't push to one-side for manual up-down - the paddle shifters are the only method of manual control on this car, which is better than the weird rocker-switch setup that Ford also uses.

Settle in the driverâs seat and youâll be greeted with a hybrid-TFT-analog instrument panel with digital needles featuring a three-zone layout â the center of the tach is a screen for control of all car settings and information, while the center displays infotainment or a compass. The speedometer also houses the active safety display for the forward distance alerts and lane keeping assistance.

All information vital to operation can be accessed here such as the trip computer.

The sports seats are snug and comfortable, though slightly thin. Being sports seats, youâll find the side bolsters longer than some other cars, but itâs quite easy to settle into them for a long journey in comfort. Both front seats get ten way adjustments (including lumbar), while the driver gets three memory settings which can be tied to the smart access keys. To me, the intended seating position seems almost sports-car low, and I have the seat raised up as I prefer to be able to see the bonnet. Obviously, your mileage may vary, so try it yourself.

The driverâs seat also offers an âeasy entry & exitâ feature (can be disabled), which moves the seat back several centimeters and moves the steering wheel up when powering down the car in Park. Curiously, Regent brought in the cars with heated seats, instead of the much more useful (in our climate) cooled seats.

The steering wheel has a rather thin rim but has thumb notches. Its design is a hit or miss for some, but for people who like to grip the bottom, there is a helpful cut out there. Ford no longer marks their start button with âFORD POWERâ though, which is a little sad.

The interior also offers plenty of useful cubby spaces in the front with a Volvo-style storage tray under the touchscreen, a good-sized glovebox with two shelves and a net, while the armrest hides a sizable compartment that even integrates a storage tray. A sunglasses holder is also up top, with the sunroof controls. Front passengers enjoy bottle-holding door cubbies as do rear passengers who also get seat-back pockets (not the net-type mind you). Youâll also find interior theft sensors on the roof console.

The last major interior detail Iâd like to mention are the beautiful 8-color (well, 3 of those colors are blues) LED ambience lighting, which illuminates under the rear air-con vents, the front footwells, front storage spaces and front door handles. I'd say they could be brighter though.

Visibility from the driverâs seat is a little compromised for the front and rear quarters, thanks to rather thick pillars, but forward, sideward and rear visibility is all fine.

It's interesting to note that the 1.0L EcoBoost thus still has one of, if not the highest power/capacity ratios in the budding three-cylinder eco-mill class - 125ps/litre. By comparison the 1.2L PureTech does 130ps (108.3ps/litre) and BMW's 1.5L as seen in the 218 AT/GT does about 136ps I think (that's 90.6ps/litre)

However, the 1.0L EcoBoost is arguably not the most efficient three cylinder we can buy today. -_- Doesn't help that it encourages you to [drivingcar] and damage the economy numbers.

My kind of reviewing style, thanks for that, an excellent read. Do you have Apple Carplay or Android Auto?
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

My kind of reviewing style, thanks for that, an excellent read. Do you have Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

Welcome. No to either, the Ford SYNC II by Microsoft system is pretty much its own thing. It covers all the necessities however - here's a quick rundown of its useful features:

Phone integration, calls, call logs and phonebook, voice-activated dialing

Multiple simultaneous Bluetooth device connectivity and memory (i.e. remembers multiple devices and can connect to a separate audio and phone sources concurrently)

WiFi update and internet connectivity

Media playback via USB (2-ports), SD card

Wallpaper setting

Apps interface (never gotten into this though, it's not a mirroring system like AA or ACP, but I think some phone apps can connect)

Navigation and Information (well, we don't have navigation, but the calendar and the like work)

Climate control (if you don't prefer the buttons)

But unfortunately if you want tighter integration - Android Auto and Apple Car Play as you say - you have to look elsewhere. The new SYNC 3 system is pretty good though I hear.

Welcome. No to either, the Ford SYNC II by Microsoft system is pretty much its own thing. It covers all the necessities however - here's a quick rundown of its useful features:

Phone integration, calls, call logs and phonebook, voice-activated dialing

Multiple simultaneous Bluetooth device connectivity and memory (i.e. remembers multiple devices and can connect to a separate audio and phone sources concurrently)

WiFi update and internet connectivity

Media playback via USB (2-ports), SD card

Wallpaper setting

Apps interface (never gotten into this though, it's not a mirroring system like AA or ACP, but I think some phone apps can connect)

Navigation and Information (well, we don't have navigation, but the calendar and the like work)

Climate control (if you don't prefer the buttons)

But unfortunately if you want tighter integration - Android Auto and Apple Car Play as you say - you have to look elsewhere. The new SYNC 3 system is pretty good though I hear.

Basic sync, which is what I have too in my Legacy, is good enough for me for now. No navigation, eh? Just like mine. But you do have SD card playback, which I wish I had. I wonder what apps you can use. I don't have that ability.

Turbocharged

Basic sync, which is what I have too in my Legacy, is good enough for me for now. No navigation, eh? Just like mine. But you do have SD card playback, which I wish I had. I wonder what apps you can use. I don't have that ability.

It's also able to index and play libraries on mobile devices plugged in via USB (charges also) such as phones or even my WALKMAN, though I prefer to use Bluetooth at the moment for various reasons. I also always have a SD card inserted with a fair sized library of my music as a fall back.

I did look up a little on what out there works with SYNC, it seems that SYNC (first gen at least) has more integration with iPhones than other smartphones (ironically). I did download an app that allegedly works with SYNC called cityseekr but I never got around to bothering with it seeing as cityseekr doesn't cover Singapore.

I still hypothesize the car might have a GPS module installed but at any rate it definitely does not have the map/navigation in the software enabled.

Bro 7hm thanks for the review... finally... good job. But still incomplete... driving dynamics not in? Also day to day living experience since you owned the car for more than a year?

It's also able to index and play libraries on mobile devices plugged in via USB (charges also) such as phones or even my WALKMAN, though I prefer to use Bluetooth at the moment for various reasons. I also always have a SD card inserted with a fair sized library of my music as a fall back.

I did look up a little on what out there works with SYNC, it seems that SYNC (first gen at least) has more integration with iPhones than other smartphones (ironically). I did download an app that allegedly works with SYNC called cityseekr but I never got around to bothering with it seeing as cityseekr doesn't cover Singapore.

I still hypothesize the car might have a GPS module installed but at any rate it definitely does not have the map/navigation in the software enabled.

Being able to play music files on USB flash drives and the like is common enough, but it must be really handy to have an additional storage option in the SD card slot. I'd keep a card semi-permanently inserted too if I were you.

A disabled GPS module, eh? That would drive me crazy, and I'd be on a mission to activate it somehow, in spite of the HU not having compatible firmware, etc.

Bro 7hm thanks for the review... finally... good job. But still incomplete... driving dynamics not in? Also day to day living experience since you owned the car for more than a year?

I'm also curious how you like the paddle shifters, and how you feel about the transmission in general.

↡ Advertisement