Mr Lee Kuan Yew wanted Oxley Road home demolished

Duckduck

I have not seen or been to Sir Stamford Raffles or Mr Lim Bo Seng house too. One is the founder of modern Singapore, another is a national hero of WWII. Are their houses retained or even replicated to tell us how these people lived their lives and influenced by their lives to make important decisions for the country?

LKY has already made his point to demolish the house so as not to become a personality cult after him long before his prime. If people really want remember him, follow his values and spread and teach it to the next generations. That's what he really wanted.

And what kind of mistakes did he made? It's his will, his wish. And it's a wise move because in many other countries, ex-leaders often eract or retain monuments to remember these people and for the sake of existence. Many of the monuments have either been forsaken, or extravagantly repackaged to mislead or twist the values behind these people.

It's not how much we keep these monuments to respect and remember these people, it's how we respect and carry out their wishes to respect them and remember their values. If not, are we really teaching the right things to the next generations about these people? Or are we just want to be selfish on our part just to make ourselves look good because we defy a dead man's wish to retain a monument to create a personality cult in which is not in his values? Is this the right thing to teach?

Else there will be never ending of this. Remembered how some people wanted to rename Changi Airport just after his death? Is this idea going to be spread in future?

Not only he himself wanted the house to demolish. It's also his wife wishes too. What is it so hard to fulfill a simple wish for a person who has done so much for the country?

That said... i am all for respecting his wishes... 

tho i think he also deserves a monument for all that he has done...  

not just a random place named after him... 

the demolition issue is discussed at minister level.

its machiam like discussing hogging on 1st lane at 90km/h at mcf level.

lol .. u need to clarify...  who is the perceived tailgater... and who is sam

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

ya lar...i know....why quote from 'their' source! If i remembered right this 'founding father' is a recent introduction maybe a few yrs before his death. I wasnt thought that in school.......really! Maybe i can say he was one of the the founding father of PAP.......Singapore existed way before Raffles stepped foot on it......but still i was taught Raffles was the founder of Singapore. I think the term Founder of Modern Singapore was coined in the 80s or 90s.....only recently it was changed to Founder of Singapore......subtle right?
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

no matter whether its LKY or ABC or XYZ will, should still respect the wishes... there is more to the saga than meets the eye... hopefully as time pass, the truth will water drop rock out...

From an alternative source that I read, William Farquhar was the real founding father who did the work behind the scenes while Raffles took all the credit :D

He was a leader of Singapore.....not founding father! Even Raffles was not a founding father....was said he had heard of Singapura and to challenge the Dutch East Indies which was a major player in this region then he went all out to rediscover Singapura. He found it and rest is history......Yes LKY and his team made what we are now and to that we have to give them the utmost respect. A Captain cant possibly run his ship alone......he needs everybody to work together and for a common goal.

Erm.. the website belongs to PAP.

The title of founding leader is given to LKY.

So it is right to conclude that LKY is the founding leader of PAP, not Singapore.

ya lar...i know....why quote from 'their' source! If i remembered right this 'founding father' is a recent introduction maybe a few yrs before his death. I wasnt thought that in school.......really! Maybe i can say he was one of the the founding father of PAP.......Singapore existed way before Raffles stepped foot on it......but still i was taught Raffles was the founder of Singapore. I think the term Founder of Modern Singapore was coined in the 80s or 90s.....only recently it was changed to Founder of Singapore......subtle right?

Turbocharged

From an alternative source that I read, William Farquhar was the real founding father who did the work behind the scenes while Raffles took all the credit :D

Something like men fight ATEC while the CO gets credit? [:p]

Supersonic

one of the most kelian guys ever... everytime someone calls him by his surname, macam kena scold
  • Praise 1

Ya, something like that. So the CO can claim he gave the guys proper training mah :D

Something like men fight ATEC while the CO gets credit? [:p]

Actually I didn't know that he played such an important role until I read that alternative source.

I don't remember Farquhar getting any credit for modernizing Singapore when I was studying :D

one of the most kelian guys ever... everytime someone calls him by his surname, macam kena scold

Supersonic

Actually I didn't know that he played such an important role until I read that alternative source.

I don't remember Farquhar getting any credit for modernizing Singapore when I was studying :D

yup, always good to read alternative sources, cannot take MOE approved textbook content wholesale [lipsrsealed]

yup, always good to read alternative sources, cannot take MOE approved textbook content wholesale [lipsrsealed]

But cannot give MOE non-approved answer

Your argument so flawed. What historical value? Other than it is a place that LKY stayed in, it held no other value to me. I have never in my life went into that house nor even pass by that road. Have you visited the place?

There are so many other places of value that people were attached to that were torn down and demolished for the purpose of redevelopment.

There are museums that showcase buildings, cultures and historical facts, Oxley could be too. Nobody needs to preserve the place to remember it. The important rooms just need to be replicated at a museum somewhere to teach the next generation what happened and have the facts recorded in history books, like all the other history.

My point - historical value is decided by gov - not you and no matter how many agree with you haha.

And it has been decided - Oxley has historical value.  [:p]

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/sites/pmo2016/files/MC_Report_38_Oxley_Road_Annex_B.pdf

Supercharged

Lwl shd get contractor to 'remodel' the house while she is still living there.. Maybe then no more historical value liao

• Praise 1

My point - historical value is decided by gov - not you and no matter how many agree with you haha.

And it has been decided - Oxley has historical value. [:p]

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/sites/pmo2016/files/MC_Report_38_Oxley_Road_Annex_B.pdf

PMO override will of an individual.

That individual will has been confirmed by Singapore court.

Does that constitute contempt of court?

(edited)

Master Food. 

Cook Master Food quality. 

Has always will been will always be. 

Remember chicken skin has to be crispy. 

Oh man.  Unless it's mass protest to let the old man get his supposed wish,  it's a done deal. 

Either way,  the best cook advances. 

Oh yes.  You are only a judge when the producer says you are the judge. 

Best dish only when the judge says so. 

Edited by Datsun366
↡ Advertisement